General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

98 dx 5 speed 1/4 mile time

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camarokid88 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 dx 5 speed 1/4 mile time

what would a stock 98 dx 5 speed run in the 1/4 mile ? I know a lot depends on driver but a good driver with a stock car is what im wondering.
Old 11-04-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 dx 5 speed 1/4 mile time

I'd say around 14 - 15........ minutes, lol

They're not fast... I believe my manual says 0-60mph around 14 sec.

The 96-00 Civics make up for it with their double wishbone suspension though.

I might be able to save you a whole bunch of questions here though. I've owned my '99 DX 5sp (stock) for 2 years now.

If I were going to do anything to it I would put the sway bars on from the EX/Si trim and a good coilover suspension. I would have a nice set of tires for summer and tint my windows. Then I would simple drive it and enjoy my 40+ mpg.

If your looking for speed then the d16y7 can easily be swapped for the d16y8. That would go 106hp -> 127hp. You can also just swap the y8 head on to y7 engine for the benefits of vtec (commonly referred to as the 'mini-me swap'). I'm sure other engines will swap but that is the easiest options. Turbo would be next. I'm not the turbo expert by any means but I believe the compression of the y7 engine is good for a t3/t4 turbo (again just from reading I have no experience with turbos). I believe their kicking almost another 100hp with turbos. There's a '98 coupe for sale near me with basically the setup I just described and he says 300+ hp.

I dunno, long winded answer given you own a Camero I figured that was coming...

lol

welcome to the forums!
Old 11-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I'd say around 14 - 15........
I was all ready to post up this:
Old 11-04-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
I was all ready to post up this:
Lmao!! That's about right. I took my 01 to the track. The best I did was a 16.3 1/4 mile. Even thoug the car is slow its still fun to run! I would think a 98 would be between 16-17 seconds.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

camarokid88 is an unknown quantity at this point

im looking more for driving and not racing. Ive only been to the track a few times and one time my Camaro did 14's and my 2000 neon did 16's . i think racing is fun and i like going but seems everyone in my area are more hardcore than me. im more of a car show person or something like that. the reason i was wondering the speed of the car is because everyone i see with an import car has a 10 second car that cant run a 1/4 in less than a half hour. my Camaro is more like a project car that i drive and take to car shows but when someone ask me what it runs i tell the truth. bottom line is i respect what anyone drives.
Old 11-05-2012

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

American Muscule = 1/4 mile
European Supercars = Nurburgring
Japanese = max efficiency (no racing, lol)

I dunno, in my opinion FWD doesn't really have any place in motorsport. I drive my car as a DD and max mpg is all I want from it.
Old 11-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camarokid88
and my 2000 neon did 16's .
You're doing it wrong......

http://www.aces.edu/~parmega/articles/neon/
Old 11-06-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I dunno, in my opinion FWD doesn't really have any place in motorsport.
on that i will have to disagree :P

1/4 mile, sure, not the best platform.
road course is a whole diff animal, a FWD could dominate other platforms depending on rules.
Old 11-06-2012

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
on that i will have to disagree :P
lol, I was totally thinking of you when I posted that.

Again just my opinion.

...but really in general RWD is a better balance of steering/power and no torque steer. I don't argue that the Civic can out handle most cars but Civic doesn't equal all FWD as in my first statement.

(^much like the original Austin Mini was a rally champion because of it's size)

....and for all you people doing burn outs in FWD. Stop it. It looks dumb.
Old 11-06-2012

Man, I remember when it was a HUGE deal that someone slapped a turbo on a VW Rabbit and got it to run under 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-06-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

me thinks rabbit had a lot to do with it's weight
there is one infuriatingly fast one in our autoX, pissing dog action and all too :P
Old 11-06-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camarokid88
the reason i was wondering the speed of the car is because everyone i see with an import car has a 10 second car that cant run a 1/4 in less than a half hour.
huh?

in case you didn't see my last post, google is your best friend kid