General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Why a K20a?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Why a K20a?

I know a few people here are planning to swap in a k20a currently, or were in the past, and my question is, why?

Aside from the overwhelming JDMness of owning one of the best engines ever designed by any manufacturer, I can't see a reason to pay the price they command when k-series engine building has advanced so far. Aside from the slightly higher compression the pistons and rods offer, the bottom end is identical to a k20a2. The top end, aside from the aggressiveness of the cams is identical to a k20a2 head, and k20z1 cams have very similar specifications to k20a cams. At least the b18c5, which commands equally ridiculous prices on the second hand market, has a hand ported head to distinguish it from the b18c.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-14-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why a K20a?

because it's a type-r.. that's really it..

rather, from a type r
Old 11-14-2011
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

bling factor. It's like rich people going to restaurants and paying 200 for a table spoon serving of food that some guy cooked and shaped like a goose and served on a plate carved from stone carried from a sacred quarry in Salisbury, England on the backs of orphaned children.... or like people who go skiing in Veil, (where the skiing sucks) they pay the money to be part of the club. Unless I'm missing something myself. I mean, if it was me, I'd build what I couldn't afford and vehicularly rape the rich kids that bought their cars with daddys money.
Old 11-14-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that it's bling factor. Of course you could just say you have a k20a and really have a k20a2.. just paint your valve cover some obnoxious color and have a domo oil cap. Boom, k20a.
Old 11-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont get it either. ive been in base (stock and reflashed/modded) and type-s rsx before and they really never seem fast unless you are above 5k rpms and the vtec is screaming. for daily driving, i doubt you would notice a difference from a civic (i sure couldnt). then it made sense when i saw the dynos and looked at the torque and the k20 was only maybe 10wtq higher output from 1-4k rpms. didnt make sense to swap a motor for such a measly performance. usually you want more torque down low, not hp up high.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I'm also going with the fact that it's not as easy to come by, because of price. Less people have it, therefore more people want it.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Why k20a?

Because race car
Old 11-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ bwaaahahaha!
wasn't the type-R engine assembled manually, carefully with the right tolerances?
Although i do prefer more low end torque for DD. Mine 6-spd miata does annoy sometimes... Same for s2k...
Old 11-14-2011
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

E®ik will become famous soon enoughE®ik will become famous soon enough

I can't really say why. I was originally going to get a K20a2 but decided to get a DC5 K20a.

The more I think about it, the more I don't know why. I know why I went up to a K. Because my D just sucks.
Old 11-14-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

why k20?

why not?

Old 11-14-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
why k20?

why not?

You beat me to it.
Old 11-14-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

why k20?

why not?

that thing is disgusting. kicks so much ***. Then Jay Lenno ruins it by bringing it here with an ECOTEC!
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

why k20?

why not?

It's the RED factor. Just like when I hear the B16B ei ei ei. That's is a very nice car btw.

However, I begins to like the K24 already since it's beefy.
Old 11-15-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kbook
It's the RED factor. Just like when I hear the B16B ei ei ei. That's is a very nice car btw.

However, I begins to like the K24 already since it's beefy.

done. 2012 racespec atoms come with a K24

...lol and yea, if you can even call it a "car"
Old 11-15-2011
^Warranty voider

Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

i wouldnt waste money on a k20a, my k24 is better.
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

boost hondas is an unknown quantity at this point

im planing to swap to a k20a its going to be a project though.
Old 01-01-2012
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Why do rich people buy Ferrari's...
Old 01-01-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

To say they have one.

Interesting fact, Enzo Ferrari hated everyone that bought Ferraris because they were buying it for the name, not the racing heritage behind them. He only started selling to fund his racing team.

But thats kinda off topic :P
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Running Riot
"I am an alien" hahaha

Last edited by Muirsy; 01-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shift-E
To say they have one.

Interesting fact, Enzo Ferrari hated everyone that bought Ferraris because they were buying it for the name, not the racing heritage behind them. He only started selling to fund his racing team.

But thats kinda off topic :P
Enzo was also not at all interested in anything but racing, commercial sales were just a necessary evil to fund that pursuit. Towards his death, as his role with the company further declined, he also lost the majority of his interest in racing. Womanizing was more his kick, but that's not acknowledged much..
Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

jaredkimball is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I have a question for the pros. I'm fairly new to the tuning world and have a 2004 Civic Lx with a D17A1 motor. I'm looking at swapping this with a K20A motor from a baseline RSX. Any advice on what I should be prepared for? How much work is this really going to take? What are some issues that i might run into that require custom attention (i.e. wiring, fitting and mounting, exhaust, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

K24A2 > Any K20 ahaha no replacement for displacement. But if a k24a2 was as easy to find as a k20a2, that would be amazing
Old 01-14-2012

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

im pretty sure the K20A is the best of the k series?
Old 01-14-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

K20s are actually pretty nice, if you plan on keeping the motor stock. But if you plan on going n/a, n2o, or turbo, a higher displacement will give you impressive numbers. The K24A2 IMO is the best k-series engine made. But, only those found in the usdm 2006-2008 acura tsx

205 HP @ 7000 rpm
164 ftlb @ 4500 rpm
Intake valves are 1 mm oversize, Intake cam High lift lobe with 0.9*mm more lift and 12 degrees more duration, Throttle body increased from 60 mm to 64 mm, Radius on some intake pipes increased from 70-80*mm, Exhaust Head pipe increased frm 60-65*mm, Higher flow catalytic converter, Main (single) exhaust pipe increased from 54-57*mm, Rear (twin) pipes increased in diameter from 42.5 to 45*mm.

Now these exhaust and intake improvements are fine stock, but headers and intake manifolds can always be replaced easily and cheaply (depending on the brand of course) but what about changes that cannot be changed without modifying the block?

Additional air passages in crankcase for reduced pumping losses

Internals are also important. Crankshafts are rarely replaced unless you got some deep pockets. Hondas cranks can stand up to 600 + HP ^_^

Stronger connecting rods, New crankshaft with more counterbalance weight, Revised pistons with more valve-piston clearance

The k20 does come with more horsepower though, which rocks! But I would rather live with a weaker k24 an have a lot of room for making power
Old 01-15-2012

Are you thinkign of K20's in general, or the K20A (thats the name, no number after) which is rated at 220HP. Also very rare and expensive since everyone wants one.