General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Why do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Why do you do it?

"Why do you do it? When it's all said and done, it's still a front-wheel drive, 4 cylinder economy car."

We've all heard this question before, or some variation thereof. And it's a legitimate question, to be sure. It's completely true. No matter how many parts you change or horsepower you're making, at the end of the day, it's a wrong-wheel-drive econobox.

But as this site exhibits day in and day out, there's a strong enthusiast movement. While some people may only drive the car because it's all they can afford, some people pull out all the stops with fully built and boosted motors, race-prepped suspensions, several gazillion-watt stereo systems and showroom-quality paintjobs. There's some old saying about putting new patches on old wineskins, but the tuner crowd is an anamoly to that effect.

For some, its a desire to be different. Some people derive pure joy from having a car that is visually, audibly, and tacitly different from another of the same make and model. Others drive the car because it's a good platform with MacPherson strut suspension and parts interchangability. But the large majority of people, at some point, drive the car simply for economic reasons.

I think for me it's a mixture of all reasons. I'm not a Civic guy. I'll say that up front. I'm a car guy. I see the beauty in a 1966 Chevy with a blown 350 as much as I see it in a beautifully and tastefully modified EM2. I got this car for economic reasons when I was in high school. It's a good, cheap car. It gets great mileage. And then I discovered 7thgencivic.com. Showed me a whole new side to this car that I love. And now, I'm planning on keeping the car for some time.

I'm in college right now, so I struggle just to make ends meet. Modifying my car is more or less financially unattainable at this present time. Not to say the will isn't there, I've got all kinds of ideas. When I graduate, I'm going to go nuts. I'll actually have a positive cashflow, so my car's going to get the works. But at the same time, the logical side of me tells me to upgrade. Get something more responsive to modifications, something designed more for performance right from the get-go. S2000, Evo, STi, 350Z, take your pick. But I'm not going to let go of my EM2. With two cars, one of them is going to be going under the knife at all times. Not sure which one, but I'm going to keep this little thing til the wheels fall off. At least, that's the plan right now. Subject to change, as most things are.

What I ask is this: Why?
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
Re: Why do you do it?

my insurance is cheap, good gas mileage, and fun to drive with a k-swap.

but i plan on getting an M3 here soon...hahaha.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

svtec is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a good way of looking at it. when your a car person there is always somthing that can be done to a car.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

amazing...
Old 04-30-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

good read...

i am in ur same boat....but after i get out of college, i will upgrade to an EXIGE..and keep my civic for 50% of my DD...

its fun to drive, its eco friendly....and i can always Kswap it later =]
Old 04-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ k swap the exige.

Well, when I needed a car- I was looking at shittier cars- several thousand cheaper.. My friend had a 7th gen and was on here, but sold it for a TSX. He always liked his 7th but needed something with 4 doors for his job (hauling computer junk around from place to place)... It came time for me to buy a car and I asked him what I should get. He said he always liked his 7th and wished he didnt have to give it up. I looked at them, but they were more expensive. I decided to make the leap and spend a little more then I had to get a much nicer car. I dont think its a shitty car, I think its a great car. I've seen shitty 7th gens, but mine will never be one.

I do it because I can, I do it because I want to. I do it for me. If I'm staring at my car and feel like I want to do something to it- I"ll do it. I dont have a lot of cash, but I'll save since I"m good at it, and I'll do it. I dont see any limits- most people do. I see possibilities.
Old 04-30-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im a civic guy, can't see myself driving any other car. its easy to work on, looks great, and has good driver feel. it really amazes me how such an economy car can do so many different things for what it is. the interior looks better than many luxury cars, handling around corners is crazy good with a few minor upgrades, and yeah its not the fastest, but it can still move when you need it to. and if you dont like something, its usually quick and easy to change it. i get looks and compliments all the time when im out driving. and its fun to just cruise around in
Old 04-30-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

thank you for my next paper Unevolved.....

haha jkk

i like mine because it has nice lines, good gas mileage, and I get compliments all the time. Not to mention RSX interchangeability.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i just think its more satisfying to mod a civic than any car because of what you said. in the end its a wrong wheel drive econobox and you just got your *** handed to you by one. either on the drag strip or autox. the satisfaction of seeing the look on a persons face when my sohc 1.7liter blows by their 5.0 liter v8 is priceless. i would feel no satisfaction beating a civic with another car. because in many peoples eyes the civic is the lowest class/cheapest/worst performing car on the market... so to say.

I LOVE MY HONDA
Old 04-30-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

I have already started things that have forever diminished its resell value, so it is too late to go back.

partially because you expect an s2000 or a 350z to be quick...but to be able to give those cars a run for their money in a fwd "ecobox" is a great feeling...and it still costs less than buying one of them...on insurance and parts.
Old 04-30-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

ok i think you need to stop reading my mind civicsrcool
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

gomorig is an unknown quantity at this point

it was the best vehicle available in my price range when my monte carlo bit the dust. it is a nice car to begin with: stylish, well priced, economic.

i love my 7th gen. its not faster than alot of the cars cruisin around here, but it handles like a dream with some suspension mods. its easy to upgrade, granted the power gains are minimal but it is the experience of just getting under the hood that i love; seeing your labor pay off, whether it is a civic or porsche. its yours to make your own.
Old 04-30-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

^ i just happen to have both of those civic and porsche to make my own...funny that you pair both of those
Old 04-30-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its just really fun also when you get a mod that almost nobody has. but even with all the parts out there, its still easy to make your car unique.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

^^ ha mentioned the porsche cuz i helped my neighbor rebuild 2 of them. 924s and 928.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Because it's all worth it when the guy in the next lane has his jaw dropped & a deer in headlights look has I boost by his piece of **** camaro, mustang, firebird......then when you pull over, pop your hood, & they see the 1.7L SOHC & cry. I imagine most of my victims went home, got on jegs, & ordered parts right away You just got beat by 98 cid beotch!
Old 04-30-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

Originally Posted by gomorig
^^ ha mentioned the porsche cuz i helped my neighbor rebuild 2 of them. 924s and 928.
i have a 1966 912 and had a 1963 356
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sniperscout
i have a 1966 912 and had a 1963 356
^very classy. 928 is 1987 and 924s is 1983. both black. love cars, really hits me when im working on a car that is older than i am. have to respect that craftsmanship
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

i do it because insurance wouldnt let me have a RSX-Type S for cheap....fackers so i bought the second best thing to convert it into a RSX Type S
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

lmao sniperscout. im with everyone else though! i love that feeling! i think the greatest time i had was when i was at the street races.. yeah i know i shouldnt street race i dont go anymore rofl. but anyways.. i rolled up to the line next to a modded lt1 camaro. he laughed at me as my car was basically stock looking then. just rims and a drop. i was turbo'd but had a side mount intercooler. i went and did my burn out clean off my tires a bit and my blow off valve went psh sphsphpshpshpshp! and i heard him say "oh hell no" and he let the next person in line race me.. priceless lol.
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

why mod?
-to be unique
-to grab attention
-for the almighty p*ssy
-for the same reason i get out of my car, walk 20 feet, then turn around and admire
.every time.

why mod a civic?
my dad offered to drop 2k on a reliable car to help me out. he said no to the tiburon and yes to the civic. i've been addicted to the aftermarket world ever since.

GAS PRICES ARE RISING EVERY DAY, try affording premium gas and droppin a guap on parts at the age of 19.

and people ask me now and then, what kind of car is that? RSX? Is that an Si?

Last edited by dryft; 05-01-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

CivicFreak03 has a spectacular aura aboutCivicFreak03 has a spectacular aura about

You do constantly hear "No matter what you do to the car, the title still says civic"...

To me the beauty of it is modding your car that gives it its own personality. A friend of mine just got a Nismo 350Z and yeah its a nice car but anyone can go to the dealership that is ready financially and get that exact car and there is no difference between them other than maybe color. If you look at all the threads where people have posted pics of their vic no two are alike. No my car is not fast and if I was interested in a fast car (w/o modding) I wouldn't have looked at a civic. My car turns just as many heads as that Nismo but I paid about a third of the price.

As stated before other great perks....
great gas mileage *a plus when its $3.75/ gal
cheap on insurance
looks good
cheap car to get me through high school and college

Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

^^ WURD!

dryft! i do the same thing... look back at my car and im like dudeeee thats my car! and feel all proud of myself. lmfao.
Old 05-01-2008
Premium Member

there is nothing like pulling next to someone at night and them having no clue what kind of car you have

i gotten so much done in the last few months and the car feels so awesome to drive now i would not trade it for ANYTHING. I only have a few more things to finish up and after that, well im sure i will think of something new to do lol.
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

I have dreams of owning the fastest street legal civic in the US.
Old 05-01-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
its just really fun also when you get a mod that almost nobody has. but even with all the parts out there, its still easy to make your car unique.
its also easy as hell to rice it out....hahahha
Old 05-01-2008

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
I have dreams of owning the fastest street legal civic in the US.
then ur up against that lil civic hatch back with that 400hp corvette engine in it....its gonna be hard to beat....
Old 05-01-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

^ i never understood cross breeding like that
Old 05-04-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

^why not mutt it out?
Old 05-04-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sniperscout
^ i never understood cross breeding like that
I read that entire thread from start to finish, and there's a lot of interesting things going on. I mean, come on. That guy totaled well in excess of 1,000,000 views when you combine the threads on HT and LS1tech. That's impressive. There was a substantial amount of flaming coming from both sides of the aisle, obviously. The import guys saying, "Man what a waste of a Civic" and the domestics crying, "What a waste of an LS drivetrain."

Coming from an engineering background, it's incredibly impressive what he did. He took a RWD platform and crammed it into a FWD car. The amount of fabrication was unreal, but in the end, he's got a car to be proud of that is undeniably his. Even if it was a "because I can" proposition, the end result is the same. When you get right down to it, isn't that what we're doing? Modification for the sake of individuality. Tell me you haven't had a fantasy about cramming a S2K drivetrain in our cars and making a RWD 7thgen.

For those of you not familiar with what we're talking about, here's the thread:

(Click the picture.)