General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Are Miata's pansy cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Miatas are only pansies if you get an auto.
finding a miata in automatic is a challenge in and of itself
Old 11-10-2005
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want a mazda, just get an old RX-7 with a blown rotary (not TOO hard to find) and drop an LS1 in it from a 98 camaro w/ a 6 speed. you will have my dream car for under the price of a decent 99+ miata. They have the same weight distribution as a stock RX-7, will handle as well as a miata and will blow the doors off of a stock F-body (Z-28 or transam)
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to behold
They're fun little cars... if you aren't afraid of getting decapitated by an 18 wheeler
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i have have one and its head and shoulders more fun to drive than almost any other car ive driven....and my dad owns a bimmer. so yeah.

if you want one, test drive it...but im pretty positive that if you fit in the car you will get it after the drive. you fall in love w/ it instantly.

i drove the new one last weekend at a mazda event, and that thing is incredible!!! if you can afford the 2006 (nc), get it. it is MUCH more refined and "civilized" than the previous versions, but it doesnt lose that fun feeling and handles like on rails.

as far as being a "pansy" car....anyone that says that knows nothing about the car, or cars in general. since it was born, the miata has grown to be the best selling roadster ever....its in the guiness book of records. and i highly doubt there are THAT many pansies in the world. lol

and to the dude that said its an unsafe car from that is just plain ignorant. first of all, its a forum...its not a credible source of credible news. you dont know all the facts. you dont know how the car was being driven, how either car was being driven, and what the facts are. people can die in ANY car...

the miata is a small car, and a convertible...obviously it isnt going to withstand a crash like a crown vic will. there have been many other instances of accidents where the miata was involved and the driver walked away unharmed....you cant say a car is unsafe from one unfortunate event.
Old 11-10-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i will again say get an RX and get a swap or turbo. RWD is better advantage. and its hard as ***** to blow a rotary motor. ive never heard of it happen. but if your really set on a miata, get some roll bars on it just in case.
Old 11-17-2005

starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by starstryke
Here's a selling point if you're a techno geek who wants a technologically advanced car but wouldn't know it.

Earlier Miata's used triangular pistons, not round. Now, this increases compression handling and makes the car more reliable/gas efficient. You'll find the same technology in the RX-8 but as of late it has been suppressed by gas giants due to its efficiency and reliability. You can turbocharge them easily as a result of this design with little to no problems.

No other car aside from the RX-8 has this technology (that I'm aware of) and it's definitely a well built car esp after dealers were finding them with over 300k miles and still running like new.

Anyway, I'm clearly no mech but I've read this out of a Popular Science article which talked about 90mpg cars and such, btw, the early miata has been known to get 50+ mpg... makes me want one.

Wish I wasn't one something when I posted this... haha.
Any rate, triangle pistons barred by Ford Motor Company (Ford owns 33% of Mazda) because of their damn gas guzzling unreliable vehicles at the time. I basically summed it up in this last sentence.
Old 11-17-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MajinB
i will again say get an RX and get a swap or turbo. RWD is better advantage. and its hard as ***** to blow a rotary motor. ive never heard of it happen. but if your really set on a miata, get some roll bars on it just in case.
one of my friends blew his 2nd gens engine and tranny trying to catch a civic...

Old 11-18-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
I am no Pansy, and I want a Miata.
Old 11-18-2005
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by joelwastaken
one of my friends blew his 2nd gens engine and tranny trying to catch a civic...

killing rotaries is easy. it sounds like a contradiction, but they are very durable motors that are easy to destroy. Detonation is ESPECIALLY bad for rotaries. It kills the apex seals. Also, running hot is bad, and if you shut the car off cold you have to wait a while B4 you can crank it or you can seize the engine. on the flipside, they can run at 9000 RPMs all day long and they are fine (people use them as airplane engines b/c they are more efficient at high RPMs whereas piston engines are more efficient at low RPMs.) If I had any gen RX-7 it would be getting a V8 pronto, and I'd sell the stocker to the rotaty ***** (no offense nookiemonster).