General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

HVAC Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: HVAC Questions

Re-soldered all connections on the climate controller the seller gave me and installed it today. PITA green harness connector to climate controller took a long time to disconnect but, finally removed it. Didn't start engine. With key in the second position pressed each button and all lit up and engaged appropriate functions.

Removed heater hoses pre and post heater (ball) valve and noted the location where it best shuts off coolant flow. To get it into optimum closed position I had to drill out additional holes in the mounting bracket and drill out the pieces in between the original bolt holes and the new holes. Can slide valve's mounting position now. I will bleed coolant tomorrow and test vent temps.
Old 02-23-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Bled coolant. A/C blowing cold but, now only coming out of floor vent regardless of vent selection. Not sure if it's due to climate control, blend door actuator or actuator arm came off. Too tired to bother with it after working the night before, repairing: subwoofer wiring, driver's side door speaker wiring and driver's side window came off track.
Are 5th gens the same as 6th gens as far as blend door actuator location and function?

I found out that parallel parking a manual steering car really sucks.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-24-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

now only coming out of floor vent regardless of vent selection.
Something stuck? Forgot to connect something?
Old 02-26-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Something stuck? Forgot to connect something?
Possibly. I took a look at the actuator linkage and it's intact. Can I put 12v to the actuator from the battery to test it?
Cable for blend door is connected and blend door linkage is moving properly. I had to use a long plier (for hose clamps) to pull on the green connector's (back of climate control) wiring harness. I didn't intend to do it that way but, not a lot of choices. Even at that it wouldn't come out so I ended up using a rotoray tool to cut out that annoying plastic piece that is right above the green connector. After that was out of the way I had access to the green connector with my hand but, still took needle nose vice grips around the sides of the green connector while I pushed on the connecter's tab to finally remove it.

I could swear that when I briefly checked the climate control unit during the inititial install I could each vent setting click in accordance with it's associated button. I had to epoxy the cable onto the bottom of the climate control unit because the plastic tabs that hold the cable sheath in place were broke off. I didn't notice it until I was installing the unit. Epoxy seems to be holding the cable well though.

Bought this yesterday: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ver-92630.html to ease removal of those front screws for climate control. Plan to find the issue today when I get off work.

Couldn't find a pic. I cut off off that black, plastic center piece at the 5:54 mark in video. That peice doesn't seem to do much structually and it's right in the damn way of climate control harness:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can I put 12v to the actuator from the battery to test it?
If you don't know what you are doing, there's a good chance you can ruin it.

The service manual tells how to test it
Old 02-26-2017

If you don't know what you are doing, there's a good chance you can ruin it.

The service manual tells how to test it
Testing shown in this thread: http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-c...civic-2816037/
Old 02-26-2017

I was gonna say if you figure out how to make the mode controller run manually, then you should be able to use that info for voltmeter testing in the car to see if proper signals are coming from the control panel......then I remembered you are using a different panel....

so.....Plug in your original controller, see if mode motor works again with that...

Swaptronics
Old 02-26-2017

so.....Plug in your original controller, see if mode motor works again with that... Swaptronics
Since I cut that plastic piece out and have easy access to both climate control connections I can most likely remove air vent and pull the harnesses up and through and connect to the old controller to test without removing the stereo and climate controller.
Old 02-27-2017

Turned out to be loose or break in green harness wire(s). I pulled the wire harness tighter using a zip tie, wiggled them around, test drive and seems to be holding up well. I have an extra harness if need be but, will see how this setup holds up. All buttons are lighting up and functioning properly now.

Still not 100% satisfied with heater valve so will approach that eventually. Will pull one from junkyard and extra cables next time I go picking.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-27-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2017

While engine cold turned on a/c this morning (ambient temp around 75 degrees, slighlty humid) and it blew (by feel, not thermometer) very cold. After five minutes of driving at operating temp air felt the same level of coldness out of vents. I plan to check tonight after work with infrared temp thermometer from cold start to operating temp.

I need to take a look at the evaporator and see how clean or dirty it is. Also, going to get an estimate on darker tint before summer.
Old 03-03-2017

Yesterday morning ambient temp 70 and low humidity. Used digital cooking thermometer in vent, fan on 4, temp quickly got down 42 degrees. Driving for 15 minutes vent temp stayed around 42-44 degrees.

Yesterday afternoon ambient temp 80 with mild humidity. Vent temp on cold start and after 15 minutes of driving was 42-44 degrees. Infrared thermometer reading were in high 30's.

My kids are paying for windows tinting as a birthday present.
Old 03-03-2017

Sounds like you're winning now. Went from 60* to 42*F, that's a hell of an improvement
Old 03-03-2017

Sounds like you're winning now. Went from 60* to 42*F, that's a hell of an improvement
Pretty cool (literally). Thanks again for all your help and guidance. Next up is the steering rack and after that should be done for a while.
Old 03-03-2017

winning
Old 03-03-2017

I used tiger blood freon.