General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Tools!

Okay, almost done with school, but now I need to man up and get some more tools.
I have a basic set which I've used for damn near forever, but I wanna get some for when I graduate and for this semester since I'll be in the shop twice a week. I've purchased a few things from Matco, which is a little cheaper than Snap-On.
I was looking at a few sets that they have, trying to get a feel of what I should get:
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/t...e=T&cat=550603
I was looking at the Tech Ed App. Core one and the Tech Ed gen Svc. One has impacts and a DVOM while the other has some other things(like a friggin' saw!)
Any thoughts? Suggestions? I'm open to other companies as well, so long as they fall within my budget(1,500 is being given to me from my academic program from HS).
Old 08-08-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Tools!

woow wow ow... hold up, are you saying they're giving you $1500 so you can buy tools! that's like man shopping, you lucky bast...!
Old 08-08-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

It might be a little less, but yeah. I forgot I had the stipend from when I graduated high school. I changed my major many times and just forgot about it. They called me and told me I could still use the money for school. Lol. I got a lucky break.
Old 08-08-2011

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

awwww damb man! that's awesome!
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Here's a quote from an awesome tech on my local forum, the question asked was what snap-on tools a new tech should purchase.

I personally have a lot of experience with pneumatic tools and high end compressors, and in my experience IR is by far the best and much more fairly priced than snap-on, mac, blue point etcetera. I also have a lot of experience with electrical power tools and all I buy is Milwaukee, I would consider makita if there was a good sale, but dewalt isn't good enough for anyone beyond a DIY'er.

Metric combo wrenches (flankdrive-Plus) 7-22mm(omit 20mm)
Metric Flare Wrenches 8-15mm
Metric 3/8dr Shallow and Deep chrome sockets 8-19mm
Semi-Deeps are awesome but you probably wont need them right away.
Metric 1/4dr shollow and deep chrome sockets. 7-13mm
1/2dr flex-head 24" long straight handle 80tooth ratchet(better than a breaker bar for 98% of stuff)
3/8dr flex-head LONG bent handle 80tooth ratchet
3/8dr flex-head stubby bent handle 80tooth ratchet
1/4dr flex-head standard length ratchet
(don't buy locking handle ratchets!)
3/8dr universals 10-19mm
1/4dr universals: 1/4" & 7-15mm
3/8dr extension set + 24" & 36" extensions
1/4dr extension set + 24" locking extension(use this with your 1/4dr universals to get to really shitty hose clamps
3/8dr IMPACT universals
3/8dr IMPACT Shallow& deep sockets
3/8dr spark plug sockets
3/8dr universal Spark plug sockets

realistically, that is all you will ever really need beyond various specialty tools you will pick up along the way.
impact sockets are impact sockets. i have had a huskey 1/2" set for my 10+years in the trade and NEVER had and issue with them.
you'll still need 1-2 sets of cheap wrenches in both SAE and Metric for double nutting and one really cheap set in SAE and Metric for MAKING your own custom tools with.

DO NOT TOUCH ANY SNAP-ON or BLUEPOINT air or power tools! you can find better and cheaper tools from IR, Milwaukee, etc.
all your airtools should be IR
I prefer Milwaukee electrical tools, but IR and Dewalt both make great tools as well. if you get a brand, stick with that brand so all your battery packs are interchangeable!

Screw drivers are one of those things where it's nice to have snap-on however for the price you can have 2-5sets of the cheaper ones in your box. the snap-on stuff still wears out and there is no warranty on wear with snap-on... you have to break it.

a tool box is a HUGE investment and you can get away with a basic tool box from Sears/costco/homedepot/kms/princess for the first 5 years in the trade! a nice 30-40" wide roll cab with a matching top box will serve you well for those 5 years so don't go crazy. remember that only about 3% of the guys who go through a pre-app course will actually make it to being a licensed tech so until you have your ticket, don't spend your cash on a big fancy box! plus you are going to upgrade out of that tool box anyways, eventually, so don't spend huge dollars before you need to!

once you have your ticket, buy yourself a gift for making it and then it's snap-on tool boxes all the way. infinitely nicer than Mac/Matco/Sears/etc and hold their value!

it also should be noted that decent SAE tools are good to have in your tool box as a LOT of high performance parts coming out of the US will use SAE fasteners where there is not an integral connection to factory parts of the car. you might not need Snap-on tools but get a good set of wrenches and sockets in SAE anyways... your parents/friends/girlfriends cars may need them in the future!
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Sooo jealous
Old 08-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

dewalt isn't good? I see tons of contractors using dewalt for many years without any issues with them (Suprised if they aren't that good hmm...). Nice on the 1500! I was also always suprised that shops made mechanics buy the tools. I think the shop should buy them and then always have them on hand. I suppose they are worried about people not taking care of them however.
Old 08-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
dewalt isn't good? I see tons of contractors using dewalt for many years without any issues with them (Suprised if they aren't that good hmm...). Nice on the 1500! I was also always suprised that shops made mechanics buy the tools. I think the shop should buy them and then always have them on hand. I suppose they are worried about people not taking care of them however.
It depends I guess, like anything else everyone has their own personal preferences. None of the guys I worked with liked them and neither did i, they just seemed to break more quickly. I know some guys like dewalt because they're a bit less expensive than the other big brands, and they just beat on them and replace often.

It's a lot like the Nissan vs. Honda debate.
Old 08-09-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Just look @ the garage in Gran Torino

That's a man cave
Old 08-09-2011
Trance Addict

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Here's a quote from an awesome tech on my local forum, the question asked was what snap-on tools a new tech should purchase.
*awesome quote*
I personally have a lot of experience with pneumatic tools and high end compressors, and in my experience IR is by far the best and much more fairly priced than snap-on, mac, blue point etcetera. I also have a lot of experience with electrical power tools and all I buy is Milwaukee, I would consider makita if there was a good sale, but dewalt isn't good enough for anyone beyond a DIY'er.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you. I'm gonna be looking online tonight, so I'll keep you informed.
Old 08-09-2011
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

i don't have many tools anymore. all i can say is, the best setup for my extensive socket collection is craftsmen sockets, snap-on ratchet. i therefore have an infinite supply of sockets and an almost indestructible ratchet. also, i have an amazing impact and drill from makita that beelllooooows ma mind.
Old 08-09-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
dewalt isn't good enough for anyone beyond a DIY'er.
wowowowowow! Hold it right there! I love DeWalt. My dad's a general contractor and all his best tools are DeWalt, and if you saw how his tools were thrown around you'd be amazed that their still working. I've worked with him (part time) since I was like 14 lol. DeWalt for life!
Old 08-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shift-E
wowowowowow! Hold it right there! I love DeWalt. My dad's a general contractor and all his best tools are DeWalt, and if you saw how his tools were thrown around you'd be amazed that their still working. I've worked with him (part time) since I was like 14 lol. DeWalt for life!
pfft!
Yellow garbage, the only people I know who use them are boarders and they throw their drywall guns away every few jobs. I guess everyone has their preferences though

Dewalts name was tainted pretty badly by manufacturing two DIFFERENT lines of tools with the SAME model number, one has cheap internals and is sold at big box stores and the other is sold at actual contractor supply houses.
Old 08-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A little more for you Mel,

Originally Posted by mangoo-
So again, I haven't forgotten about any of the information given and I am still making a finalized list!

Quick questions for Shmee though: Whats wrong with flex head + locking ratchets? And how often do you see yourself reaching for the universals because oh man, are they expensive.
Originally Posted by Shmee
Mangoo,
it's a cool feature but after rounding of heads and slipping off numerous nuts&bolts it's more of an annoyance then aid. Every tech I know disables the lock on every ratchet and even my dealer admitted it's just a gimmick to sell more ratchets to stupid techs and apps. In my misguided youth, I bought a locking head and and within a month was asking about trading it in on a non-locking head version!

Most techs who know their stuff, just tighten the hinge on the flex head ratchets a little extra to get a head that doesn't flop around like a big soft **** but will still hold the position you set it at and move with you....

If you cannot afford snap-on them don't buy snap-on. Don't buy Mac either, or proto... Craftsman or mastercraft maximum are suitable until you can afford snap-on. You will be able to truly appreciate your new snap-on tools so much more after working with mastercraft/craftsman!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-10-2011
Trance Addict

Yeah. Craftsman might be a little more in my range. I mean, if I can save a little of that money then I will. I know for a fact I'm buying a cart from there because the ones online from other guys are like 2 grand. Sucks I can't give out any rep right now, but thanks once again.
What's a locking ratchet? Are those the ones with the tabs on them to loosen or tighten? Or is it something completely different? Because if it is, I have like 3 of them and they've never given me any trouble.

Last edited by MelJ; 08-10-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no techy, but all I ever buy is Husky, craftsman, and black & decker.
Mel, I think if you ever went to the black and decker outlet store...like i did in washington
You'd buy the whole store out. Rock bottom prices for everything
I went on a shopping spree that day haha
Old 08-10-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I'm no techy, but all I ever buy is Husky, craftsman, and black & decker.
Mel, I think if you ever went to the black and decker outlet store...like i did in washington
You'd buy the whole store out. Rock bottom prices for everything
I went on a shopping spree that day haha
Thats because black and decker is crap lol

Funny thing is, B&D created B&D Industrial back in the day, This line was for their heavy duty tools. However no one bought it because it was labelled under B&D. So they changed it up and named it DeWalt which, despite what Mind Bomber says lol, is freaking awesome. My dad has a circular saw labeled B&D industrial from way back when and it's a sick saw! Still kicking.

Mind Bomber, You're right about the 1 tool made in 2 places thing. One has internals made in mexico and the other has parts made somewhere else I can't remember. My dad always makes sure to check and buys the one made from the better place, maybe thats why his rock lol.

EDIT: B&D isn't quite crap, per say, rather it's made for house hold work and the DIYer, not a professional that is going to use them a lot and rely on them to get their job done.

Last edited by Shift-E; 08-10-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Eh, it was just tools like drills, and bits, and other household tools, not mechanic tools. thats for sure.

My husky set has lasted me 10+ years :P
Old 08-10-2011

meh i just by the ons with lifetime warranties, my craftsman set has seen some real torque and it's only ever broken or sriped other bolts. but if it brock canadian tire is great for returns and replacements. wonce i walked in and returned a few extensions and such, even after using them. the lady was like "why are you returning them?" and looked them over. i said i used em but nolonger needed them, and she was like, mehhh and gave me back my money, lol.
Old 08-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by mac25
meh i just by the ons with lifetime warranties, my craftsman set has seen some real torque and it's only ever broken or sriped other bolts. but if it brock canadian tire is great for returns and replacements. wonce i walked in and returned a few extensions and such, even after using them. the lady was like "why are you returning them?" and looked them over. i said i used em but nolonger needed them, and she was like, mehhh and gave me back my money, lol.
Was that at the Langley store?

In Abbotsford they suck at returns and I know a few people on rs posted about having similar difficulties.
Old 08-11-2011

ya it was at the langley location. you do need the receipts and it has to be within on or two weeks. mine was the next day and the lady was chill. plus i kept all the original packaging intact, it was just those little clips that show the barcode and size of the extensions and bits. since they looked like no one had touched em i guess it was ok. it's not like i mangled a box and scratched paint off the parts.