General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What do the Billionaires Drive??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Smart people read fine print.
Lok at me, I dont drive a fancy Ferraty, my Acure gets me everywhere I need to go.

BTW, I'm a billioneer. Just ask me in what kind of currency.
Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Lok at me, I dont drive a fancy Ferrari, my Acure gets me everywhere I need to go.
Smart people read fine print.

BTW, I'm a billioneer. Just ask me in what kind of currency.

Last edited by 03-Acura-1.7-EL; 03-04-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2006
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
that was cool
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
dont know if anyone knows this...probably some do...but gates and paul allen had to go through some legal meneuvering to get their 959s exported into the states so they could also be driven. they had to design a computer crash simulation so that the us DOT would crash certify the car, because porsche wouldnt crash the 4 that the us gov't requires. haha

gates and allen
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by spoonJDMlX
cuz hes prollya j3w and a cheap assmonkey that lives in an apt.
i would watch what you say on the forums......particularly the racial slurrs and such.
Old 03-07-2006
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't know too much about the PORSCHE 959 until "pbfoot" caught my attention with the Bill Gates thing. I found it pretty interesting... And man what a rare car in the US.

US PORSCHE 959s

" The United States Department of Transportation and the US Enviormental Protection Agency refuse to legalize the Porsche 959. Reason being: Porsche AG will not provide up to 4 959s for crash testing. We all know the car is a street car, but without the mandatory testing, no 959 will ever be legalized.

Porsche built about 30 'US Spec' Sport 959s for US sale in 1987. The first 8 of them were shipped to Al Holbert's in Pennsylvania, where the EPA and DOT struck down hard and refused to let them in. 7 of the 8 were sent back to Germany with the other 22 to be held for the US owner to come drive in Europe. Most of the owners just put them up for sale in Germany.

The one 959 that remained in the US was legally imported. It belongs to Porsche aficionado Otis Chandler, who brought it in under a special US import clause that stated the 959 is for "Display Purposes Only" and cannot be driven on a track or on the street. It can only be displayed in Chandler's car museum in California.

Any other 959 seen in America is NOT legal (and there are quite a few).
Bill Gates, the CEO of Microsoft, has a 959, as does his partner Paul Allen. Supposedly those 959s are stuck in Customs somewhere in the US, although some people 'report' seeing him driving it around Seattle. Gates and Allen's are Comfort models which means they are not part of the 30 originally designated for the US market. Those 2, along with 2 more were brought in by Bruce Canepa, who claims (but has yet to) certify them.

There was one in Canton, Ohio and I believe that it is the one of the ones Canepa will certify. It was damaged on private property by the owners son. That's what I've heard. Canepa is attempting to certify 4 or 5 including the race track restricted car owned by Otis Chandler. Although the 959 was originally legally allowed into the US as a street car, many found their way in as "converted" race cars. They are constantly spotted all over the States at club races, shows, and even daily drivers. There was one advertised in Autoweek for ,000 not too long ago. I've also seen them occasionally for sale in Hemmings Motor News for ,000 and up. (The one was a Sport, but did have some miles on it)

I have seen 3 others for sale on the internet, 2 of which were out of Florida.

Did you know that Porsche built two more 959s in 1996? If you get to look at one, look under the front hood near the shock towers for a tag with the Braun or Bauer name (can't remember which). This company apparently "built" the bodies for Porsche. Porsche pressed the body pieces and this other company assembled them. You won't find this any books!!!

I spoke with THE person at customs who signs yay or nay on 959s. The three "legal" ones done through **** Fritz (a good man) were located and the owners fined ,000.00 (approx) and the cars are impounded and/or off the road. There are NO US legal 959s. This person would have seen the paperwork. Canepa is apparently still indicating that he may gain approval. Since Porsche AG has personally gone to court to keep the cars off of US roads, Canepa is dreaming at this point. The four cars he sold Gates are still impounded. "

texascivic2k1
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_959
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the point? The owner of tommy hilfiger who now owns the ferrari dealership in my neighbourhood has 45 million dollars worth of cars and he's worth 1.5 billion. Just cuz you have money doesn't mean you have taste.
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by XxJDMCivicxX
What's the point? The owner of tommy hilfiger who now owns the ferrari dealership in my neighbourhood has 45 million dollars worth of cars and he's worth 1.5 billion. Just cuz you have money doesn't mean you have taste.
the point is that some people find better uses for their money than driving fancy cars. the probably just dont care. for some of them their car just gets them to the office and back...or whatever.

like seriously, why would warren buffett drive anything but a lincoln town car? he doesnt need to show off to anyone.
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Cars aren't all about showing off, it's wether their a car fan or not in the end. The last thing you care about is showing off when your a billionaire. Your money is already making itself. And that Prince has way more cars than that. He has a fleet of fully modded S8, 745is
Old 03-07-2006
7thgencivic's Official Bad Samaritan
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond repute
Realize too that not everyone is as into cars as the people on these forums and other car forums. Like someone else said, I'm sure their homes are furnished to hell and back with the most expesive stuff money can buy. Cars aren't a huge appeal to everyone.
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

RangerMan is a jewel in the roughRangerMan is a jewel in the roughRangerMan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HITMAN
Realize too that not everyone is as into cars as the people on these forums and other car forums. Like someone else said, I'm sure their homes are furnished to hell and back with the most expesive stuff money can buy. Cars aren't a huge appeal to everyone.
Exactly if ur not a car person ur something else.

I just think people who are not car ppl, guys mainly..are gay (not that there is anything wrong with being gay - seinfeld.)