General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

The cops made me see reality

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point

<< mental note: don't attend Loyola University >>

No please don't listen to this guy. I can't believe he said that. I go to that school and believe me I haven't met a hypocrite like that guy. Qcksilvr, I now understand what you mean, one bad apple spoils the whole image for everybody. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-17-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point

<<
I've been pulled over maybe close to 30 times, I've never disrespected an officer. That may be why I don't have any points and whatnot. You'd get much, much farther people if you have you have manners. You might just get a warning instead. Ever think about what a cop thinks when he walks up to your window? Maybe, "what if he has a gun? what if I end up a statistic for my mother to hear about on the news?" Seriously, if you walk to the deeper end of the water the horizon would look better. Sounds cheesy maybe but it's the truth.
>>

I totally agree. Every time I get stopped I treat the officer with the respect he deserves and the respect I want to be treated with.

I do everything I can to ease any fears he has as he approaches my vehicle. I turn on my dome light (if it's night) and wave to him so he knows I've seen him and then I promptly pull as far over as possible so he doesn't have to worry about getting clipped by traffic. I turn the engine off and put the keys on the dash, I roll down both windows, I take my shades off if it's daytime, and I patiently wait for him to approach with both hands on the wheel.

When he asks to see my license I tell him which pocket I am going to reach into in order to produce my wallet. Unfortunately I still get ticketed more often than not, but extending some common courtesy never hurts.

On a bit of a different topic... I have a story that still gets me steamed to this day...

One night I was following someone who was clearly drunk. I followed him as he exited the freeway until he stopped. I then drove around until I found an officer and told him where this drunk driver was. He said, "Oh, there's a motel around there. He probably stopped for the night." He then proceded to go over my car with a fine tooth comb, "Ah, you have blue headlights, your mirror's broken and your car is lowered. You're looking at a lot of equpiment tickets man." I was thinking, "WHAT THE FSCK?!! You have GOT to be kidding me!" I remained calm and courteous in my dialogue, but my God I couldn't believe it. After about 5 minutes of this someone entered the parking lot we were in with his stereo blasting and the officer said, "Go ahead and get out of here, I'm gonna go jack this guy up." I drove out of there completely shocked. Here I was trying to be a good little citizen and the officer couldn't care less.

I learned a lesson that night and from now on I'll just call 911 and give them the plate. Not like that ever does any good, but fsck it, I'm not going to risk getting fscked over.

I'm not ranting against police or any stereotype or anyone other than that particular officer. Damn he pissed me off.

That having been said I have told police about a group of reckless drivers in a parking lot and they promptly took care of it... so I guess you're taking a chance when you take time to inform on someone.

Whew. Sorry for the book-length post.
Old 05-17-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with what you do--I appreciate people that put their dome lights on and keep their hands in plain view. Sometimes people get annoyed at how bright I light the road up (I mostly work nights) with the side spot light, the brights, and what is called "take down lights" which are extremely bright, forward facing white lights mounted on the overhead light bar of marked police units, however this is all for my safety. In addition, by turning the dome light on, rolling down your window (and all others if they are tinted) shows me that you have nothing to hide.
Old 05-17-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha. One time, I got lost visiting some friends, so I pulled into this driveway so I could turn around. It was no more than 20 feet long, but it was to some company that was closed for the night..locked up gate and all. When I was about to pull out, this stealth cop (lights were all off) pulls up in front of me and flips on his "take down lights" and pulls up beside me. It made him totally disappear. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] I was like "damn, what did I do?" He was asking me questions like I was trying to rob the place. I was afraid I was gonna get a ticket for making an illegal turn into the driveway or something.

-Kre
Old 05-17-2002
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
This is why I am becoming a firefighter(on the lighter side) And to ripper, the tint in cali is legal in the front as long as it is 60% viewable. The back can be as dark as you want it. No limit. However the tint can not be reflective. This come directly from the local police department and friends father who is a traffic police officer.
Old 05-17-2002
Registered!!

Same applies for NYS tint law...
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

RunawaySoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Silver, why not post a new topic about the dos and don'ts of customizing your car? Some of us would take note to avoid future troubles. As for tints, mine is 20%, which I know is illegal, but since I live in Atlanta, they're worried about other stuff. Heck, since we've just been voted #1 smoggiest city in the US, over LA, I figure they probably wouldn't even see my entire car! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

Mekenna is an unknown quantity at this point
Any tint on the front windows in Cali is illegal [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
This is from the CHP webpage..

"Any tinting to the car's windows is only allowed to the windows to the rear of the front seat. Some people think that a certain percentage of tinting is allowed to the front seat windows. This would be wrong. Police do not need a special tool to check the tinting. We simply compare it to other car's windows on the road. No type of window shade is legal to these same windows."

"Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced."

Old 05-18-2002
Premium Member

kempster will become famous soon enoughkempster will become famous soon enough
qcksilver i was just wondering what part of new york you are an ofiicer
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

I'm with a county department in Long Island, NY, about 18 miles from New York City jurisdiction. I could try posting the do's and don'ts however, the New York State Vehicle and Traffic law is close to 2,000 pages. There is a law for everything; the newest one being section 1225, the cell phone law (stupid in my opinion).
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

HondaUSDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 05-18-2002
Premium Member

kempster will become famous soon enoughkempster will become famous soon enough
qcksilever where on long island b/c i'm in bellmore in nassau county
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

I'm in Nassau County as well; I tried private messaging for the area I am usually in. I'm not in the precinct that covers your area however.
Old 05-18-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
i really have no comment about cops .
they do their job right and hell if they pull me over then i must have done something wrong.
even if its for my exhuast. ill understand and as long as he/she tells me its wrong ill do my best to cope with it.
they keep our streets safe and punks away from us so we can sleep safe
props to ya
i havent been back home for the last 2 year in queens but ill visit some day.
hopefully in good terms i know the laws in canada are different than the states
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

I don't really care about exhausts. I know many cops do, but I've never really bothered anyone about theirs.
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

ripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, this has been more than educational, buy the way, I took off my spoiler today, decided to change the whole look of my civic, get pulled over less and get a little more respect. I'm takin off the konig rushes, and putting on spoon wheels. No more spoiler or altezzas, gettin an OEM carbon fiber hood, and I just put on some nice Razo CF pedals. Gonna go more for real performance, less rice, and I think the whole car will be cleaner and respected more from cops and fellow drivers.
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

andy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
any harassment on the part of cops can only be construed as import profiling, that is unless they caught you racing or speeding in a wreckless manner. I have never had a bad experience with cops who pulled me over since one time I was going 105 and he knocked it down to 75 to save me the felony of wreckless driving. If you don't have an attitude about the whole deal then he/she will probably let you off with a warning or reduced ticket. You only get an attitude back when you first give one. They do need to crack down on people racong for no good reason on the streets in neighborhoods. Outside of town they can leave it alone a bit more but that's their job. Who knows if he didn'y pull me over I could have run into someone who cut me off and I could have died. Cops aren't the enemy, stupid kids who have an itchy pedal foot and too much testosterone to control themselves with their newfound power, they are the real enemy. They just make us look bad.
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

They do need to crack down on people racong for no good reason on the streets in neighborhoods

What does that mean? The fact that street racing is a misdemeanor in most states are a sufficient reason to crack down. I usually charge the people who are racing with reckless endangerment as well.
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

Alright, I have to agree with qcksilver on this one. Any racing on the street is dangerous, no matter where. Like I said, I used to do it, and I still go sometimes to check it out, but it's still dangerous. We've seen more than a few deaths here in the bay due to street racing. Here is something you all may have not thought about. The faster the cars, the more dangerous they become. My other car runs 12's natural, and 11's with nitrous. I will only run at the track. Why? Because the more powerful, the more likely things will break and can go wrong. One of the guys I know just biffed his camaro into the wall at sac last weekend. Had this been on the street he would have hurt some people. I have a friend with a 9 second nova, who will never race on the street because one night he was racing on an empty road (thank god), against a some guy in a camaro, and when he came down from poppin a wheelie, he slammed into a guardrail, taking off the right side of his suspenion/steering. These things do not always happen because of inexperience, the guys I know have been racing cars for almost as long as I have been alive. Accidents happen, and when lots of people are around, it does get dangerous. Take it to the track, hate to sound like an old man, but it's true. If someone would have told me that when I started I would have told them to f off, but now I know better.
Old 05-19-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
yea...thats why what some people do for fun causes us to get the punishment ive seen alot of cops pull over guys who have highly modified cars but never been to street racing and get bit for stuff like that.
life some times can be a big stinker!
actually cops around here only give ticket if u start being a **** at them. so hehehe. ive learned never to give a cop attitude and be as courteous as u can. u never know u can be let off the hook with a warning or something less than a ticket
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

andy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mr. Cop Man
I mean that the police should leave the street races out in the bonnies alone more than they do. I know where I am from some people like to race out on deserted roads outside of town. Nobody out there but the racers. Now the cops are putting undercover racers into the scene like this is The Movie or something. They are impounding any car suspected of racing. Sure people die in races, but so far no one has died out on the deserted track here, and three seperate accidents happened in one week in this area all on the streets of town. Hell one of them invloved two domestics. Why not pull these people over equally. I regularly see hondas, toyotas, mazdas, and nissans on the side of the road. I hardly ever see a mustang or camaro getting jacked up. Maybe if the cops drove Integras or RX-7's then maybe the bias towards the japanese cars would die out.
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

We don't have racing problems with deserted roads in my juridiction. I guess if we had that, then the issue would be addressed from the perspective on whether or not it would be worth enforcement. I pull plenty of Mustangs and Camaros over, as do most other officers in my area. Our racing problems occur on public roads, hence my persective that I feel heavy enforcement is necessary.
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

civicck02 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is the penalty for a non carb intake??? i need to know what i have to do... i got cited for intake and exhaust... m friend and i were at the races and got caught by the cops...****in cops ticketed hella people... my friend got cited for hella things... intake,exhaust, tint and licence plate on the dash... we need to know if we have to pay a fine for any of these things... or what can we do... all the violations are non corectable says the ticket... but i thought that you could fix all those things??? We need help...thanks

Derek

--------------------------------------------------------------

civicck02
Old 05-19-2002
Registered!!

I'm not sure what state you are in, so I don't have any idea of what the summons might look like. There is probably a date somewhere on the front of the summons. This is a date that the summons must be answered by. Certain charges are answerable by mail, by the date on the front, while others require a manditory appearance on that date. You can also always appear on that date and plea regardless of what the charge is. You would probably be best off contacting the court to which the ticket is returnable; that too should be printed on the front.
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
Well to tell you the truth where I live, I got caught in races and cops came quickly he caught me and some other people stopped us, and then the unevitable, he laughed at us and said "You call that a car?" I was suprised on what he said, actually I was shocked, but anywho where I live the cops are not that really strict here, and thats why I like it here also. Plus after he said that he gave us a warning to leave before backup comes he told us don't race in "bla, bla" go race here and whateva. He let us loose and off with a warning. All they care about here is window tint color and if you do stupid things like run a red light. Mostly they don't stop you for mods in your car.
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

In california, when you get tickets for intake and exhaust, stuff like that, you need to get the car fixed, then get a cop to sign it off by the date posted on your ticket. Sometimes, if modifications are heavy, the police will make you take your car to the referee and he will have to sign it off. Here is one tip. If you buy everything on your car 50 state legal, w/ a carb number, you can take your car to the referee and get a special sticker put under the hood. This sticker says that everything is legal, lists the mods and the carb numbers. If a police officer pulls you over and you have this sticker he cannot ticket you. Once the referee approves it, and every mod is stated on the sticker under the hood, police have to treat the car like it came that way stock.
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

What's a referee? Here in New York, if you receive an equipment violation summons which is usually Section 325 of the VTL, if you remove or correct the problem, any police officer can sign a card that you send to the court and the summons will be dismissed. State certified mechanics are also able to sign off on certain things (no brake lights, etc.)
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

Referee's are the people who inspect the cars that have been built, or non-op'd then re-registered, or smog violators. They are the all seeing all knowing guys who can sign off anything if they deem it ok. A normal police officer can sign of most tickets, but if you're car is "condemned," then the ref has to take care of it. The reason I say condemned, is if your car has to be taken to the referee, it has basically been condemned by the police.
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

blackcivic07 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey QCKSILVR i gotta a question for ya, i own a 96 accord and i have blue lights in my rear sidemarkers as well as blue lenses and same up from for my parking/driving lights, about 2 months ago i got pulled over by a state cop on the interstate. when the officer walked up to my car she informed me that the reason she pulled me over was because of my blue lights, now i was happy that she only gave me a written warning, but what's up with this? i was goin like 5 mph over the speed limit while others were passin me by. why is it that blue lights are illegal? she was nice to me, but she wasted not only my time but her's as well, she had me pulled over for like 20 mins while she wrote the warning. all for my blue lights? i'm not tryin to get on cops in any way, i'm a rent-a-cop (security gaurd at my school), and i respect cops, they have a lot of crap to deal with, but holy crap man, pullin me over for havin blue light bulbs? what up with that?!?!?!
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

State troopers anywhere will make stops for those lights. I work in a medium sized department and some guys on my squad make those stops as well. They are technicially an equipment violation, so it is fair game to stop the car. It's just a matter of the officer's preference as to whether or not he/she will stop the car.

Quick Reply: The cops made me see reality