General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Overboring???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prankster01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Overboring???

Ok so now I have and excuse to overbore the cylinders... What do I need to do in order to reinforce the cylinders, I have a machine shop that will do a valve job, guide job, and port and polish...on the heads for 150 bucks, and that should free up some horsepwr... but I questioned him on how much he could overbore, and what reinforcements he would need, he told me 500 for the overbore, and 50 per cylinder to install the pistons, which includes the whole 9, guaranteed 70hp, at a 3mm overbore, it's gonna cost about a grand, should I do it??? I am putting the engine back to normal after I'm done, with all the specs from honda... Is there anything that I am missing??? Could it be a daily driver, and a weekend street racer, ohhh and 55-70ft/lbs. of torque depending on the pistons... Tell me what you know, and websites or what you think, cause I don't want to wait for the turbo, and I don't really want the one I have right now anymore, I already have a buyer sooooo... what do I do now???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

civicer is an unknown quantity at this point
70 hp and 55-70torque? Are you sure of those numbers? Seems kinda high... Oh well. Keep us informed.
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
are you changing the stroke of the engine as well? you'll see better gains in torque with a longer stroke engine... you going to bore it out then sleeve it for strength correct?

this dude is gonna charge 1000 altogether? are you giving him drugs or what cuz thats not a bad price... but you need to remember that if your fixing up the head, putting high compression pistons on, and bore/sleeving the cylinders you really should take care of the rest of the lower end, connecting rods, crank, bearings, etc... also think about your clutch... and your boneing yourself with a turbo by raising your compression... just a thought...

Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

604si is an unknown quantity at this point
this is very interesting. i too think the numbers are a little on the high side. sorry that my post doesn't help. but if the numbers are accurate.. a grand doesn't seem all that much.

keep us posted
Old 04-14-2002
Registered!!

Prankster01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I've taken all that into consideration, and I am going to reiforce the crankshaft, if I can find one other than a stock one, as well as all the little stuff,but as far as a clutch goes, the kit only runs about 400, after taxes, and if I can pull the head/engine, and get it worked, then reinstall it, then I'm sure I can replace a clutch, but hey... whatever... As far as the turbo goes, I'm going all engine on this one so far, maybe a turbo w/15lbs on a lowered comp. engine, just replace pistons, and etc. But truthfully I highly doubt going past anything more than this, and the estimate is if I take the engine out, and apart, he puts it back together, but I stick it back in. Oh and those prices don't include the crank, and etc. He is relatively reasonable however, because he is ex-mil, and I am in the military so..... I'll see... As long as I dont run it too hard as a daily driver it should run fine without the lower end and pure synthetic oil, Shoot wil all the torque I'll gain I won't need to redline it when I race, maybe... but thanks for all the help and the luck, I'll need it... any good websites???
Old 04-14-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
That much power for a grand? Seems like a really low price
But let us know how it goes. I've also been looking into building up my D17 instead of turboing it. The gude package is what I'm drooling over right now, but I would like to see how your plan works also.
Old 04-14-2002
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I am putting the engine back to normal after I'm done, with all the specs from honda... >>

If you bore out your engine, then you wont be able to put your engine back to "normal". Cause you are grinding away certain parts of the internals, unless you have a magic wand that would let you put everything back to normal. If you dont want to change your engine forever, then i would wait for a stroker kit, that will basically do the same thing as boring, but without the grinding. A stroker kit will cost you quite a bit more, cause it seems like you are gettin a huge deal on the bore job. Its up to you.
Old 04-14-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
a stroker kit and boreing out are kinda the same as far as displacement, but having a longer stroke will raise your torque up more... (and affect your engine's maximum revs)

Also think about cooling... boreing out a motor lowers it's ability to cool as well as stock