General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Tips on driving manual trans FAQ-inlcudes basic How to, double clutching etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by turboengnr
no....

air can be compressed. Liquids cannot.

if there is air in your brake lines, when you press on the pedal, the air will compress instead of applying pressure on the brake pads. This will cause you to run into **** since you cant stop.

I'm being picky, but liquids CAN compress. They just require more pressure to do so. However, your argument of air bubbles runing the braking system is perfectly valid...
Old 02-04-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
Originally Posted by thegent
I'm being picky, but liquids CAN compress. They just require more pressure to do so. However, your argument of air bubbles runing the braking system is perfectly valid...
liquids can compress eh?
Old 02-04-2006
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
liquids can compress eh?
my old engine says no they can't
Old 02-04-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Actually liquids DO compress. As thegent was saying they require more pressure..found this article, this is why and how..
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae15.cfm
Old 02-04-2006
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
there is a difference between compression, density, and pressure.

i would love to see someone take 1 liter of water and physically compress it into a 20oz container.

The compression factor of liquids is sooo insignificant that it is safe to assume that for general use, there is no compression.

and dont say it is stupid to assume. Assumptions formed the base of all sciences, mathematics, and logic.
Old 02-04-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Assumptions formed the base of all sciences, mathematics, and logic.
As well as the mother of all fok ups

but I partly agree..advances in science have been made partly made thru asumptions, trial & errors..
Old 02-05-2006
DONT PANIC

Originally Posted by cubanmike26
As well as the mother of all fok ups
only reason i put that was because i saw your quote.
Old 02-05-2006

He he, I figured you did..
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

resperidal is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to add what matt said in response to jack. Rev matching or double declutching is not neccessary. It only wears out your engine. and really which one do ou wanna wear faster your clutch or your engine? clutches should not last a life time, they can but they are meant to wear. Engines should however last. Their compression should stay level, or else you will lose power and gas mileage. rev matching and double clutching rev matching only robs your engine of its compression resulting in loss of power or gas mileage. Tthe end result? New engine cause your pistons will no longer fit snug against the cylnders. My clutches lastt eight years or so. I never rev match(rev the gas in neutral). And i drive quite fastt, I downshift hard. rev matching is really only for pros who race on a track and can afford new engines after blowing them up.
Old 10-28-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
awseome write up
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Honda engine's are meant to be revved. You do not have to worry about the engine wearing out, the transmission will almost surely need replacing before the engine.

In fact not revving your engine periodically is pretty bad, because of carbon build up.

BUT your statment is also flawed in that when you rev match while just cruising around, it really does not put any extra strain on the engine. Even if you are going fast and you rev match, you are still in that rpm range, so I am not sure what you are getting at. Are you trying to say that the sudden increase in RPM's is bad for your engine?
Its a honda LOL

You can drive like a race car driver and rev match, or you can drive like my dad and still rev match. Just because you rev match does not mean you have to drive like a moron, bouncing off the limiter in traffic.

I mean who blows their honda civic engine? People who boost with out proper tunning, and maybe people who don't know how to change the coolant correctly, maybe forget to put it in.

Oh yeah look into what you are saying, cause what do you exactly mean by robbing your engine of compression. Where did you hear that? Were they talking about cars from the 50s?
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
yea since when does reving your engine hurt it? I've never heard that. Bouncing off the rev limiter isn't great but its not the death of your engine. I rev match everytime I shift and my car is doing perfectly fine.
Also using the clutch to rev up the engine actually bad for the clutch and the engine because of the extra strain the clutch puts on the engine.

I drive my car like a normal person, rev matching and not power shifting and my car loves it.
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

resperidal is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, before there is a whole arguement about this I am going to stop and leave this be.