General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Is lowering your car really worth it???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IncaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Is lowering your car really worth it???????

Hello everyone,
I've been struggling with the decision to either lower my car or not. I really do want to have a nice car lowered with good handling and all of

that, but I'm starting to wonder whether its worth it at all. For instance, If I lower the car I would only lower it with the Eibach Prokit because

it doesn't lower it too much so I wouldn't need to buy new shocks for the car. But what if its not low enough then I just waisted my money on

springs that cost more than others and are not what i want. Also even with the Eibach prokit some peoples shocks are still blowing. I do not

have the money to buy shocks and springs all at once. Also if I buy springs this year I don't want to have an obligation to buy shocks down

the road. So if I wanted to make my suspension better I think I should just buy swaybars and strut bars for my car to tighten it up. I know

that springs really help with the handling but is it worth the money$$$$$???. Oh course everyone wants a nice car, just as I do, but the

thought of spending 1500 Cdn on springs and shocks blows me away. As you can see, im not loaded. So basically what im getting at is, does

it make more sense to just put swaybars and strut bars on the car to improve handling???

Say I had $300 US to spend on suspension with out buying springs. what should I consider???
Thanks everyone
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
i understand what your saying...however, i believe 100% that it is worth the money!!

it looks soooo much better and the handling is great..

i have the eibach sportlines adn i think the drop is great, about half an inch off the tires, and i didnt bother with the camber kit or shocks/struts...over time however, i will invest in some aftermarket shocks.

if i were you and had $300 to spend...id go with the eibach sportlines!!
Old 04-17-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
Just put a whole bunch of kitty litter in your trunk[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

CarpeDiem is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with you Inca..I'm in the same boat..I've been calling around the Toronto Market and getting prices...Everyones selling either the Eibach or H and R springs for a 1.8 " drop.... for about 550 installed...that drop is a little much for me..
I got the 17" rims put on and the car is waay to high! SO i also dont know if its worthwhile to put the extra cash in and then worry about shocks and other Sh-t later...
anyone know if eibach makes a 1.5 or 1.3? drop
thanks
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wait and save up for coilovers.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

SugarRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey,

I have Progress Springs 2 inch drop, and I'm very happy with it. Only $115.00, had it since September, and no shocks or anything else needed.

BTW, if I was you, I would save up a little more cash and get the Ground Control Coil-Overs so you can adjust it to your liking.

Ray
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

MexMike is an unknown quantity at this point
You said 1500 Cdn! I am not sure on the exchange rate but that sounds like hella cash! I got my Eibach Sportlines for $220 and installed for $100. Great deal IMO and it looks great. I still have stock shocks and the ride is not as smooth as before, but its not that bad and the looks make up for it.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
If you drop your car even only an inch it will never ride as smooth as before. Even if you still have factory shocks. I drop my car about an 1.5 and all my shocks blew. I had to buy the Konis. It now rides a lot smoother than when my shocks blew but it will never ride as smooth as stock. But it will look a lot better.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

silverride is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in Toronto as well and I been looking around for Pro Kit made by Eibach
I have gotten quotes of $480 To $660
The $660 was from a Honda dealer.
What people tell me is that if it is the springs are put in correctly your shocks will last
Also with the Prokit because it is only 1" it does not put too much more pressure on the shocks.
I personally think with anything more than a 1.5" drop you will have a problem in winter.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
just to warn you...if you do get coilovers...your gonna need aftermarket shocks.

the coils will compress your shocks and in turn cause them to have less give...this means you can blow your shocks very very easily....

stick with springs unless you want the konis
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
dont buy after market parts from your dealer

and if you are that concerned about not liking the ride when its too low, jsut get the pro kit, you will still feel a big difference!!!!

RF Bwoy
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

2k1CiviChic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm tryin to get my ride lowered soon....I'm thinkin Eibach spring (I'm a big german products fan....K&N, Eibach) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
N-Ewayz I dont know about lowering the front but def the back! I was driving behind a 7th gene civic the other day and realized how high up my back is, it dont look right. O and I could really use the better handeling.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

SmoothOperator is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the Eibach Sportlines are the way to go. They provide an excellent ride with the benefits of better handling. I haven't heard anyone complain about them at all. And I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
when you play with suspension you gotta do the same things at all four corners or esle you are changing the cars balance and you will mess up your whole car and hurt someone and yourself on teh road

RF Bwoy
Old 04-17-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
I just installed the Prokit last week, without changing struts, and I think it rides as good as the stock springs. The car handles a heck of a lot better now IMO. The body roll is gone !! Eventually I'll get Koni's or Tokico's, I don't think I really need them, but I still want to upgrade the struts. I'm just waiting until the Tokico's come out to see how they are compared to the Koni's
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

SWEETRIDE is an unknown quantity at this point
That is why I am wracking my brains too, I NEED to lower my car but I don't want to have to buy shocks or worry about the camber. I am thinking the prokit is the way to go but??? I think I would like a very slightly more aggressive drop (1.2-1.5") and also want to stay with brand name products (Eibach/Nuespeed etc...)
Old 04-19-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
I've been thinking about lowering my car 1.5" too, but when I told a friend of my dads' about the plans, he shook his head, saying that lowering the car would cause structural damage over time. I don't understand.. why is it you need to get struts, springs, camber kit, etc? i'm just a newbie looking for help [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

flip98hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is lowering your car really worth it???????

Yo. Proud owner of a '98 dx hatch. Love it for what it is, but I've already been bitten by the Honda bug... Already making plans, etc. First off, I will start with suspension. I'm looking at the Eibach Pro system Plus on THMotorsports.com. The price is f***king amazing. My question is.... besides lowering a vehicle and tighten it up with a lowering kit, does that mean I have to upgrade the lower control arms, add a subframe brace, tie bars... etc etc etc? Im planning on adding strut braces at least. Any feedback? Thanks guys/girls.

P.S. Does anyone here know the difference between the eibach pro and sport suspensions?

Last edited by flip98hatch; 08-22-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

None of those upgrades would be required with that kit, but all of them are recommended to get the most out of your handling...but if you dont plan on throwing it around a ton of corners (ie. track it), then you don't need all of those extras...the spring kit alone will lower your center of gravity a bit and tighten things up enough to make the car a little more spirited on the road. When you get into coilovers with stiffer shocks and springs, then you might want to work on more chassis stiffening.

Also, props to you for bumping a 10 year old thread instead of making another damn lowering thread
Old 08-22-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say a camber kit is the only thing extra you'd need, but that's just if you wanna save tires from camber wear. Don't forget to get an alignment after that.

by the way, if you're set on buying from thmotorsports, coupon code "5offfive" still works for 5% off.. It'll save you about $20 on that kit
Old 09-19-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'd say a camber kit is the only thing extra you'd need, but that's just if you wanna save tires from camber wear. Don't forget to get an alignment after that.

by the way, if you're set on buying from thmotorsports, coupon code "5offfive" still works for 5% off.. It'll save you about $20 on that kit
So if you get springs and shocks, all you need is camber kit?

With aftermarket shocks that can handle lowering springs, does a lowered car on springs still put excess wear on the struts?

Can KYB GR2s handle lowering springs?
Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

check out tien im running S-techs but H-tech is like an inch drop no struts needed im still on stocks and still good for about 4 months