General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

nub please for give but many a questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crooklyn is an unknown quantity at this point
nub please for give but many a questions

Ok so here's what i know about cars, engin usually in front of vehicle. lol

just getting into cars (tuners) never done any type of work on a car other than changing tires. so i really don't know anything.

right now i have my wifes Civic coupe LX 2001 MT.
i'm starting out w/ interior mods and then moving onto exterior mods, keeping it w/ clean look.

i love the look of the 2001 civic coupe LX 01.
but the thing is gut less!
What can i do to increase some hp, other than swap or turbo?
and what can i expect to get?

also what is a HID?

thanks for all your help!
Old 04-29-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Only way to get any decent gains on a D17 without turbo:
Complete engine build: P&P head, higher compression piston, crower cam, etc. VERY expensive for not too much hp, probably well under 200hp.
Nitrous, but spraying is very risky as nitrous oxide is a very volatile chemical. Its not exactly the safest way to get hp.
Otherwise thats about it. You won't get any significant gains from intake, headers, exhaust, etc.

Intake: 1-5hp gain.
Intake, Header, Exhaust: 1-10hp
Intake, Header, Exhaust, underdrive pullys: 5-15 hp
So yeah, its not worth the $1500 for that crap when it does basically nothing, unless you just want it for looks/sound.

So turbo and swap are the only ways to get any more hp worth having.

HID = High Intensity Discharge (bulbs). HID headlights are very bright and once on use very little power to keep running. They are great, but if you use them in the stock headlight housings you get a lot of glare and blind other drivers

Look around the different sub forums here and check stuff out. You will get lots of answers to questions you didn't even know to ask yet. People here are going to complain and tell you use the search, but at least I got in first to help you out before the mean people got here!

Last edited by diskreet; 04-29-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

Diskreet

first off, i love your DIY's
i have ordered all the LED kits and and hope fully next week will be doing that.
You have a very nice looking car and creative setups
my wife and i love the Custom trunk and are doint that after.

i'm not looking for crazy hp for for the civic just a bit more punch, cuz on highways its hard to get the momentum to pass.

would Headers, Exhuast and Intake make 50+hp? would that add enough kick to be noticible?

also what is:
Complete engine build: P&P head, higher compression piston, crower cam, etc.

would it be better to swap in then a B16 engine or H22
since they are way cheaper than K20?

(thanks for the help and not burning me!)
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
-Exhaust and intake wont get you 50 hp. I personally wouldn't know if you would feel a difference. Some people say you do and others say you don't.

-A complete engine build in more general terms would be something along the lines of port and polishing the cylinder head (making it flow better), bumping up the compression ratio of the engine with higher compression pistons (like Diskeet stated), Higher lift/duration camshafts (ie crower) amoung other thigns. FYI Usually very expensive depending on what kind of power you want.

-Search the forced induction/swap forum about what motor to use. I'll tell you right not tho in the end swaping in any b or h series motor will probably end up costing you as much as a k-series. There are some cheaper k-series swaps you could look into aswell (k20a3 or k24)

It all come down to how much you want to spend and how much power you want to make. Once you figure out excatly what you want it will make decision making a lot easier.
Old 04-29-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
haha only 7 posts and you already know me by my prvious posts.
thanks for the compliments too, i really appreciate it!!!11one

By complete engine built I am talking getting new cams, pistons (higher compression = more air & fuel burned = more hp if tuned right, having the head Ported and Polished (P&P), larger valves and new springs in the head.
You are looking at about the same cost as a turbo setup or swap, maybe a little cheaper, but with less gains.

Grabbing prices from dezod.com:

Crower Stage 2 NA (naturally aspirated aka no turbo) cam: $385
Crower Valve train upgrade: $330
Crower light connecting rods: $785
CP Performance Pistons: $725
Engine management: $400 - $1500
there are more parts too, and labor.
That would probably get you somewhere between 150 - 200 hp too.

You can't do a B swap (maybe H too). Its illegal to swap an engine in that wasn't produced at the same time or after your car was. So we have civics that ran 2001-2005. Any engine we put in the car must be 2001+ (K series engines are the easiest).

I won't burn you. If you want we can turn this into the crooklyn and diskreet Q&A thread lol
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

ok say i was looking for a max 200hp
what would you all recomend doing?
cheapest, best if such thing exists
Old 04-29-2006

Honestly I would do a K20a3 swap (from a civic Si)
Its 160 hp, and usually much cheaper than a K20a2 or K20a since they are the 200hp ones.
Also with an a3 you get much much more torque in lower rpms which will be a lot better in the mountains than the engine you have now.
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
I agree with diskreet and you would always have the option of boosting the a3 later.

fyi you could legally do a b-series swap from a 01 teg. Last year they were made. Still wouldn't advise it tho.
Old 04-29-2006

yeah, the compression ratio on the a3 is quite low so if you turbo you can easily hit 200 hp with not problems. for turbo you want lower compression ratio so the turbo compresses the air and the pistons don't compress it too much more before blowing it up.

a3 is a lot cheaper and still you will kill mostly stock civics like nothing.
Old 04-29-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by diskreet
You can't do a B swap (maybe H too). Its illegal to swap an engine in that wasn't produced at the same time or after your car was. So we have civics that ran 2001-2005. Any engine we put in the car must be 2001+ (K series engines are the easiest).

Good advice, but a little on the erroneous side - Since he has a 2001, You can do a legal B series and H series swap, from a 2001 Integra or a 2001 Prelude, respectively. It's a bad idea though, Might as well go K and get future support for your engine
Old 04-29-2006

I said I wasn't sure, so thanks for clearing that up. But the engines you can swap would probably cost as much as a K considering all the custom work you must do. With a K swap at least its been done many times and is generally not too hard to complete. The amount of custom work is minimal for a K swap. There are even pre made engine mounts you can get to do a K swap.
Doing a B or H swap would be tons of custom work.
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

thanks guys

so from what your all saying its better to do the K20a3 swap then turboing the D17, right?

if so then thats what i'll do
thanks again for the good info and advice
Old 04-29-2006

yeah, just read read read all you can in the swap sub forum!! there is a wealth of information there, so read up before you even start to buy anything!!!