General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Pics from MIA '13 and also My EM2 died...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
Re: Pics from MIA '13 and also My EM2 died...

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
Well that sucked. Thanks to my parents I just spent $200 to find out I had a bit of dirt under my ground wire connection. (which I was going to clean today anyway, but my parents called the towing company before I had a chance) It would've cost me nothing and taken about 10 minutes with some baking soda and water.
I wish I had of seen this thread earlier...I had the exact same problem last year, and no one in town could test my starter, so I bought a new one, which made no difference, so I returned it. It was shortly after after I did so that I recalled that I was told the about 80-90% of electrical problems stem from grounding issues, so I grounded the starter directly to the battery (rather than through the body) and away it went. Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the proper grounds and putting it back together to fix the problem. Sorry for telling you this after it was too late XD
Old 04-16-2013
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Don't actuallly have time to test the ballasts until tomorrow, but hopefully I can figure this one out pretty easily. I still think it's odd that the ballast is completely silent. The light actually came on this morning for a second and then died out again, but it seemed to be only half as bright as it should be. The driver's side (which I usually have to turn on twice to ignite) is now working perfectly on the first try. Also I should mention that the headlight fuses are good and I do not have a relay harness for them.

And thanks anyway Aetoc. I would've found the problem had I spent a little more personal time with my car. Unfortunately with my busy schedule and doubtful parents, I couldn't get around to it.
Old 04-16-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I made it clear to sand down the connection points when doing the big3 :P
Old 04-16-2013

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Thought I made it clear to sand down the connection points when doing the big3 :P
I did. Dremel tool and a sanding tip.
Old 04-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got any of these (or similar) installed?
Poor connection between the clamp and the bare wire of the cable is common. Especially if the copper wire ever had acid damage.
Old 04-16-2013

This is what I have.
The larger diameter is the ground, the smaller one is the stock terminal connection that had to be spliced into the clamp because my old terminal was very badly corroded.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thisthingy.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	85040  
Old 04-16-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Those connections are solid.

Not sure how you got dirt underneath....
Old 04-16-2013

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Those connections are solid.

Not sure how you got dirt underneath....
I think when I washed the bay it may have caused dirt to run into the connection that touches the fender between the transmission and the battery and dry out. All the dealer told me is that they were dirty, so that's my best guess.

Also I forgot to mention, even though the car starts now, it takes about 3 seconds to turnover when it used to only take 1 second to start. Annoying :P
Old 04-16-2013

lol, now my headlights are doing something really quite amusing.

When I hit the switch the first time, the passenger light comes on, but not the drivers side. When I flip them off and on again, the driver's side light comes on but not the passenger's side.

What the hell is going on here
Old 04-16-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

lol, now my headlights are doing something really quite amusing.

When I hit the switch the first time, the passenger light comes on, but not the drivers side. When I flip them off and on again, the driver's side light comes on but not the passenger's side.

What the hell is going on here
I'm reasonably certain it will not be the fault of the car nor its wiring.
That leaves your HID setup. (Made in China? Water damage?)

This sounds very much like why I went through 2 different HID setups on my Hog (aftermarket, and one was Hella IIRC).
Now I have an LED headlight and spotlights from J.W.Speaker Co..
http://www.jwspeaker.com/
Old 04-16-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
I'm reasonably certain it will not be the fault of the car nor its wiring.
That leaves your HID setup. (Made in China? Water damage?)

This sounds very much like why I went through 2 different HID setups on my Hog (aftermarket, and one was Hella IIRC).
Now I have an LED headlight and spotlights from J.W.Speaker Co..
http://www.jwspeaker.com/
Wow, I had no idea such a thing existed.
Looking at the model 90 light on there, does that fit existing HID shrouds? Looks really tempting and LEDs are much more simple so there's less to go wrong, haha.
Old 04-17-2013

Wow, I had no idea such a thing existed.
Looking at the model 90 light on there, does that fit existing HID shrouds? Looks really tempting and LEDs are much more simple so there's less to go wrong, haha.
I have no clue man, you can try whatever you want.

This is the headlight I put in my bike

And the spotters

(just the bulbs, not the housings pictured here)

Yes, the basic LED lights are quite simple.

Something else to think about: The 2013 Accord Touring has some LED headlights you could look at.
Old 04-17-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

My passenger side HID (the seemingly more reliable one) won't light up now. I jiggled and reconnected every thing and I got it to come on for a few seconds, but very dim, then it went out again. The bulb looks good, but the ballast is completely silent.
GET READY FOR IT TO CATCH FIRE!!!! One side of my old DDM kit went out after going to a high pressure car wash, water got inside the connector and shorted it. After inspecting the ballast, the inside was completely charred. I think i warned you a few moths ago right?
Old 04-17-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I went with the Morimotos, and actually had a ballast not stay ignited. It worked for a month or so. TRS is sending a new one out. It can happen with any manufacturer but catching fire is not cool at all!
Old 04-17-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by GolNat
I went with the Morimotos, and actually had a ballast not stay ignited. It worked for a month or so. TRS is sending a new one out. It can happen with any manufacturer but catching fire is not cool at all!
Nope, In fact, that's hot!

I have eBay HID kits, nearly 2 years, haven't had a problem yet.
Went through a couple power washes in the bay, no problems.

Just gotta play with lady luck.
Old 04-17-2013

Finally a conclusive answer to all my startin' problems!!!

I really hate to point fingers, but Kenny... this is all your fault......

Name:  Fc7rSg4.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  279.8 KB

I think the dealers may have "accidentally" bumped the connection back into place and thought they fixed everything. WRONG. After not starting 6 times today, I dug in again and found the culprit was the ground wire between the engine block and the frame. The solder was busted and the wires free to move around inside. So I went mad with a propane torch and a bunch of solder and packed it full Now it all starts up in under 1 second again!

The HIDs kinda work better now (the drivers side even better than before, lol) but the passenger still side cuts out. I'll swap ballast on Friday because I'll bet that is the problem.

I learned the hard way Kenny. You better check our grounds too before the same thing happens to you
Old 04-17-2013

Crimp, not solder. Or crimp first, THEN solder.
At least that explains some of the other weird sounding descriptions you have.

Who removed perfectly fine ground straps the factory had in there, and replaced them with crap?
Old 04-17-2013

Actually the stock ground from the same spot was almost entirely corroded through. You could almost break it with a pinch of the fingers.

All the other joints are really good on these, but the solder at this joint barely reached into the wiring. Yes, they were crimped before soldered.
Old 04-17-2013

Yes, they were crimped before soldered.
That eyelet in the fuzzy pic above doesn't look crimped, that's why I said that. (Maybe it's just fuzzy?) If it had been crimped (well), it shouldn't have been able to pull out of the eyelet.
Old 04-17-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
That eyelet in the fuzzy pic above doesn't look crimped, that's why I said that. (Maybe it's just fuzzy?) If it had been crimped (well), it shouldn't have been able to pull out of the eyelet.
Just a bad picture. It was definitely crimped. If you don't believe me, just ask kennykid, lol
Old 04-17-2013
Kenny the Ricer

They weren't exactly crimped.
I don't have a crimp tool for that size.

They were folded up on each other.

I made sure all connections were snug and tight.
Had it wrung up on a pole, and tugged on it with at least 10lbs of force.

Made sure they were sturdy before sending em off.

Not sure how you (or the dealer) broke the solder off.
Old 04-17-2013

Have you seen the metal eating s**t they put on the streets here?
Everything rusts here. EVERTYTHING. And that are above the grille tends to be problematic. I'm not saying that's the main cause, but that entire terminal was solid brown underneath. Also the bolt holding in the connection may have been too tight and twisted and torqued the wire till it hit breaking point.
Old 04-17-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Possibly, and the engine moves around in there, so it may have tugged on that wire too hard.

But it still doesn't explain your headlight problem
Old 04-17-2013

Ahhh, good point. With the wire slightly twisted, the vibration of the motor could've been tugging on it until it finely broke loose.

The headlight thing, LOL, I dunno what's up. Now they both come on at first but the passenger cuts out after 10 seconds. Like I said, I will tests the ballasts on Friday.
Old 04-19-2013

Well, I fixed my headlight by uhhhh.... jiggling some wires around and reconnecting a few things.
Both ballasts and bulbs are still good.

Now back to the other point of this thread...
Who else really likes that ES1? The K-swapped EM2 is also awesome, but that silver sedan is awesome.
Old 04-19-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Glad you got it fixed!! Probably will happen again if you all you had to is wiggle them.

ES1's/ES2's ROCK!! It was sweet looking. The EM2 was also. I prefer the look of the sedan over the coupe.
Old 04-19-2013

I like them both equally.

It's really strange, but recently I've found myself preferring the style of the 01-03 over the 04-05. Even though the 04 is more modern and aggressive, i like the front bumper and side panels of the earlier one. It looks more natural to handle modifications than the new bodies do.
Old 04-19-2013
Kenny the Ricer

^
I like the 01-03 as well...
The only thing that bugs me a lot, is the license plate holder.

I think I might buy a spare bumper, and shave it off, then paint it.
Old 04-19-2013
Prelude Owner

Yea, I agree. I thought about converting to an 03-05 front for the more aggresive look but I think the 01 with a lip would be enough so I'm going with that. After seeing that ES I think it will be best. The license plate thing is annoying. Never thought about shaving it.
Old 04-19-2013
Kenny the Ricer

I think it'll be some work.
It probably is molded on with the bumper.

Will prolly have to cut it out, put a metal screen behind it, and bondo the **** out of it.

Lotsa work involved, but I think it'd be worth it.

Quick Reply: Pics from MIA '13 and also My EM2 died...