General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What is this on my rims and how do i clean them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kal1fornia is an unknown quantity at this point
What is this on my rims and how do i clean them?

Hey guys, just picked up this car a couple weeks ago and i've cleaned everything on it now except the rims. i've tried cleaning it off with some simple soap and water and nothing happened obviously lol. So my question is what is this stuff and what should i use to clean this. thanks guys. any info would be great!

Name:  DSC01464.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  DSC01463.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  85.4 KB
Old 01-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is this on my rims and how do i clean them?

THAT is corrosion, you can't clean it.

I have no idea if those rims are coated with clear of not. Some are, some aren't. The wheels on my bike are bare aluminum.

So:

The clear coat got damaged (IF it had clear coat in the first place) and water (and other stuff) got under the clear and corroded the aluminum.

If it was bare aluminum, it's still corrosion.

Google for how to polish aluminum. IDK if it can help.
Old 01-01-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

That's salt oxidation, someone rode on the rims into winter.

Strip and repaint.
Old 01-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MindBomber
That's salt oxidation, someone rode on the rims into winter.
They have salt and/or winter in kal1fornia?

My bike has never seen salt, and the rear rim has corrosion. I just don't clean it often enough.
Old 01-01-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone

My bike has never seen salt, and the rear rim has corrosion. I just don't clean it often enough.
I'm sure some areas of California have salt, even if only in the mountains.

That's a lot of corrosion if the wheels haven't seen salt at some point, because they are cleared. It happens fairly frequently in Canada and the solution is always a repaint.
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kal1fornia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

I'm in england right now, and i know the cars been here for at least 5 years. and yea they have salt on these damn roads. i guess ill just get them powdercoated then. thanks guys!