General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Help to get around the SUVs in the fast lane.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Help to get around the SUVs in the fast lane.

Why is it that every day when driving home from work I get stuck behind a convoy of SUVs that "own" the fast lane? Sure I tend to drive a little faster than I should, but get out of the way or at least back up the middle lane or right lane!

Well, after much angst, I have been testing something that may help you too. When I inherited the car from my wife there was a mirror in the car that she used to check on our son while riding backwards in the back seat. It is a little mirror with a suction cup that sticks to the window. I'm sure you can see where I am going...

So for instance, I'm riding along and get over into the fast lane behind an SUV going 2 mph over the speed limit and loses 7 mph going over the overpasses.

(Yeah, the pictures were taken sitting still in a parking garage, but you get the idea.)

Now what do you do? Basically three options:
1. Wait patiently for the SUV to realize that they are disrupting the flow of traffic and wait even longer until they change lanes.
2. Try to pass on the right only to find that there is yet another SUV driving the same speed beside the one you are behind.
3. Wait a little less patiently and closer to the SUV...

Well, I have positioned the mirror at the interior top corner of the passenger side windshield. This gives me a little extra right side vision around the SUV to help determine if there is room to pass on the right (plus one last check of the blind spot).

It is not a perfect system, but it does help. Since the mirror is convex it distorts the view a little, but with a bit of practice, I don't know how I drove without it.

So basically, the mirror is a mirror on a stick with a suction cup that can be bought at any Babies 'R Us for about $5 (Honda Service Manual not included).

I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.
Old 01-03-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
huh?
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Does that guy know that HONDA is spelled backwards on his tire cover??????

Thats actually a great idea. I usually ask my GF if its clear to pass or not but this would help out a great deal....

I wonder what a cop would do if he saw this? Give you a ticket for restricting you vision like a radar detector or a medal for improving your awareness on the road
Old 01-03-2006
EK Hatch

Ser1N is an unknown quantity at this point
That really isnt such a bad idea haha =)
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, the wife usually will spot for me, but she's usually not in my car. And the mirror is easier to afford than any GF I ever had...
Old 01-03-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Kyle23
Does that guy know that HONDA is spelled backwards on his tire cover??????

It's not..it seems that way cause you are looking at it through a mirror..same reason why the word ambulance is spelled backwards..
Old 01-03-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Personally I prefer a small cruise missle for taking out SUV's, but that's just me...

I admit, that's an interesting idea.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
It's not..it seems that way cause you are looking at it through a mirror..same reason why the word ambulance is spelled backwards..

no **** sherlock.......... that was implied sarcasm. I thought everyone would understand that
Old 01-03-2006
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
That works, I normally check in the far end of the left lane, than I floor the gas to get around slower SUV's in the left lane...

That is a cheap way of doing things. I'd like a camera system or something high-tech to see around SUV's so you don't have to slow down for them.
Old 01-03-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
haha at first i thought you were gonna use the mirror to shine sunlight at the suv driver
Old 01-03-2006
2001 Rallye Red EX

digitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gearbox
haha at first i thought you were gonna use the mirror to shine sunlight at the suv driver
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Cool idea. Don't know if I'll do it... but cool idea.
Old 01-03-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
i usually tap the horn or flash highs and they move if not, I floor it around them and set cruise to 3 miles below the speed limit.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

RussEXT is an unknown quantity at this point
very good ideal.
Old 01-03-2006
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
i tailgate muhaha
Old 01-03-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
If anybody is doing the speed limit (aka slower than the speed of traffic) in the left lane (aka the PASSING LANE) I'll come up behind them and wait for them to move. If they don't, I'll flash my lights a time or two. At that point, I'll pass them on the right if possible, left if possible (some places in Missouri have like 9 foot shoulders...) or I'll just make sure they know I'm behind them.

It's not my fault they suck at driving. If I'm doing the speed limit, I get way the hell over to the right.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by white2K2EX
If anybody is doing the speed limit (aka slower than the speed of traffic) in the left lane (aka the PASSING LANE) I'll come up behind them and wait for them to move. If they don't, I'll flash my lights a time or two. At that point, I'll pass them on the right if possible, left if possible (some places in Missouri have like 9 foot shoulders...) or I'll just make sure they know I'm behind them.

It's not my fault they suck at driving. If I'm doing the speed limit, I get way the hell over to the right.
Yeah...big shoulders but the ones I see are full of glass and other trash.

I drove from Linburg. to N. Kings Hwy on 70 all summer and I just used the 2 rights lanes cause there were so many "gangstas" (leaning into the middle of the car!) in there car doin 55 in the fast lane. I loved my civic during that afternoon traffic.
Old 01-05-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest
I'd like a camera system or something high-tech to see around SUV's so you don't have to slow down for them.
Yeah, I've thought about this too - like how some cars have the reverse camera to see behind you. If the camera could be mounted into the passenger mirror with a display, hmmm.