General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

It seems I see tons of Hyundais on the road now, lots! The only Hyundai that I love is the Gen Coupe. So is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe a better quality car than current civics? I look at the Hyundai gen coupe reliability and they score really well. Remember Genesis has only been in production for what 4yrs now?

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabi...77&email=Guest
Old 03-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

Hyundai is still way behind Honda.

Civics and Genesis coupes are totally different cars.
Old 03-20-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

honda is further ahead, but hyundai is holding its ground...

they've up their game tremendously the last few years.
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what you are looking for in a car. If u want the best bang for your buck the hyundai is better. But for the terms you listed id say not yet, but maybe in the future. I have a girlfriend who has worked for both dealers for many years and has knowledge on the subject. You can get a fully loaded hyundai cheaper than a base honda tho and reliability is excellent.
Old 03-20-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

No. Hyundai and Kia have been at each others throats for the past few years, but in terms of reliability they won't come close to Honda. Aside from usual maintenance, i.e., timing belt at 100k, etc, I have not had a single major problem with my civic. It has 141k miles and still has the original clutch ffs.

Also, Honda's have ridiculous resale value, so the extra money you pay for a Honda you will end up getting back when you go to sell it or trade it in.

The Genesis coupe is meh, but as it was mentioned above, it's totally different from any Honda. It's like a wanna-be 3 series, except not as good. It's definitely got some nice options and decent power, but not my type of car. Some people are really crazy about it...I guess I don't share the same enthusiasm.
Old 03-20-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I think a cars quality is measured after its got 100k miles on it. We will see how Hyundai's hold up in the future when they get some miles under there belt. For now I'll stick with the proven Honda reliability. Hyundai has definatly come a long way though.
Old 03-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Here's one god way to look at it..

Although the quality of Hyundai has increased substantially from the early years in North America, when they were practically held together with glue from the factory instead of bolts, the quality they turn out domestically hasn't. What you see in North America is Hyundai's best shot at quality, and it still isn't anywhere near that of Honda long term. They do sell well in North America though, because they're cheap and America is a very consumeristic society. If you want a comparable but higher quality vehicle, like a 370Z, S2000 (when they were new), or an STi you would be paying in the mid 40's for a reason.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-20-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Here's one god way to look at it..

Although the quality of Hyundai has increased substantially from the early years in North America, when they were practically held together with glue from the factory instead of bolts
Finally someone has referenced the Pony and Excel, thank god! LOLz

I was around and when those things came out and it will forever be stuck in my mind that Hyundai's are crap. They look nicer now but I'll bet they are still crap underneath. The Honda's of that same generation (early 80's?) were bulletproof and that's why there are still millions of die hard Honda owners out there. Similar for Toyota as well, if you want your car company to be successful don't start it by building sh*t cars.
Old 03-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

No doubt.

Lets be honest here, Honda shafts America and to a lesser extent Canada when it comes to the availability of models and features offered. Still, despite that, a well maintained Honda will run for eons, maintain it's value and has styling that will stand the test of time. Even the dreaded seventh gen automatic transmissions, when not specifically compared to other Hondas last. Proof - search craigslist and look at the selling price, condition and overall ugliness of any domestic car built in the nineties.
Old 03-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

All this is speculation and opinions. I'm becoming a fan of what Hyundai is doing and I can't wait to see if their cars hold up to the hype Honda is on a landslide fast. the 7th gen civic what somewhat of a fail and the lack of a true Si hurt them. Tons of problems in 7th gens with transmissions, motor mounts, LCA bushings etc. All cars have their problems but the 7th gen seems plagued compared to older generations. 8th gens aren't proving much better. You can't compare the civic to a genesis in some aspects but you can in others. The lower end genesis is 270hp, rwd with a pretty good array of options whereas a civic Si is the high end civic wits tons of stuff but only 203hp and fwd. If the genesis coupe manages to hold its own in reliability, it will prove to be the superior car for only a little bit more money.
Old 03-20-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah you're right the civic platform has been on a bit of a landslide since 01, but other platforms like the EP3 and the Fit (even the CR-Z) are proving to be great. The Genesis coupe is certainly superior to even the new Si, but I think if someone is truly going to drop $32,000 (what they're going for 2011 and newer, according to carmax), they're going to get an M3, not a Hyundai. Even $22,000 can get you an Evo, which will run circles around a Genesis. The reason why people buy brand new Si's at $20,000 is because they can still sell them for $17,900 in 3-4 years after beating that absolute **** out of them.

It's not a bad car, I just wouldn't buy one. In 09 it did set a record at Pikes Peak for two-wheel drive production cars. Not sure if it's been made into a drift car yet by some professional drift team, but I am sure it has been.

But I am a little curious I wonder if the rear diff is open or if it's a full LSD (or both, depending on whether the traction control is disabled or not). Anyone know more about this?
Old 03-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... your prices are way off... in Canada, brand new, starting prices:

EVO : 41000
M3: 71700
Si: 25990
Genesis: 26499
WRX: 32495 for the BASE model
STI: 38195 for the non sport model

To me it seems the Genesis is best priced for what your getting. I'm not sure where you got your prices but in the States all the cars are a tad cheaper. Hopefully the reliability of it holds up. Otherwise, it isn't worth it but we won't know until its been driven for 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvqwCUzQ2A
Old 03-20-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Zeferint
No. Hyundai and Kia have been at each others throats for the past few years, but in terms of reliability they won't come close to Honda. Aside from usual maintenance, i.e., timing belt at 100k, etc, I have not had a single major problem with my civic. It has 141k miles and still has the original clutch ffs.

Also, Honda's have ridiculous resale value, so the extra money you pay for a Honda you will end up getting back when you go to sell it or trade it in.

The Genesis coupe is meh, but as it was mentioned above, it's totally different from any Honda. It's like a wanna-be 3 series, except not as good. It's definitely got some nice options and decent power, but not my type of car. Some people are really crazy about it...I guess I don't share the same enthusiasm.
Just curious how come you dont like the gen coupe? To me i think it looks much hotter than 7th gen civics and esp newer civics. But not just that, its probably the nicest car ever under 30k.

And it turns a lot of heads. Gets as much attention as a Benz or BMW i was told from gen coupe owners.

The car looks hot from all angles, front, sides and esp back. I saw an Infiniti though today and thought it was a gen coupe. Its remarkable how similar these two look, its almost like one copied the other.

It just breaks my heart that i cant get this car. Im approved at my Hyundai dealer, for a 2011 coupe (practically same on in the pics), silver, base model. But 38k over 4 yrs for a 25k car isnt go fly with me.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-20-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2012
I am Epic

Not sure if true but ive been told by some gen coupe owners that the turbo engine in the gen coupe can easily go 300+ km minimum and match honda 7th gen engines.

No doubt.

Lets be honest here, Honda shafts America and to a lesser extent Canada when it comes to the availability of models and features offered. Still, despite that, a well maintained Honda will run for eons, maintain it's value and has styling that will stand the test of time. Even the dreaded seventh gen automatic transmissions, when not specifically compared to other Hondas last. Proof - search craigslist and look at the selling price, condition and overall ugliness of any domestic car built in the nineties.
Old 03-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

I think the gen coupe even 2.0T averages around 20-22 mpg. According to www.fuelly.com. However it can probably be pushed to near 30 if you do a lot of highway like myself.
Old 03-20-2012
I am Epic

The base model has the worst milage, even worse than the 3.8.

Ive been staring at pics of this car for the past 2 weeks since i last was at my Hyundai dealer and test drove it. 38k with all interest, i just cant do it

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I think the gen coupe even 2.0T averages around 20-22 mpg. According to www.fuelly.com. However it can probably be pushed to near 30 if you do a lot of highway like myself.
Old 03-20-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

when they were practically held together with glue from the factory instead of bolts,
whats the problem there?

the most amazing part of a lotus is its tub-structured chassis. its what gives the lotus line such great handling and body rigidity/stiffness.

and they dont use a single bolt on it...its all "glued" together.
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I think a cars quality is measured after its got 100k miles on it. We will see how Hyundai's hold up in the future when they get some miles under there belt. For now I'll stick with the proven Honda reliability. Hyundai has definatly come a long way though.
My gf's sonata has 175,000miles and runs like a champ...tranny is mushy now, but feels better than any automatic honda ive had with that mileage. My 5spd in my 05vp has been rebuilt twice at 120,000 miles, and on my third motor...
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Hyundai hasnt proven its reliability yet? There are hyundais being traded in with over 250k miles....with no major issues. Just to be sure you understand I amnot against honda at all! I love hondas and the design (just not my 7th gen)
Old 03-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hardcoresteve
Hyundai hasnt proven its reliability yet? There are hyundais being traded in with over 250k miles....with no major issues. Just to be sure you understand I amnot against honda at all! I love hondas and the design (just not my 7th gen)
Yes, some have hit that mileage.

In general, they still have yet to prove in the long term that the very poor history has been shaken.

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Not sure if true but ive been told by some gen coupe owners that the turbo engine in the gen coupe can easily go 300+ km minimum and match honda 7th gen engines.
Claims and proven history that can be referenced are two entirely different things. A Hyundai will never ever ever be given the same attention or respect as a Mercedes or BMW, whoever told you that is completely diluting themselves.
Old 03-21-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Yes, some have hit that mileage.

In general, they still have yet to prove in the long term that the very poor history has been shaken.

Claims and proven history that can be referenced are two entirely different things. A Hyundai will never ever ever be given the same attention or respect as a Mercedes or BMW, whoever told you that is completely diluting themselves.
I'm not trying to stand up for Hyundai and their shady past. Or trying to tell people they are incredible cars. But any manufacturer can change and if they start making their cars better and better I don't see why they couldn't be look at with the same regard as Mercedes or any other manufacturer. They can go as far as they want to its just going to be a lot harder for them because they built some pretty crappy cars. I hope they continue to step it up because their cars don't look too bad. Peoples perception of Hyundai is already changed and is still changing so who knows how we will think of them in ~10 years! I personally think there is nothing special about Mercedes or BMW. Your paying for the name and import markup.
Old 03-21-2012
I am Epic

What do you mean by mushy?

Do you think turbo engines will wear out faster than a normal engine?
Old 03-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I'm not trying to stand up for Hyundai and their shady past. Or trying to tell people they are incredible cars. But any manufacturer can change and if they start making their cars better and better I don't see why they couldn't be look at with the same regard as Mercedes or any other manufacturer. They can go as far as they want to its just going to be a lot harder for them because they built some pretty crappy cars. I hope they continue to step it up because their cars don't look too bad. Peoples perception of Hyundai is already changed and is still changing so who knows how we will think of them in ~10 years! I personally think there is nothing special about Mercedes or BMW. Your paying for the name and import markup.
It depends on the BMW or Mercedes, lets be honest, no one is going to compare a totally stripped down c300 or 125i to a Genesis. People compare performance models to performance models, and a hand assembled AMG will never ever ever be in the same class as a Hyundai engine. I think that particular comparison by the people on a Genisis forum is quite foolish.

Here's my major issue with Hyundai, they still build terrible cars to be sold at even lower prices in the domestic Korean market. To me, a manufacturer that builds terrible cars for one market and steps it up a bit for another just doesn't compare to Honda, Toyota or Nissan and I don't think they will last in the long term.

I could be wrong, I know a lot of people are starting to really like Hyundai. I just haven't seen that critical evidence that shows they are a fundamentally different company to convince me yet, time will tell and I am certainly open to my opinion being changed.

Do you think turbo engines will wear out faster than a normal engine?
I don't think, I know.Turbo engines have advanced significantly in the last decade, but they definitely still require more maintenance overall.
Old 03-21-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

My gf's sonata has 175,000miles and runs like a champ...tranny is mushy now, but feels better than any automatic honda ive had with that mileage. My 5spd in my 05vp has been rebuilt twice at 120,000 miles, and on my third motor...
I am sure there is a Neon out there that has 175,000 miles on it but its a rarity. My 5 speed 01 lx has 151,000 and is running likes it's brand new. I would say that the majority of Honda's are worry free but there is always a bad apple.
Old 03-21-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I found this to be an excellent read about Hyundai last night. Thought I'd share.....

http://www.carfinderservice.com/make...i-history.html

I guess the question is will history repeat itself?

oh yeah, and of course this place

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/

My favorite is #3 "Too many problems too list" on the 2003 Tiburon
Old 03-21-2012
I am Epic

I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

You dont know how bad i want this 2011 gen coupe. The sales guy at hyundai called me yesterday and left a message cause he knows how bad i want it. I cant get this damn car off my mind, its been on my mind 24/7 for the past month!!!.

Ive been trying so hard to get it off my mind and more importantly learn to live with my civic. When im in my car all i picture is me driving the gen coupe. When i see cars period, all i picture is me in the gen coupe. When i go to bed all i dream about is the gen coupe. I dont know what to do now. I was not like this when i first got the civic and for about a full year after buying it. I need to bring hapiness again in my car. Any ideas what to do or try?

Its been one full month now, everyday, every min on the day buying the gen coupe is on my mind.

The fact that im even willing to accept paying over 38k for it over 4 years for a 24k car makes me worried. I would refinance the 9450 buyout at the end so with interest that would be 40k to extend it to 8-9 yrs!

Just look at the pics of this car, and you will know why im obsessed about it.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-21-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Can't deny they are making changes for the better. Most manufacturers nowadays are using the cheapest materials they can slap a car together with. I keep hearing that Hyundai is using better materials to repair their imagine. If that means they can build a decent car, I'm okay with it. I'd be willing to give them a shot again.
Old 03-21-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Check this out:

www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/

2001 honda civic #5
2006 honda civic #14
The accord takes 4 spots on the board.

Honda takes 6 spots of 20. I'm going to say it's mainly because there are so many Hondas on the road, but it really does make you wonder.

Worst Complaints:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_complaints/

2001 Honda Civic.. Transmission Failure. #1

Honda Accord #2 with transmission failure.
Old 03-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

You dont know how bad i want this 2011 gen coupe. The sales guy at hyundai called me yesterday and left a message cause he knows how bad i want it. I cant get this damn car off my mind, its been on my mind 24/7 for the past month!!!.

Ive been trying so hard to get it off my mind and more importantly learn to live with my civic. When im in my car all i picture is me driving the gen coupe. When i see cars period, all i picture is me in the gen coupe. When i go to bed all i dream about is the gen coupe. I dont know what to do now. I was not like this when i first got the civic and for about a full year after buying it. I need to bring hapiness again in my car. Any ideas what to do or try?

Its been one full month now, everyday, every min on the day buying the gen coupe is on my mind.

The fact that im even willing to accept paying over 38k for it over 4 years for a 24k car makes me worried. I would refinance the 9450 buyout at the end so with interest that would be 40k to extend it to 8-9 yrs!

Just look at the pics of this car, and you will know why im obsessed about it.
I think it's really ugly personally, the performance numbers aren't that impressive, and driving a RWD car in the winter would suck.

Seriously bro, it's a Civic to a Hyundai. It's not going to completely redefine your life if you buy it, you'll just be broke and driving a car you like a bit better. If you want something a bit more fun to cruise around town with buy a cheap motorcycle.
Old 03-21-2012
Autocross Padawan

Hmm... your prices are way off... in Canada, brand new, starting prices:

EVO : 41000
M3: 71700
Si: 25990
Genesis: 26499
WRX: 32495 for the BASE model
STI: 38195 for the non sport model
I didn't mean brand new car for brand new car. I meant used.
In the states, you can easily get an Evo 8 used easily for 18K~ not sure about STi's. Straight from my local Honda dealer; a brand new Si, fully loaded, $21,500. Older M3's go for about 30k with less than 60k miles.

Like I said, I don't think the Genesis Couple is a bad car, I would just never buy one.

If we're talking in terms of body style, I think the back end looks ok... but the front end is massive.... like, Saturn Sky massive. It also weighs almost 3500 pounds (3700 with a driver). Suddenly that 300hp isn't so impressive.

It's also nearly identical to the Sonata, they just squeezed in a Tiburon grill....

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  6.2 KB
Name:  250px-2010_Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe_--_05-17-2010.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  9.4 KB

Last edited by Zeferint; 03-21-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?