General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Side-impact safety: 2 doors vs 4 doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Question Side-impact safety: 2 doors vs 4 doors

I have always had this question burning in the back of my mind, what would be structurally safer in a side-impact crash, in the same model of car? A 2 door, or a 4 door?
When I say this, I'm not talking about completely different cars, simply cars that are offered in both 2 door and 4 door versions, like the Honda Civic, for example.
Now, to me, it would seem that a 4 door would be slightly stronger than a 2 door, because of the vertical pillar on guarding the driver, whereas on a 2 door, that pillar is further back, most of the time behind where the driver sits, not protecting the driver.

Would this be a fair assumption, or are there other variables to take into place. For comparison purposes, let's stick to, like I said, models that are offered in both 2 door and 4 door versions, like the Honda Civic, so we are not comparing completely different cars.

Just for a reference, this is the pillar I am referring to: (picture taken from IIHS.org)

On a 2 door model, the pillar would be further back, behind the driver, offering less interior intrusion protection (theoretically, anyway).
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold
I would probably aggree that a sedan is slighty safer.
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

wheamahm0n3yat is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^^ agree
Old 12-21-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Majarvis
On a 2 door model, the pillar would be further back, behind the driver, offering less interior intrusion protection (theoretically, anyway).
I think he's saying the contrary thing to what you two agree on...
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
I suppose then that the coupe would be superior if you had kids (ideally), who you would seat in the back seat exclusively, or any passengers then, if the pillar is farther back. Guess that kind of makes up for them not having airbags.
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Majarvis]
Now, to me, it would seem that a 4 door would be slightly stronger [QUOTE=Majarvis]

didn't I say I aggreed to that?
Old 12-21-2005
Once boosted now i-VTEC

C Orndorff is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

The 2 door with no side air bags only got 3 stars for a side impact
The 4 door with and without side air bags got 4 stars for side impact
The 2 door with side impact air bags got 5 stars for side impact.
Old 12-21-2005
Once boosted now i-VTEC

C Orndorff is an unknown quantity at this point
Also the Si obtained 4 stars for side impact, and all civics’ 01-05 have 5 star front impact.
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by caorndorff
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

The 2 door with no side air bags only got 3 stars for a side impact
The 4 door with and without side air bags got 4 stars for side impact
The 2 door with side impact air bags got 5 stars for side impact.
Proven fact like this, 4 doors are safer.
Old 12-22-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Yeah the four doors for sure..

Ill test out the theory tonight and take pics after thats once i awake in the recovery room
Old 12-22-2005
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Old 12-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by caorndorff
and all civics’ 01-05 have 5 star front impact.
Yeah, I'll post pick of the front of my car when a friend rear ended the hell out of a van.
Old 12-22-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
That B-pillar also obscures vision though... I mean, there are billions of times when I look right into it thinking I'm still outside with a 360* view of everything. I have to lean forward and see what is on my left...
Old 12-22-2005
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
I was reading a few things in a Consumer Reports article (don't have the issue number, it was while in a dentist office) and it said that 2 doors hold up better in side impact crashes vs their 4 door counterparts. The reason being is that for a 2 door, less of a hole is "cut out" of the unibody frame for the space needed for doors, making the side stronger than a 4 door, which has more space cut out for the doors.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Behind the door on a 2 door, there is just the unibody frame, offering more protection against cabin penetration, which is much stronger than the B pillar of a 4 door. Not only that, but the fact that the door is longer, and is reinforced (which helps again against penetration), reduces the likelihood of your head bouncing off of the pillar, and with side curtain airbags, your head is much more protected anyway (either 2 door or 4 door Civic).
Old 12-22-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
glad to have an em2 with side air bags
Old 12-22-2005
Registered!!

civicex9980 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was reading a few things in a Consumer Reports article (don't have the issue number, it was while in a dentist office) and it said that 2 doors hold up better in side impact crashes vs their 4 door counterparts. The reason being is that for a 2 door, less of a hole is "cut out" of the unibody frame for the space needed for doors, making the side stronger than a 4 door, which has more space cut out for the doors.
Yea, I was thinking that the 2 door would hold up better also for that same reason.