General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

anyone know anything about ford...minivans? haha.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mc670 is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone know anything about ford...minivans? haha.

So despite being a honda fan.. my parents have this dreaded 2002 ford windstar.. which we have owned since new and haven't really had any trouble until now.

Yesterday, the van would not start, my dad attempted to boost it since the battery was weak. but no luck. the engine wouldn't even turn over. So he replaced the battery, and it still wouldn't turn over. My dad then removed and tested the starter, and it functions fine. put it back on and flicked the key and it still wont turn over... After getting underneath the van and crossing connections on the starter with the key turned forward in the ignition, the engine would crank.. but wont start. I really have no clue what it could be. maybe a relay issue or something to do with the fuel pump? or maybe security system? im at a loss.. i know my way around my car.. but a van. no way. But would anyone here have any idea?.. i've posted this on other forums with no luck. Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough
Re: anyone know anything about ford...minivans? haha.

id would start by checking if u have spark and fuel.
Old 01-26-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by muirsy
id would start by checking if u have spark and fuel.
+1. It's easier, and more than likely, cheaper to troubleshoot first before you start throwing money at a problem. You don't wanna replace a 300 dollar part and come to find out a 25 cent piece was the cause of the problem in the first place.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

im not 100% sure cuz i haven't looked at it myself yet. but my brother said that there was no spark and my father said he couldn't hear the fuel pump.. again im not exactly sure, im gonna check it out myself after i get off work tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

if ur not getting fuel id check the inertia switch first.. if the red button is up then ur not getting any power to the fuel pump. gets push the button down and see if it starts. the switch would be in the trunk somewhere.
Old 01-27-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Ford... wow, maybe try a ford forum?

When you first put the key in you should hear the fuel pump before it actually starts. Check the spark plugs yet? Those would rule out your spark part of the equation, they are cheap and probably should be replaced anyways.
Old 01-27-2011
Registered!!

Kevinkriz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Muirsy
if ur not getting fuel id check the inertia switch first.. if the red button is up then ur not getting any power to the fuel pump. gets push the button down and see if it starts. the switch would be in the trunk somewhere.
If it's not there its underneath the dashboard on the passenger side. It can sometimes trip if you bump a parking barrier hard enough or whatever.
Old 01-28-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

No offense....but maybe it's time for the "Fix Or Repair Daily" car to retire?

And maybe it's time for a Honda Odyssey?
Just a suggestion! lol
Old 01-28-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
No offense....but maybe it's time for the "Fix Or Repair Daily" car to retire?

And maybe it's time for a Honda Odyssey?
Just a suggestion! lol
Haha, it was replaced by a 2009 chevy malibu ltz last summer (i tried to talk them into a new accord.. but that was a fail, the chevy is nice though.) So they retired the van but decided to drive it for the winter since it had all new winter tires... and park the malibu, since new tires for that cost a fortune.

I have posted this on a few ford forums.. most responses were to get rid of the van cuz they were junk. which i do agree but again its not my vehicle, and its a hard job to get rid of something that don't run... even if it did run its still not worth much.

My uncle took a multimeter the other day and checked all the fuses, relays inside the van etc etc... power is going to the starter. but again flick the key, nothing. cross connections manually on the starter and the engine will turn over.. no spark or fuel pump kicking in. Could it be the crank positioning sensor or possibly another relay somewhere?
Old 01-28-2011
Registered!!

is the van throwing any codes?
Old 01-29-2011
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

Well i have a 2000 ford minivan and it never gave me these kinds of problems...When i got it though it had been through a wreck and the inertia switch was tripped and it didnt start but after i reset the inertia switch, it works fine now. I would look at that just to rule that problem out, its located in the back on the right side....good luck
Old 02-05-2011
Registered!!

well.. a update. we replaced the crank sensor. van started and worked perfect. they took it for a couple hours drive yesterday.. and now its back in the driveway this morning with the same issue... whats going on??