General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

the confusion with CAI and SRI

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iamboo is on a distinguished road
the confusion with CAI and SRI

people can say without a shadow of a doubt that cai is 10 times better than sri... now why is that... is it because the cold air is denser therefore the air mixes with the fuel better?? is it because it's more expensive that it has to be better than sri ??? wells... believe whatever you want but heres the deal... THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME !!!! you're not going to gain anything more than 1-3 hp with it on the dyno.... my buddy with a gsr needed proof of this... so he dyno'd his car using the sri first then dyno'd again with the cai.... the cai actually LOST power with respect to the sri.. DON'T BE FOOLED!!! longer pipe that has potential to suck in water is almost twice as expensive and is NOT worth it at ALL!! btw... have you ever drove around town and lifted the hood of your civics ?? civics run very cool.... the other misconception is the cai is always sucking in cold air and the sri is always sucking in hot air... as soon as your car starts moving the front grille and air dams bring in fresh air giving the same temperature air to be sucked in as the outside... bottom line... ONE DOESN'T OFFER MORE THAN THE OTHER... sorry about the caps.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
You're gonna tell us that the SRI is better after only being dynoed on a car who's engine is totally different than ours?
Old 02-06-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

does it really matter what engine it was dyno'd on ???
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
your generalizing. dont do that. ANY intake isnt going to net you more then 5 Hp. If you want to go over dyno figures i can show you the exact opposite of what you said as well. A dyno test is done is a stationary position indoors. there is no difference usually on the dyno between SRIs ansd CAIs because there is A)no moving air and B) the dyno run is always done with the hood up. now what do you think will make more power on a stationary car indoors, the SRI which inducts the air from the top of the engine bay WITH THE HOOD OPEN ALLOWING COLD FRESH AIR TO BE INJESTED or the CAI which is covered by the bumper and that isnt getting air flow because the car is STATIONARY? thought so.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Hell yeah, cuz every car is different and these new Civic engines just ain't reacting to these performance parts. The only performance part that does get it's props is the CAI and more than enough people on this forum agree with that over the SRI.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

NBlarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, you can't talk about what one engine does and expect it to be exactly the same on a totally different engine. And as Joeb16 said, the intake numbers will be skewed by how a dyno is used. While driving, the air is indeed hotter in the engine bay then out by the bumper, no matter how much air you think is rushing under the hood. Now the numbers might not matter that much now, but as the engine becomes more powerful with more mods such as FI, a difference can definitely be seen (a generalization, sorry joeb16 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG], but one that is followed pretty closely). Overall the CAI offers more than the SRI.

Edit: Mods other than FI, cuz then you would have to scrap the intake all together, man I need some sleep, losing my edge.
Old 02-06-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

then prove me wrong... show me that the cai works better with our civic engines than the sri....

dyno and time slip pics are welcome...
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just explained how your wrong you obtuse dolt!
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

SugarRay is an unknown quantity at this point

<< i just explained how your wrong you obtuse dolt! >>

Obtuse Dolt?!?!?

LOL

Anyway, back on topic. I am about to purchase a Intake for my Automatic EX and I to choose from,

- Injen Cold Air Intake
- AEM Short Ram Intake

Both are around $200-235 which include installation.

USually when I drive, I'm in the 3-4 RPMs, rarely do I ever go over 4,

so which one is best for me?

Ray
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Cold Air.
Old 02-06-2002
Sekz God

NoToRiOuSxPiNoY is an unknown quantity at this point
I suggest Injen CAI... I have it and boy do i love it. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Our cars are in need of low end power too and CAI is the best bet for that. And No need to worry about by pass or hydrolock because your car has to be submerged at least 4 feet of water to even suck up water thru the intake. And by then.. your whole car will be in trouble.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

NBlarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, it would be a lot less than 4 feet. The filter of the injen cai sits about 1-1.5 feet off the ground. Minor puddles and splashes shouldn't be a concern since the filter is pretty much surrounded by metal and plastic, just don't go driving through marshes or swamps or giant puddles.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

deception420 is an unknown quantity at this point
aight your all confused.... cold air is better for long runs... like autocross sporting events... short ram is better for drag racing.. why? cause for drag you want responce... if the pipe is short the air gets to the engine faster. the CAI is better for long runs. and your right about our engine bays running cool.... also take this into consideration... metal pipes heat up... if your intake pipe is hot... its heating the air.... WHATS THE USE!??!! your better off goin wiht an iceman cause its plastic isn't really CAI nor SRI. now that sucker runs cold. and BTW ITS NOT OUT YET. so thos stupid *** group buys are fake. my other friend is working with iceman on there intake and it isn't out yet. infact, its sitting next to me cause i wanted to try it out... i just haven't hookedit up yet. wait... im gonn go do that now.. late
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Dude, just get the CAI. If you don't like it, and you hear there's better - go for it. In the end, it's all a personal decision on how you're gonna use your car.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

deception420 is an unknown quantity at this point
oh i have a comment about rain... my friend has the AEM CAI... we were diving out is some "bad" rain... well bad for LA... god bad rain here is BS... BUT... he had no probs with suckin up water and he was goin through some puddles... i remember someone sayin they had hydro lock up cause they drove through a 6 inch puddle... so i dunno what to beleive...
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

Sigh... anyone wanna speak on a bypass valve?
Old 02-06-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

<< metal pipes heat up... if your intake pipe is hot... its heating the air.... WHATS THE USE!??!! >>

cai pipes would heat up just as much as sri... remember that both run through the same path to get to the throttle body...
Old 02-06-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
get an injen cai then you can disconnnect the cold air pipe and turn it into an sri on demand
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
you can turn an AEM CAI into an SRI just as easily. so that's not an issue. i would say go for the AEM SRI, it will run better for your auto. there's a reason that AEM doesn't make a CAI for autos, it's cause they don't do anything more for you than the SRI. and the SRI is cheaper. you do the math.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll clear this up for all you right now. I bought an AEM CAI and an Injen SRI. I installed the CAI first, drove around for a few days, then installed the Injen SRI. The difference was EXACTLY the same, except the SRI sounded better. Sidenote: I sold the AEM CAI and kept the Injen SRI.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
And because i spoke w/ dark on this is why I ended up w/ my Injen SRI.......
thanks Dark
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]