General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

security for car

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk08 is an unknown quantity at this point
security for car

well im not really sure where to put this so dont flame me. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for security measures that i can get for my em1. Im really paranoid since a couple of days ago some people stole my car right in front of my house but the odd thing is i found it the next morning only a couple blocks down my house with everything intact... I can only guess that they rolled my car down the hill and werent able to find my killswitch and so they just dumped it there. It had all the wires sticking out from underneath the steering wheel like they tried to hotwire it, but in the end they didnt take anything at all. The only reason i can think of is if someone was messing with me or they are just really bad theives. anyways what other ways can i protect my car? would installing another killswitch help? im sure they will come back for another try.
Old 02-11-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: security for car

look into alarms.

the viper 791vx is the besst in the market as of my knowledge.

but you know, if they want to steal it, they will do it...no matter how much protection you have on it. (but you can make it harder for them)

just my .02
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

well im not really sure what they're doing because why didnt they take anything the first time? it was right there in front of them it wasnt that hard to at least grab something since they were able to move it a couple blocks... but would you say i should get an alarm anyways, because i dont want to spend $300+ and basically have it stolen. and them getting another new part to the car -_-
Old 02-11-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

they are not gonna steal ur alarm...it usually well hidden and its not the firs thing they're gonna wanna steal....but an alarm is an invesstment
Old 02-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it tells you when they are breaking in so you can run out with a bat (or a gun).
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i say get an alarm plus custom fuel pump kill switch and ignition kill switch well hidden. maybe one of those GPS systems... well i have actually read a honda tuning mag on DIY anti-theft. this was a very creative theft DIY.

buy a cheap prepaid cell phone and buy some minutes for it. hardwire the charger to your car and hide the phone and charger in the depths of your car and leave the cell phone on. so basically the phone will always be on since its hardwired in your car. purchase a cell phone location finder/gps program and put it on your computer.. now you can track the phone that is in your car from your computer.. the mag said they spent around 100 bucks for this set up.. basically a poor mans gps car locater. thought that was pretty sweet. just hope that the phone always has reception.
Old 02-11-2009

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
i say get an alarm plus custom fuel pump kill switch and ignition kill switch well hidden. maybe one of those GPS systems... well i have actually read a honda tuning mag on DIY anti-theft. this was a very creative theft DIY.

buy a cheap prepaid cell phone and buy some minutes for it. hardwire the charger to your car and hide the phone and charger in the depths of your car and leave the cell phone on. so basically the phone will always be on since its hardwired in your car. purchase a cell phone location finder/gps program and put it on your computer.. now you can track the phone that is in your car from your computer.. the mag said they spent around 100 bucks for this set up.. basically a poor mans gps car locater. thought that was pretty sweet. just hope that the phone always has reception.
haha, thats enough money to buy another civic....lol
Old 02-11-2009

Originally Posted by gearbox
it tells you when they are breaking in so you can run out with a bat (or a gun).
x2 on the gun... a bad isnt gonna do anything if there are 2 or more guys...hahah they'll take u on!

or simply yelling "i called the police, i called the police" is very very effective
Old 02-11-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
look into alarms.

the viper 791vx is the besst in the market as of my knowledge.
Same as the Compustar, they're both regarded as the best on the market.

Originally Posted by slk08
well im not really sure where to put this so dont flame me. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for security measures that i can get for my em1. Im really paranoid since a couple of days ago some people stole my car right in front of my house but the odd thing is i found it the next morning only a couple blocks down my house with everything intact... I can only guess that they rolled my car down the hill and werent able to find my killswitch and so they just dumped it there. It had all the wires sticking out from underneath the steering wheel like they tried to hotwire it, but in the end they didnt take anything at all. The only reason i can think of is if someone was messing with me or they are just really bad theives. anyways what other ways can i protect my car? would installing another killswitch help? im sure they will come back for another try.
Not bad thief, good thief. I've heard of this before, they roll the car down the street and pop your window out to get a hanger in there and pull up on the automatic lock. Once the door's unlocked, they quickly open the door, pop the hood and rip out the wires to the siren so the alarm is only going for 2-3 seconds and since it's down the street, you don't hear it. And anyone else living down there isn't going to care as long as the noise stopped. Then they sit in there all night trying to get it started and once they do, they're off. I had a guy do this to my car, except it was in the parkade in my building. He popped out the window, opened the door, opened the hood, cut the wire, put everything back to normal and walked away. I have a 2 way Compustar pager and it paged me in bed so I got up and went down there to check it out.......nothing wrong. All my doors were closed, hood closed, nobody around so I left. The thief was watching me and saw me leave, came back out to steal the car except I knew something was up so I had only gone around the corner and came running back to grab a hold of him.

The point is, an alarm does jack ****, get a 2 way pager, it's the only reason I still have my car. Otherwise I would have been sound asleep as this guy worked my car over but that little beeping pager saved it.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough

Best protection I think is a strong steering wheel Club. Before breaking in if they see it through ur window/windshield they usually don't try. Unless they are really high tech with lots of cutting gadgets.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ high tech cutting gadgets?? dude all you need is a hacksaw to cut the steering wheel. lol. once the steering wheel is cut there goes your club. clubs will not stop a theif. it will slow them down though. i think the only good "club" is the clutch lock one...
Old 02-11-2009

^yup. x2. it will be really hard for the thief to unbolt/dissemble the peddles down there....
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

jra04em2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a friend that has a aftermarket alarm system hooked up to a train horn that will wake up alot of people
Old 02-11-2009

^hahaahhahahah that is great......HAHAHAHA
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

JDMLee is a jewel in the roughJDMLee is a jewel in the roughJDMLee is a jewel in the rough

Alarm and clutch lock ur good to go
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
^^ high tech cutting gadgets?? dude all you need is a hacksaw to cut the steering wheel. lol. once the steering wheel is cut there goes your club. clubs will not stop a theif. it will slow them down though. i think the only good "club" is the clutch lock one...
Not really, that cud take forever, especially if u have a heavy duty club. I was talking about gadgets like the lasers that cuts through metal, or a powerful saw etc...

The point was that it can throw off many thieves who normally have tools to pop ur lock and hotwire ur car.

Yes Clutch lock is even better!
Old 02-11-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

jeez train horn i think would scare any thief away from the fear of permanent ear damage haha

most speering wheels are made of some stupid material like foam. you can cut thru a wheel with a hacksaw in maybe 10 seconds.
Old 02-11-2009

Originally Posted by Street Kings
Not really, that cud take forever, especially if u have a heavy duty club. I was talking about gadgets like the lasers that cuts through metal, or a powerful saw etc...

The point was that it can throw off many thieves who normally have tools to pop ur lock and hotwire ur car.

Yes Clutch lock is even better!
yes dude, he was talking about cutting the steering wheel.....not the bar... the bar will just slip right outta wheel...
Old 02-11-2009
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

There are lot of good security methods out there.

Things I like/agree with/have/think you should do:

2 way remote-I have a matrix model with the responder technology. It beeps at you when something is going on.

If you REALLY wanna protect your car for a long period of time, you're going to want to use a couple of methods, security system, plus, pull out one of the fuses, plus unplug the fuel pump, plus wheel locks, plus whatever else you wanna do to stop em.

An idea I had to protect my car was (lets say I was parking in a long term parking lot at an airport or something.) right before I leave my car behind, dis-assemble the clutch pedal and take it with you! Seriously! It's only three bolts! Really easy to take off, Imagine someone trying to drive a five speed, without a clutch pedal.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

i read stories on honda tech about pppl civics being stolen so they can steal the viper alarm system since it was worth more then the car..lol. i just have alarms for the keyless entry feature.

like others have said, best feature would be a fuel cut off switch hidden somewhere. But if they have a tow truck, your screwed either way.
Old 02-12-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
Same as the Compustar, they're both regarded as the best on the market.

Not bad thief, good thief. I've heard of this before, they roll the car down the street and pop your window out to get a hanger in there and pull up on the automatic lock. Once the door's unlocked, they quickly open the door, pop the hood and rip out the wires to the siren so the alarm is only going for 2-3 seconds and since it's down the street, you don't hear it. And anyone else living down there isn't going to care as long as the noise stopped. Then they sit in there all night trying to get it started and once they do, they're off. I had a guy do this to my car, except it was in the parkade in my building. He popped out the window, opened the door, opened the hood, cut the wire, put everything back to normal and walked away. I have a 2 way Compustar pager and it paged me in bed so I got up and went down there to check it out.......nothing wrong. All my doors were closed, hood closed, nobody around so I left. The thief was watching me and saw me leave, came back out to steal the car except I knew something was up so I had only gone around the corner and came running back to grab a hold of him.

The point is, an alarm does jack ****, get a 2 way pager, it's the only reason I still have my car. Otherwise I would have been sound asleep as this guy worked my car over but that little beeping pager saved it.
wow after hearing that that makes me even more paranoid. thats a clever theif good thing u were even more clever.

Well im sort of on a budget so how much would one of those pager alarms cost me roughly? plus installation and without?

Also i was thinking about installing another killswitch in my car and raising my car with adjustable coilovers so that my car can get into my garage because right now its been lowered and it wont make it into my driveway -_- When i have saved up money i would probably go for a two way alarm with backup battery or something of the like. Then probably lower it back when the heats off me. Anyways if i were to get new adjustible coil overs what would be some good ones and what would be the price ranges of those? What do you guys think? sry for the many questions but i am somewhat new to cars
Old 02-12-2009
Premium Member

i agree the best ideas are to disable the car in some way by pulling some injector plugs or ignition coils. if they cant drive it, that only leaves towing and most thiefs dont do that unless its really a hot prize. i almost wanna unplug my power door lock switch because that makes it a ton harder to break in. i dont think i ever use it anyway. the auto lock feature of the alarm is disabled so i could never lock myself out, i never lock my doors while driving, and i have keyless entry remote in my pocket separate from the car key. the only problem i see is the locksmith is gonna have much harder time opening the door if i somehow get locked out. i think i may keep a spare alarm battery on the outside of the car somewhere just in case.
Old 02-12-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

i almost wanna unplug my power door lock switch because that makes it a ton harder to break in.
I did this. I know how to steal a Civic from how the guy got into mine and this is part of the puzzle. The only reason to hook it back up is right before you sell it.
Old 02-13-2009
Registered!!

ADMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

How effective is the factory alarm system to an aftermarket one? Is it easier for a theif to dissable a factory one over an aftermarket such as a viper alarm. I have a club and i use it anytime im in a sketchy area. I figure its gonna make it a little harder for a theif to stop the alarm, cut the wheel and somehow bypass the immoblizer.
Old 02-13-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

if there familar with the 7th gen, then yes they can bypass the immobilizer. I wouldnt be so paranoid.

There's nothing on the 7th gen worth stealing. The engine is worthless on the gray market and breaking into a 7th gen is alot more difficult then breaking into a 6th gen so its not worth it from a stealing for a joy ride stand point.