General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

CAR race Camera - mounted action helmet cam advice anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brickfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
CAR race Camera - mounted action helmet cam advice anyone?

Following up to my original post (see orignal below) I am ready to give my conclusions on the two car / helmet camera models which I bought for testing recently:
The Adrenaline Systems Car Cam sport / pro for car or truck mounting and the oregon scientific atc2k helmet cam model.

1. The Adrenaline systems Car Cam comes as a complete kit with mounts and all needed items. The camera itself is a Sony HAD ExView CCD 580 TVL which delivers super
sharp images. The car camera kit also comes with a super sturdy microphone with plenty of cord length to safely place inside our outside the car. The kit comes with two mounts; one is a pivot mount which is good to attach on the inside of the car (dashboard) and their Car Cam sport mount which is a suction mount with an articulated arm. This is the mount you will most use as it attaches to just about any surface.
I mounted the camera both on the inside and outside of the car. Even at high speeds the camera held on tight and never became loose. The suction cup is easy to
apply and loosen so it's perfect for quick relocation. I also really liked the fact the car cam mount allows for fine camera angle adjustment.
Connections where fast and easy. I was able to connect everything to my camcorder in no time. The resulting footage was stunning. As these cameras have an image
stabilization chip, the results are great.
In addition the car cam kit I got their power pack pro which is a Li-ion battery. It is super light and even has a switch and indicator light. This was handy for
odd camera placements where the lighter adapter did not reach.
I also got their Adrenalines Systems Head Strap for mounting the camera on your head. I have never tried this before but I took their advice. I was able to take
great footage while driving and gave it a super dramatic feel to the video.

The Car Cam Sport you can see at:

The Battery pack is at:

http://adrenalinecamera.com/product_...roducts_id=280

The Head Strap is here:

http://adrenalinecamera.com/product_...roducts_id=254

2. The Oregon Scientific helmet cam model is a self contained unit. It comes with mounts but none of them you can use to mount to the car surface, only to your
head which allowed me to wear it inside the car. I hat to jerry rig it to the outside and inside using some creative use of velcro mounting.
THe unit records onto an SD card. I took this unit through the paces and downloaded the footage to my computer. The quality of the video was acceptable but nowhere
near the quality of the adrenaline camera. Another issue I hat with this camera is that it is bulkier and less easy to place in odd places.
This is a neat little camera for entry level recreational drivers but, for the money, for a few more dollars you can get something akin to what I see the pro's
are using. If you want to post on youtube or the like, this a fast way of doing it; but if you want to get good quality sound and footage go with the above.

This unit you can check out at:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...cid=77&pid=709

I would definetly go for the adrenaline systems camera selection. It is better adapted that the chase cam or vio sport which has a ridiculous price tag. My next purchase will be their varifocal camera which allows field of view manipulation. My buddy
got one and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps and thanks for all the advice and help!

================================================== ========
================================================== =======

I have purchased two different car mounted cameras. One of them is the adrenaline systems Car Cam Sport which I have heard a lot of good things about.
The other is the oregon scientific SD helmet camera. This unit comes with an SD slot.

The adrenaline systems camera is sony 580 tv line ccd which is weatherproof. The oregon scientific does not seem to specify what quality it provides. It also
seems to be waterproof. This camera is not specific for a car but it is pretty cheap in price.

I will be testing them out as soon as I get them. For now, can anyone provide any input on what I should be looking out for?
Are there any pointers I should keep in mind?

I intend to use the camera for some of our mountain road outings and racetrack racing video. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by brickfoot; 05-22-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Posting conclusions.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
Re: CAR race Camera - mounted action helmet cam advice anyone?

So ur gonna street race this weekend where at and what time so I can let the police know there is some idiot trying to street race. Fool take it to the track and keep off the streets. Fukking Noob's never ceases to amaze me how dumb these kids are these days!!
Old 04-30-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Valdeezy
So ur gonna street race this weekend where at and what time so I can let the police know there is some idiot trying to street race. Fool take it to the track and keep off the streets. Fukking Noob's never ceases to amaze me how dumb these kids are these days!!
Wow, not sure that was called for. Ignore him, welcome to the site. Sorry.

But I agree with what he said, stay off the streets. But you already know that. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with those cameras so I can't help you out anymore than you learned by reading spec sheets. I'm sure someone on here can. I just wanted to properly welcome you to the site, seeing as how it's your first post.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

yeah welcome to the site btw and i didn't know they sold those cameras w/ the mounts & everything. guess i thought it was just somethin rigged up when people attached them.
price?
and your profile doesnt have any info in it, what do you drive?
mod list?
sorry i don't have an answer to your question.

Last edited by TRIZ; 04-30-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: chill out yall
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all

I dont want to see people kill themselves

Last edited by TRIZ; 04-30-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: chill out plz
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ im sure you 'street raced' before lol
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

Triz ma bad yeah i went off the deep end on that noob!! but yeah I street raced and saw some kid hit a bridge and almost died because of it. I completely stopped and ONLY go to the track and that is it. So when I see crap like that guy posted it pisses me off to think he can just go and street race and post up vids of it. But I'm not gonna say my bad to some kid who sticks his nose into someone else's posts!!