General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

yea its not that nice of a car plus the interiors on the genesis imo are really cheap... I would rather a s2k,350z/G35, and the BRZ/FR-S thats coming out soon
Old 03-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are too hard to the little genesis
Old 03-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

We're critical of it, sure.

I don't think anyone can reasonably say it's mistakable for an Aston though.
Old 03-29-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I think Civicnoobie is actually a Hyundai salesman trying to convert us all. I'm going to join a Hyundai forum as Genesisnoobie and spam it up with Civic pictures and see how that goes....
Old 03-29-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Heres some more flattering pics on this 2011 gen coupe

Is this a real head turner like gen coupe owners are saying? Ive been reading their double take thread and one guy said his was mistaken for an aston martin.

You guys should read it, its great entertainment. I plan on reading all of it slowly.

http://www.GenCoupe.com/general-disc...e-stories.html
Most of those people probably got head turns because it was "Lime Rock Green" color. If I painted my car a crazy color I would get some head turns too. An Aston Martin, Really!!! I don't think it's an ugly car but there are other cars that look better. And the bottom line is that it's an expensive Hyundai!!! Im thinking Stock 99 is right he is a Hyundai salesman.
Old 03-29-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

The only reasons why anyone would ever mistake the car for a higher class one (at a quick glance only):

1) They don't know anything about cars. I have so many friends who say "omg how'd you know what kind of car that was" after i glance for less then a second. Because I know about different kinds of cars, that's why.

2) Hyundai is a copy/paste company. All of their designs are based off of other companies' cars. If you look at the rear end of a genesis, it does have the rough shape and styling of other high class cars (compare with Aston Martin). Part of this is because Hyundai see's what other people like, mimic it, then sell it for cheap. But no matter how close they look, one is still a Hyundai. It will never compare to the high class cars just because it looks like one.

Look at the Chrysler 300, and compare that to the Rolls Royce Phantom. The 300 is basically a poor man's Phantom. They have a lot of similarities in styling, but it's still no Royce.
Old 03-29-2012

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Chrysler:

Rolls Royce:

Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

sdaidoji,

I hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread.

Civicnoobie,

Sorry, I changed my mind after I looked at the 2013 Standard Pony : )

Starting around $22000 and having 305 hp, I don't think anything beat it. However, 19 mpg in the city might kill ya in the long run.
Old 03-29-2012

Hyundai:

Aston Martin:
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

No I dont work for Hyundai, but i wouldnt mind just to get a deal on the gen coupe. Im still, 6 weeks later now, trying to get this obsession of the Gen coupe off my mind. Its still on my mind everyday, all day, no matter when and where.

Of course it doesnt help that a lady who parks in the same lot as me for work drives a black 2.0T gen coupe. It looks like a 2011 or 2012 but i cant help but stare each time i walk by it. Ive noticed even people randomly walking by will stare too. I think a big reason why the car catches so many peoples attention is not only for the body design but because its so wide! And I mean really wide, and the hood is huge.

But this is really starting to annoy me cause im always distracted by this stupid car everyday and i need to be happy with my civic now. Still when im driving, especially on a nice sunny day, and in traffic, I cant help but think what others are thinking when they see me in an old ancient civic. Its wierd cause even with scratches and some dings i think the car isnt a bad looking car, but could look a lot better.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-29-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

to be honest when i first saw the genesis coupe at the international autoshow before it came into production my first thought was wow hyundai just took a nissan altima coupe and rebadged it as their own
Old 03-29-2012

Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Muirsy
to be honest when i first saw the genesis coupe at the international autoshow before it came into production my first thought was wow hyundai just took a nissan altima coupe and rebadged it as their own
Rebadged or not u hAve to admit its a hot looking car
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

MandM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey civicnoobie, I have an idea. How about instead of wasting that money on a Hyundai, you come to texas and pick up an NSX for 25-30k? http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2879178692.html or http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ctd/2864730971.html )
Old 03-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I saw a Genesis today, and thought to myself, that's a really ugly car.
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MandM
Hey civicnoobie, I have an idea. How about instead of wasting that money on a Hyundai, you come to texas and pick up an NSX for 25-30k? http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2879178692.html or http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ctd/2864730971.html )
Thast way overpriced for such an old car.
Old 03-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Yeah, because rare cars don't appreciate in value...
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

Thast way overpriced for such an old car.
you should just stop posting now just cause its old doesn't mean its not worth anything.. plus you will turn more heads driving an nsx then a hyundai
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

here are some more funny quotes from that gen coupe thread

People walking by nearly broke their neck turning to stair at the car.
Believe it or not, people have done it. I have only had people mistake it for a Corvette twice in my entire year of owning this vehicle.
a lady told me its nicer than a ferrari

1. Within the first couple of weeks that I had my car, I had a bus driver, with a bus FULL of passengers, stop, open his door and motion for me to roll down my window so that he could ask me about it. I get rubberneckers on the highway all the time when I pass people or they pass me. Also get people purposefully tailing me or passing me just to look at the car. Get asked about it almost everytime i'm in a drive through
  2. Allways get people and employees checking it out at the self-serve/auto car wash.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

and shift-e from the side they look similar at least the preproduction model did
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Yeah, because rare cars don't appreciate in value...
Heres the comment with the bentley, or one of them. Even worse that it was a mech.

Took my car for an oil change at an auto store. While inside paying for the service, I see two mechanics walk out of the garage and stare closely at my car, mainly at the matte black wing emblem (car also had black plasti-dipped OEM rims). A third mechanic behind them is saying something and they're all obviously trying to figure out what car it is (I removed the genesis lettering). I walk out and yell "It's a Hyundai!", one of them says "I told you, it's the genesis!", the other one goes "Wow I thought it was a Bentley."
3- Parallel parking in Georgetown with my gf in the car and a friend in the back. Come back to the car to put the parking slip on the dash and two people standing outside looking at the car. As I come out they say "thats a mercedez right?" "Looks good." . My girlfriend looks at me after and goes like "wooowww aren't you so proud of your baby!!" She knows it
i guy pulled up along me one night when i was at a stop light, it was green and i slowed down because i saw a pickup pulling up really fast. He pulls up along side me and "what kind of car is that?" I replied " a hyundai sir" i get the response, " no, really what kind of car is that" Again i say "a hyundai sir" Not Honda sir, hyundai sir.
Old 03-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really surprised at how much all of you guys dislike the car. It's gotten great ratings everywhere and most peoples consensus is that its a nice car. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though
Old 03-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stock 99
personally i think civicnoobie is actually a hyundai salesman trying to convert us all. I'm going to join a hyundai forum as genesisnoobie and spam it up with civic pictures and see how that goes....
^lol!

Originally Posted by kbook
sdaidoji,

I hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread.
?
feel free to it

think what others are thinking when they see me in an old ancient civic.
would you mind to stop talking trash about the car we do love?!? I keep the vic because i love the car. most of us in here do.

it's like going to a football game and choose the wrong side of the stadium.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-29-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

If I could get a K20 reliably into my civic I'd take it over the Genesis any day Sandro. I Love my car Also if I could roll the mileage back a good 100k
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

Got bad news - just got the news this afternoon, didnt get the perm role. They chose the other guy cause he has bit more experience. Which i know is a coverup for basically for me not 100% cutting it on the job. Im done april 25. I wont lie im a bit dejected cause i busted my *** on this job doing everything i can to get perm. To say i have an incredibly intense and involving job with a ridiculous amount of content and attn to detail with the min workload of two people is an understatement.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
would you mind to stop talking trash about the car we do love?!? I keep the vic because i love the car. most of us in here do.

it's like going to a football game and choose the wrong side of the stadium.
I dont mean it, im just in the the process of finding happiness again with my car.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Got bad news - just got the news this afternoon, didnt get the perm role. They chose the other guy cause he has bit more experience. Im done april 25.

I must of messed up prett bad cause im already 7 weeks into the job and this is a incredibly intense and extensive job, with the workload of 2 people. Cause ive heard the "other guy has more experience" nonsense before and its basically a cover up for you not being 100% on par for the job.
don't stay too much time in the internet when working.
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

don't stay too much time in the internet when working.
On the job i dont have any time to even take a break at times let alone on the net due to the insane workload.
Old 03-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

yeah, right.
my schedule is 16 hours/day, including when i am at home. just typing from my phone now :P
Old 03-29-2012
I am Epic

yeah, right.
my schedule is 16 hours/day, including when i am at home. just typing from my phone now :P
Ok dont believe me
Old 03-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The only way I could see the Genesis being mistaken for a Bentley is the winged badge.

I still think it's competition, which in my eyes are the Mustang, 370z, S2000, Toyota FRS, Subaru BRZ, have better overall proportions. They all have comparable or better performance figures too, especially the S2000 and Mustang.

Quick Reply: Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?