General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2002 honda civic lx valet push botton?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsandy is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 honda civic lx valet push botton?

i recently installed some led lights in my car. during this i discovered a push botton located under the steering wheel and above the hood latch release. and being the curious person i am..... and now im stumped. it will NOT stop beeping ! its not so much a full beep as it is a quite gargle. i happened to have the hood up and could hear the horn relays clicking and thought that might be the problem. but then i noticed the anti theft dash light blinking rapidly. after doing some googling i think i may have activated "valet" mode. my manual offers no help either does any of the online sources i have checked. the only way i have gotten it to stop is to turn the car on and hold the botton in till it beeps. but then when i turn it off and step out of the car and lock it it starts all over.
Please help me out guys! i can hear it beeping right now....
Old 04-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 honda civic lx valet push botton?

That sounds like an aftermarket system.

Find the control unit under the dash, find who made it, google the numbers to find a user manual.
Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

thanks for the reply. i have taken the push button off and after a rough inspection i found no markings. i tried to follow the wire back to the source and also found nothing
Old 04-17-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with ezone, it is not factory.

What do you mean by "dash anti theft light" ?

Which way from the pushbutton switch do the wires go ??
Old 04-17-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Disconnect the switch, test to see if problem still exists..
Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

Dash anti theft light? It's the red light In front of the cluster. And as far as the wires they seem to be going towards the firewall but its so hard to tell with all 10000000000 of the running ever where. If that's not the valet switch than where is it?
Old 04-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tsandy
i have taken the push button off and after a rough inspection i found no markings. i tried to follow the wire back to the source and also found nothing
No switch ever has "markings". You need to locate the alarm control unit.

but its so hard to tell with all 10000000000 of the running ever where
If you know what the factory wiring and components look like, it becomes much easier to identify what was not installed by the factory.

Most people can tell what was made by machine (factory), and what was wrapped and stuffed in by some flunky "installer" at Best Buy or similar.
Old 04-17-2013

A dealer installed security system on that car should have had the LED installed in the center of the upper steering column cover. There was no valet switch.
Old 04-17-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

well if it is what you say then try this

Put the key in the ignition, and turn forward
all the way just before cranking. Then within
5 seconds, press and hold in the valet/overide
button, found under the dash area, usually to the
left of the leg drilled into a hidden away spot,
until the installed LED (the blinking light)
in your dash area goes off, and the siren chirps twice.
(Your valet switch might be the toggle (on/off) type.
in this case, key on, flip switch in oposite direction,
key off.)

This should reset the alarm