General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scotchtape is an unknown quantity at this point
What to look for

I apologize if this reeks of an old post, but I did not find anything in my search.

Next year, I'm fairly certain I'll have to trade in my '07 Taurus. Being 46, I have no interest in changing anything about the appearance, engine, etc. when I go to the Honda dealer to look at both Accords and Civics.

Due to credit mess ups I'll have to get an older Civic (preferably '11 or '12); Though I will have someone go with me, what should I check twice on the
car(s)?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What to look for

Get your own financing (credit union, bank) figured out and lined up before you set foot on a car lot. That way you will know ahead of time how much money you have to work with.

Once you find something you think you want, stop.

Get a prepurchase inspection done by an independent mechanic that you trust, hopefully someone very observant and familiar with the car you want.

That way you will have a good idea of what the car needs, and you may have some bargaining power if it needs expensive stuff like brakes or tires, etc..

Or if it is a complete disaster/deathtrap and you find that out before you sign on the dotted line, the $100 inspection fee might be the best money you ever spent.
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

I'd have to see about pre-financing if I can even do so.

There are 2 places I know I can get the car looked at; one I could also get it rustproofed at.

Of course, a lot could happen in a year.
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

I've looked over what $ per month I can do to pay off the Taurus (yes I still owe on him), and what I can put aside for a down payment. The ford poc needs mechanical issues looked at, and rust holes that even aftermarket panels cost more than one or 2 payments for it are.

So it will be summer of 2017 or (I hope not) 2018 before I can trade it in unless it gives out.

I'll keep updates coming.