General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Really Bad Customer service experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaad6020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Really Bad Customer service experience

I bought a 2002 Honda Civic with 175 000km on it. At the point of sale I asked to have the timing belt replaced as a condition of sale. ______________, the salesman, assured me that this would happen. Less than a year later, the engine blew because the timing belt went. My mechanic and research tells me that had they put a new timing belt in, it should have been good for another 150 000km. I went back to Delta to complain and they felt they were in the wrong and tried to help me.
They said that they would help if I paid half of the cost of the engine. They told me it would be $600 tax incl. __________________ called a week later and said I needed a new clutch and he decided to install one and to tack on another $250 for the clutch. He then told me I had to pay for an oil change and half of the towing charges. I complied as I needed my car to get to work and I did not want to cause any delay.
I got my car back but they installed the wrong engine in my car.(The day I got my car back, they brought it to me, I payed in cash and he verbally said I had 6 months on the engine and 3 months on the clutch as a warranty). They installed a non-vtec engine and because of this my car did not run correctly. I had to call them back and he said he would make my car into a v-tec engine and make it run. At the same time they kept assuring me that this was a vtec engine, and that he would modify the car to be what I payed for. They had my car for about a month and couldn't figure out why it would not work. They told me they replaced the engine head with a vtec head and that they had to buy a new computer for the car. They also had some electrical trouble with the car.
At this point he accused me of keeping rats/mice in my car and that these animals had chewed threw the electrical. I told him not to make up stories and he then proceeded to complain about the money he has lost in repairing this car. I reminded him of the timing belt. He claimed that it was not the timing belt that went but instead it was the crank shaft due to my driving habits. (CAA and my mechanic confirmed it was the timing belt that had gone)
After a month of them having my car and having to rely on either rentals or hitching a ride to work, I received the car back, minus some items in my glove box. He tried to make me pay for some of the work but I mentioned the timing belt and had that been changed none of this would have happened. He did not charge me for the work and no bill was sent.
A week ago today, Sept 13, my engine made a loud clunking sound. I drove straight to my mechanic who looked it over on the Friday and said that the crank shaft has gone which ruined the engine. He advised me to call Delta Auto Sales and inform them that they had somehow messed up in the installation of the engine.
I called, and spoke to _______________, who referred me to ____________. _______________ took a defensive role and stated that he would honour the warranty on the engine by getting me another engine but since the last engine was a non-vtec, I would have to pay the different for a vtec engine.
He then called me back and said I called too late and that I missed the warranty period. I stated that 6 months from May 17 is Nov 17. I told him that my mechanic can find an engin for him and call him with the info. He then told me he had an engine ready for me today Sept 20 but needed to do some compression tests.
This engine failed the compression tests and when I called to ask about the engine he fired off on me. Accused me of making up the warranty on the clutch and engine and said that the only $$$ he would spend on an engine is what I payed him for the engine. He stated, minus the labour 400, clutch 250, tow 150, oil 30, anti freeze 20, I would only have paid $150 for the engine and that is what he will get me. I asked him to speak with my machanic as I did not understand his math and he started swearing and screaming on the phone and even slammed the phone down in anger.
I believe that this guy has been taking advantage from me from day 1. The only times that he has ever complied with me has been when I involved my mechanic into my decisions.
I feel that it is unjust for me to trade in my car and buy another car that ends up breaking within 10 months because of a failure to do something that has been previously agreed upon.
I do not know how many other people he has tried this on but I feel that this business should suffer some sort of consequence for taking advantage of a consumer. He should not have screamed at me on the phone nor should he have sworn or hung up. This is highly unprofessional and puts me into a position where I know that I am being taken advantage of while now being afraid to contact __________________ or Delta Car Sales because of a fear of being verbally abused by them.
I payed $5000 in total for this car if you add my trade in car and a year and 4 months later I now have a car with no engine. I understand cars have wear and tear and I understand this is a 10 year old car, but had the initial contract been honoured, then this car would not have had any issues to begin with.
I feel unjustly cheated and am appealing to the Reddit to make this story known so that it does not happen to other consumers in the area.
EDIT: I am not looking for a resolution to this, I just want the community to know what this car lot is up to and to beware. tl; dr I bought a car from a dealer, promised a year warranty and a new timing belt, timing belt goes and blows the engine, they replace it with wrong engine and give me a 6 month warranty, **** up the job and engine goes again in 4 months wont honour it.