General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

99 civic si idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999CivicSi is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic si idle problem

I have a 99 civic si b16A2. Have been having a fluctuating idle, especially after giving a little gas. It will jump idle for a min then go back to normal idle. Just took my Throttle body off to clean and it started this. Has idled rough in the past, but never like this. Tryed to reset ecu, didn't work, cleaned the iacv, didn't work. someone please help if u may know whats wrong. Need my car for work. Thanx,
1999CivicSi
Old 06-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 civic si idle problem

Just a SWAG, let it do an idle learn.

Get it fully warmed up, turn everything electrical OFF, and let it idle for 10 minutes in neutral or park.

HTH
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

disconnected battery then re connected after ten seconds then started car with all electrical components off and foot of gas and brake. let idle for ten minutes. shut it off then started again. still and idle surge. thinkin its the fast idle thermo valve,if i have one on my b16a2... if not then possibly a sensor??? And when i took my tb off i disconnected the tps sensor and the map sensor..could that have caused the problem..

Last edited by 1999CivicSi; 06-15-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, now it is a surge? How much of a surge? 2000 to 1200 RPM over and over? Something different from that?

I can't hear what it acts like so I'm only guessing here.

Vacuum leaks, stuck open IAC valve....something along those lines?
Wrong adjustment on the air bypass screw?
Pull the tube off the throttle body, plug off the port for the IAC with your finger and see if the surges stop. See what the idle speed is when you plug that port off.
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

its actually almost a fast fluctuating idle. dont have a tac..so cant tell rpm. what tube do i pull and there are two ports on the iacv...wich one to clog or whatever...
Old 06-15-2012

Read this thread here maybe you can pick up some clues https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-problem.html
Post #6 I got a few chuckles out of.

Maybe yours ain't exactly the same, but check it out...
Ports in the throttle body, like this:

Also, this quote from that thread, since you say you don't have a tach: "..... and use a tach. Consult the Factory Manual for the proper procedure. Don't just **** around with the screw."
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Didi you screw up the gasket on the tb?

You use a new gasket or the old one? If it ripped that could cause your problems as you have now created a vaccum leak.

I dont believe it is necessary to remove the tb to clean in. Simply remove the air filter and spray some carb cleaner in the tb and wipe as best as you can.

I could be wrong but usually acess to the tb is generally easy.
Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

I fixed the problem!!! Did a diagnostics test threw codes P0420 catalyst system, and P0505 Idle Air Control System. So went ahead and bout an oem replacement IACV and fixed the problem.Thinkin the cat prob is the downstream O2 sensor.. by the way that IACV was not cheap like $180.00, but worth it. Thanks everyone for your help and advise!
Old 06-16-2012

So the IAC was stuck or something? Cool beans.

Originally Posted by 1999CivicSi
P0420 catalyst

Thinkin the cat prob is the downstream O2 sensor..
BZZZZZZZT!
Wrong answer.
Thanks for playing.
Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

im guessing it was. had cleaned it about two months ago, and it finally decided to fully take a crap on me.