General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Dealers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdjfsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can NOT believe what just happend today. Ok I set an appointment to get the gas release latch fixed on Wednesday for today(Fri) and my check engine light came, so I had them look at that too. So I take it in today and leave, thinkin when I get my car back everything would be fixed. But of course not, the dummy's don't carry the latch in stock so they have to order it. Now wouldn't it have made sense to order the part Weds if you knew I was comin in Fri to get it fixed. And back to the check engine light, I lost my gas cap about 4 months ago and I've been lazy ands haven't gotten a new one. SO they say thats what was makin the light go off. Now I have no idea how those 2 are tied together, but thats what they say. I of course decline the $8 gas cap when I can get it for $2 at an auto parts store. So on the receipt it says that if I get an aftermarket gas cap, the light will stay on.WTF????? Does anybody else have any "horror" stories about their experiences with a dealer?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
WTF?

Ok, they're wrong for not ordering the part. That's just damn lazy.

The gas cap thing sounds ridiculous but I can't verify it... I think they just want your money.
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually I have a great story. i also went today to get my every 3 month check done. I rolled up thinking I am going to get told something for all my mod's on the car. Next thing I knew the service manager and the service advisors are all outside standing next to my car after their meeting. I was like great, my warrenty is going to get voided. I went outside to see what was up and they started to congrat me and my car. I was like thanks. Made me much more comfortable finishing my mod's on the car.
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a good dealer story from when I was looking to buy my Civic.

I emailed the internet sales director at the local Honda dealer in June 2001 asking for a quote on a Civic HX CVT with AC installed. The salesperson wrote back saying that Honda did not make the HX yet that year. Strangely enough, this contradicted my 8 months of research on Civic HX's and it further contradicted the fact that I testdrove a 2001 Civic HX at a different dealership five months before. I wrote back thinking maybe he thought that I was inquiring about a 2k2 HX and he once again assured me that 2k1 HX's were not being produced yet (which of course was a complete lie). I figured the reason he lied was because that dealer didn't have any HX's on their lot and they wanted to sell me something that they did have. I emailed the general sales manager and told him the scoop and he never wrote back. Bastards!!
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

<< WTF?

Ok, they're wrong for not ordering the part. That's just damn lazy.

The gas cap thing sounds ridiculous but I can't verify it... I think they just want your money.
>>

Very true. Especially about wanting my money....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

mikalem is on a distinguished road
Yeah the gas cap thing is for real..... It has something to do with the fuel pump I'm pretty sure, the signal it sends to the computer goes screwy if it doesn't have the right pressure - and an aftermarket one might not seal up the way the stock ones are designed to. As for the part, that is lazyness - I had the bracket break on my rear seat (actually the bodyshop that was fixing the wreck I had about 2 months ago and they took it to the dealership and had them look at it, then order the part. No big deal, took them an hour to replace it so I guess your dealership just sucks. I'd call Honda and complain, maybe you'll get something out of the deal!
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

crazyjetskier is an unknown quantity at this point
yea dude the gas cap thing is for real, on my gas cap it says " If not turned after 3 clicks,check engine light may come on" so yea its true
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

Civic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, I think the gas cap thing is BS. I lost mine and have Nissan gas cap and I have no problems with the check engine light.
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

rac53041 is an unknown quantity at this point
the reason for the gas cap thing is for emissions. the EPA doesn't want fuel vapors being released into the atmsophere so all cars sold in the US have a sealed gas tank
the computer checks the evap system every once in a while under the right circumstances
it checks for leaks in the canister, which holds excess vapors, and in the lines it does this by increasing the pressure in the tank and if the presure drops below a set value within a specific amount of time it turns on the check engine light so if there is no gas cap or it is not tight the presure will drop
this test has to fail twice for the light to come on and the test is done only if the engine coolant temp and the air intake temp are below 95` and they have to be within 5` of each other and you have to be driving and the testwill start once the coolant temp rises to 180`
I have seen this done at work with the scanner hooked up to a car
they also showed me this at Honda's training center
sorry for the long post and if its too technical
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
Which dealer did you take it to? Brandon Honda tried to screw me out of $200 bucks saying that because the taillights were removed by a body shop, they couldn't fix the peeling paint on my bumper under warranty.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point

<< yea dude the gas cap thing is for real, on my gas cap it says " If not turned after 3 clicks,check engine light may come on" so yea its true >>

mine says that too but it doesnt click at all[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] i just tighten it as far as it will go and its fine
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL. the gas cap thing IS NOT B.S.

The reason the light came on is that the fuel tank operates under PRESSURE, thats why it hisses when you open the cap. The computer sensed that the pressure was below the standard it is told to accept... after a time of the this substandard pressure the computer turned on the engine light on to let you know something MIGHT be wrong.

*NOTE* ~ the CHECK ENGINE light is NOT for the ENGINE. When that light comes on it is to let you know something in the fuel/emissions system is wrong. Gas tank, injectors, fuel line, O2 sensor etc etc.

Anyhow... the dealer is wrong for saying the aftermarket cap will be unacceptable ~ and tell him that. As long as the cap you get will SEAL the fuel nozzle... it will work... BUT, the light will not just turn off. You will have to have them turn it off, unless you have the equipement to do it yourself. This is standard on most all vehicles. I have a Boxster that I lost the cap to in a hurry to leave the station ~ light came on and my boss has a Viper GTS... he didnt tighten the cap all the way till it clicked and his light came on!!! cost $65 diagnostic fee at the garage to be told "tighten your gas cap next time..."

Yes, the idiot should have had the part IN STOCK. He didnt order it on WED because he didnt know that the part would really need to be replaced, maybe just adjusted... he made a gamble, but lost on this one.

Moral of the story... gas cap thingy.. totally true.. but you DONT have to use a factory version.

http://www.tintdude.com
Old 03-03-2002
Registered!!

<< Which dealer did you take it to? Brandon Honda tried to screw me out of $200 bucks saying that because the taillights were removed by a body shop, they couldn't fix the peeling paint on my bumper under warranty.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] >>

I did indeed go to Brandon Honda. And I'll never go again.