General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Quick Question: Where did you guys learn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Quick Question: Where did you guys learn?

Hey, this quick question thing of mine is starting to happen a lot more than i expected :P

But yeah, i don't know if this is in the wrong place, hopefully it's not, but if it is i apologize, and you can move it to wherever it belongs, because this doesn't really have to do with civics.

The more i come on here and read threads the dumber i feel ... because i don't really know anything and you guys know so much! I was wondering where you guys learned / how you guys learned so much?

I want to learn more so that way i don't have to bother you guys so much and i can actually help other people. Any tips??
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quick Question: Where did you guys learn?

this forum! i didnt know anything when i first got the car in 2002. everything i know i owe to the forum. read and learn having a service manual (the honda one) is helpful too just to read thru and see how stuff is put together and how it works.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'll move this thread to off-topic, no worries this is a hard thread to fit somewhere.

Theres no shame in not having a knowledge base as deep as Gearbox, it takes time with a lot of reading and practice to learn. Everything I know has come from reading threads, either while researching topics for future mods or trying to help people out in the threads that I've seen posted. I've also learned a lot randomly disassembling parts of my car to see how they work or to service them.

If you look at most members post count and join date, it probably directly relates to how helpful they are.

I'll also point out that you have five rep points for a reason, I've seen your posts and your definitely more than competent.
Old 01-10-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i feel the same why a lot bud =D. but as gear and mind said reading the forum is the best whay to learn. i'm here almost every day even if i don't post, just to read about other peoples questions. i also find since i'm broke i've learned a lot buy doing instalations, mods, and repairs my self, with the help of the forum. stick around you could be the next gearbox, lol
Old 01-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

when i first got my lic (18ur old kid) 5 years ago, i knew absolutely nothing about cars.

i was in ur shoes, however, i surfed the forum and made the forums a part of my life (like an internet blog) and this community has become like a part of my family.

ten million post-whoring posts later, i somehow have moved up in the higher echelon of knowledge.

stick around, and read stuff here and there. you gain information that way and makes more knowledgeable. pretty simple.

and we're not saying this to keep u around...ok maybe we are, but its the truth. lol

but the best part is, even if u know a lot, you learn something new everyday.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 01-10-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Like gearbox, I learned from these forums.

I started on these forums when I was 18, about to turn 19, only with enough knowledge to change my own oil. Just started talking with people and doing away with my "I don't have the mechanical aptitude to do that" and just dove in head first, using the many DIY guides and other members' knowledge as a guide.
Old 01-10-2011
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I learned most of what I know from three different places..

1) This forum (the search button)
2) My car (doing my own work)
3) My friend (working on our cars together)

Dont be afraid to take a screwdriver or socket set to your car and disassemble it. I wanted to install these stupid lights under my front seats once, and I took the seat out by guess and check... I happen to start the car with the seats out and after finishing my project I realized my SRS light was on. I searched the forum and found how to reset it with a DIY already made by another member. Later I talked to my friend and found out those yellow plugs under the seats are part of the SRS system and disconnecting them causes the light.

Just spend your free time scrolling through threads and reading. I usually click on "new posts" each time I sign in and open them all and read through them. I'll write something and check back on them later on if I'm interested in them or want to know the outcome of another members modification.

With everything I know, I've managed to keep my car, my parents 2 cars, my sisters car, and my girlfriends car ALL out of the shop for the past 4 years. I do it all myself after I research.
Old 01-10-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

oh yea!!!!! and use the SEARCH function. its pretty powerful.... almost too powerful for most to fathom .
Old 01-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Dare I say it, the solution to every possible 7g Civic problem is stored on this sites archives. The search button is a powerful tool, especially if you learn to use advanced search and keywords well.

Almost as useful as the search button is the forum index.
Old 01-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Me myself, i learned since i was a kid, although they were not hondas. I learned by reading magazines (pre-internet) and disassembling and assemblying them myself, plus talking to others when i was in a struggle.
Only thing i never disassembled myself is the tranny, but again, it was not with civics (beetle, Golf type VW's, actually).
Just out of necessity (the civic gives me much less necessity, so i learned about specifics in here while i serached for solutions for the small troubles - i actually created one new thread asking help for my own problems?)
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll definitely read more of these forums, and the manual, and come spring i'll do all work to the car myself and hopefully i'll know a lot more by the time summers here! I read threads a lot and want to ask questions but i don't want to bug anyone so i usually just keep my mouth shut. I'll use the search button like you suggested more often
Old 01-10-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit, the search function is hella sketchy, and some disgruntled members of past times deleted some of their good write-ups as they left this place, so if you get fed up and can't find your answer, or the answers you find aren't clear enough for your liking, ask. Be sure to explain that you tried searching, and all you could find was [insert link for what you found]. that way, you're more likely to get more help and answers
Old 01-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ good answer, josh
We are not telling you not to ask, just be sure you have a little done before you ask (too broad questions are hard to answer ) and searching give you a little basis for what to ask
Old 01-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Like just about everyone here,
I've only learned from this forum and working on my own car

I only had my car about 2 years so far, I had to search up countless DIY's and fixes...
2 years ago, if you told me that there was an oil filter in the car, i'd be totally clueless

It takes some time, and once you work on the things, you start to learn.

Hell, I thought taking off a door panel would be so much work, now i can do it in under 5 minutes
Old 01-10-2011

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll definitely read more of these forums, and the manual, and come spring i'll do all work to the car myself and hopefully i'll know a lot more by the time summers here! I read threads a lot and want to ask questions but i don't want to bug anyone so i usually just keep my mouth shut. I'll use the search button like you suggested more often
but please, feel free to make a thread and ask anything...

just dont ask ask which intake to get or exhaust to get or if u could put an ebay turbo kit on ur car.....and especially how to make ur civic faster.... err...
Old 01-10-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I learned a lot from this forum, along with many others. I'm going to school for automotive, and that has given me a much better understanding of how "X" makes "Y" and "Z" work. Being under the hood constantly on my old car and this one also helped and is what started my obsession . That and my grandfather was working on trucks in his spare time, so I was always out there. I never realized how awesome cars were until I actually got my own. One oil change and I was hooked.
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
this forum! i didnt know anything when i first got the car in 2002. everything i know i owe to the forum. read and learn having a service manual (the honda one) is helpful too just to read thru and see how stuff is put together and how it works.
Ill agree the service manual is really good, but my friend is a mechanic and hes the one who taught me the basics
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
One oil change and I was hooked.
Lol sounds like a story book ending!
Old 01-11-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by MelJ
One oil change and I was hooked.
I hear there's a 12-step program for that
Old 01-11-2011
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gearbox
QFT. I spent many years here, having some great convos with gearbox along the way.

Forums like this are an amazing resource. There are tons of people here who know much more than you ever will, and they are willing to help.

The only downside to this forum is that it's sometimes too damn nice. I'm on Teamspeed, and they are brutal. A guy recently bought a Ferrari California and there were 5 pages of replies telling him how much of a Jersey Shore douch he looked. That's the kind of feedback that keeps you honest.
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

all that cos of your elise?
Old 01-11-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pics of said douche? lol

Originally Posted by diskreet
QFT. I spent many years here, having some great convos with gearbox along the way.

Forums like this are an amazing resource. There are tons of people here who know much more than you ever will, and they are willing to help.

The only downside to this forum is that it's sometimes too damn nice. I'm on Teamspeed, and they are brutal. A guy recently bought a Ferrari California and there were 5 pages of replies telling him how much of a Jersey Shore douch he looked. That's the kind of feedback that keeps you honest.
Old 01-11-2011

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold

This is the image that started it all. There were MANY photoshops and insults, but to the guy's credit, he took it well.
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

go easy, they could start photochopping yours too
Old 01-11-2011

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
go easy, they could start photochopping yours too
Lol go for it!

At the end of the day he still drives a Ferrari (among other amazing cars) and I still own a Lotus.... that's at the car dealership... because it's supposed to snow 4-8 inches tonight... and I have no garage...

I swear, some day I will drive the car that I bought.
Old 01-11-2011
Premium Member

haha thats a good pic but i cant really see how he would be a douche. looks like a regular guy. i wouldnt even think car was his. link to thread?
Old 01-11-2011

Oh, there's plenty more.
http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/ferr...ifornia-2.html
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

The only downside to this forum is that it's sometimes too damn nice.
And actually, i was the guy who told DarkSoulJour to stop posting repeated threads with well known questions back when he started .
But one day he actually started posting helpful info for the newer members, and so i was the first one to rep him, so we not not all as nice as you think but we try to be reasonable
Lol go for it!
Look out for the photochop masters here, you just gave them green light!
Old 01-11-2011
Premium Member

man i feel like a loser looking at that forum lol
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

too many zeroes in the price tag, i would say
I am in the wrong job diskreet, is there any openings in your IT company?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick Question: Where did you guys learn?