General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Let's get something straight about turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross is an unknown quantity at this point
Let's get something straight about turbos

I'm sorta upset with everyone and I mean everyone relying on HKS or Greddy to produce a BOLT ON Turbo. I just read another post that said there are no turbos out for the 2k1civic yet. That's so incorrect. There are no bolt on turbos out yet. I have a T24 Garret Turbo and custom intake manifold/headers whichever you prefer to call it. Only reason I don't have it on my car is because I need $5grand in parts for it to work without my engine dieing. For example, Fuel Rail, Air/Fuel Ratio monitor like Apexi Vtech AFC, Blow off valve and like 20 things for my engine like Port and polish, titanium piston and valve springs...

So if any of ya'll feel that when you buy this HKS turbo when it arrives on newstands or speedshops, please consider that your going to have to buy around the same amount I will have to buy to get it to work great on your car. I mean yea you could just say YEA I got a TURBO and bolt the HKS one in when it comes out for your ride, but then again, it's going to throw hot a$$ air into the throttle body and after a day your car will just muttle and Die, thats right die...kaput...

I didn't know alot about turbos but I looked into Turbine Engines and I feel a little more educated. Anyways I went out and bought a used turbo for $200. I went and got it rebuilt with high performance parts for another $500. So hopefully I'll have it on my ride before the HKS turbo comes out to prove my point that any turbo will work if you do some custom work to your car first.

And the headers/intake manifold whichever you prefer to call, I had it custom made for $450. Another $5000 to go and I'll have my turbo working under $6500. And blueprinting it and stuff I plan to add to my ride suggest that from that and intercooler and other stuff added I will have about 90 extra horses to the wheel. Pretty unimaginable now, but we'll see when I pop it on the dyno.

So if you are really looking for a turbo now and want one now that fits look for the T24 Garret, cause we all know Garret makes all the turbos around for Greddy and so forth. It will fit but you need a few minor adjustments to your vehicle first.

Randy
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
i built a turbo for my old CRX out of a wrecked buck GN and custom tubing for under 2000. WITH intercooler.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

And with the HKS or Greddy you have to buy a wastegate, and mine comes with it!

Randy
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy

<< I'm sorta upset with everyone and I mean everyone relying on HKS or Greddy to produce a BOLT ON Turbo. I just read another post that said there are no turbos out for the 2k1civic yet. That's so incorrect. There are no bolt on turbos out yet. I have a T24 Garret Turbo and custom intake manifold/headers whichever you prefer to call it. Only reason I don't have it on my car is because I need $5grand in parts for it to work without my engine dieing. For example, Fuel Rail, Air/Fuel Ratio monitor like Apexi Vtech AFC, Blow off valve and like 20 things for my engine like Port and polish, titanium piston and valve springs... >>

actually none of that is needed for a low pressure turbo set up except for an upgraded fuel pump.

<< So if any of ya'll feel that when you buy this HKS turbo when it arrives on newstands or speedshops, please consider that your going to have to buy around the same amount I will have to buy to get it to work great on your car. I mean yea you could just say YEA I got a TURBO and bolt the HKS one in when it comes out for your ride, but then again, it's going to throw hot a$$ air into the throttle body and after a day your car will just muttle and Die, thats right die...kaput... >>

what the hell are you talking about? That makes no sense.

<< I didn't know alot about turbos but I looked into Turbine Engines and I feel a little more educated. Anyways I went out and bought a used turbo for $200. I went and got it rebuilt with high performance parts for another $500. So hopefully I'll have it on my ride before the HKS turbo comes out to prove my point that any turbo will work if you do some custom work to your car first. >>

no shit. all a "turbo kit" is, is a custom job that been reproduced and manufactured in mass as to sell it to the public as a "kit".

<< And the headers/intake manifold whichever you prefer to call, I had it custom made for $450. Another $5000 to go and I'll have my turbo working under $6500. And blueprinting it and stuff I plan to add to my ride suggest that from that and intercooler and other stuff added I will have about 90 extra horses to the wheel. Pretty unimaginable now, but we'll see when I pop it on the dyno. >>

A) an inline 4 has ONE header. V6s, V8s and what not have TWO banks therefore they require headerS.

B) A "header" is the exhaust manifold NOT an intake manifold. As for 90WHP, im assuming you plan on running built internals, because theres no way your engine is going to take the ammount of boost required to produce those numbers in anywhere near stock form.

C) do you even know what "blueprinting" and engine entails? And no, it doesnt involve getting mythical power figures.

<< So if you are really looking for a turbo now and want one now that fits look for the T24 Garret, cause we all know Garret makes all the turbos around for Greddy and so forth. It will fit but you need a few minor adjustments to your vehicle first. >>

A T24 isnt capable of flowing enough boost properly to produce a 90 WHP gain. That being said a 20G turbo or a T3/T4 hybris would fit that bill nicely. BTW, the Greddy kits use 18G turbos and HKS uses a 16G.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Hey I just went to a few speedshops and got the info. Got a big shopping list of parts needed. As for what the hell did I mean by we all need parts is:

Do you really think you can buy NOS and use a 100shot on a stock civic? No you need performance parts. You have to have performance parts with any turbo.

Randy

As for the 90WHP thats what 2 speedshops told me after I add another 5grand into it, which I have no clue whether I will or won't...
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow JoeB16 you remind of BlackDeuceCoupe from SHO[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahaha nice nice
i like seeing hard core people at this
hopefully u will also prove me more wrong by getting it done soon.
im not saying i dont believe or negatively but even though ive like a turbo. im moving more toward the side of getting the evo lancer with its own turbo or getting the swap done!
u can only squeeze so much out of a SOHC u know what i mean.
but carry on. i wanna see soomme BOOOOST!!!!
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

NOS is a brand name. its N20 or nitrous if your using it as a general term. Anyway, yes you can run 100 shot on a stock B16A2 (dunno anythng about your engine) with proper tuning. My friend and clubsi moderator was also running a T60 turbo at 18PSi on his stock internaled B16A2 making almost 400WHP (daily driven mind you) with just a block guard and a lot of fine tuning on the dyno with his standalone ECU and a dyno. Thats not to say ANYONE should try doing that unless they relly know their stuff like he does, but it is possable.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

I use NOS as a general lamens term. You say got N2O or nitrous to some peeps they are like what? huh?

You say NOS they remember that motion video picture "Fast and the Furious"

Randy

And thanks for the N20 Post! You must be an installer for Zex, NX, or Venom...
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you plan on running 20 psi or something? Oh yeah, and about your 'Garrett T24' Turbocharger... Uhh, garrett never made a T24 to my knowledge. T25 and T28 maybe, but never have I seen a T24...

Feasibly if you WANTED to turbo your car right now, you could run 5psi of boost safely without performing all of that stuff. Most people take a while to adjust to boosted cars, so this is your opportunity to get accustomed to forced induction. Most cars and fuel systems that are used in them are rated above capacity for a reason. That reason is that idiots like us try to do crazy things like turbocharge our cars, also bigger is better. Honda knows that if they overdo their cars a bit, reliability will feasibly raise.

Oh, and another thing. If you want to get that 90 horsepower, you are going to need 17psi, with an air to air intercooler with an efficiency of 70% at an ambient air temperature of 72 degrees, and that is at 6500RPMS. All i have to say is, good luck pal.

To get 200+ horsepower, we will have to do most or all of these: Balanced and bluebrinted, bore and stroke the engine, high heat capacity forged aluminum rods, wrist pins, and pistons, titanium twin-valve springs, valves, and retainers, port and polish, larger throttle body, fully custom 3" exhaust, Apex'I V-AFC for tunability, boost controller, turbo timer, dual sequential blowoff valve, the list goes ON AND ON AND ON.

Oh, and I did a little more math while I was at it. Since I'm not sure a T24 exists, the closest possible is a Garrett T25 turbo, but if you plan on getting 90 wheel horsepower at 17PSI, a T25 won't hold. You'll have to get a T3, T3/T4, or T3/T04 Hybrid turbo.

Just my two pennies.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX your really close, but no cigar. I forgot to mention that the T24 was only produced in Japan. It has an internal wastegate and is watercooled and oil lubed... So I have to also drag lines to cool it and to lube it. Check Garrets turbos for Japan, that weren't produced in the US.

Randy
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

you can generalize turbo sizes, PSI levels and HP gains. different turbos have different impellar trim. that is to say, one turbo may make 50Hp at 8PSi while another can make 30 at the same pressure.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

JoeB16: I walked away from this post for an hour cause I had to go take a shower, when I came back and finished it I saw your post. Guess I just reiterated what you were saying... I like the way you think. Glad to see someone knows a little about forced induction here.

As for the NOS versus n2o thing, I'm with Joe here... Xerox once posted an ad in many major magazines and newspapers some years ago that went like this... "When you use "xerox" the way you use "aspirin," we get a headache." Why? Because Bayer AG, who makes Bayer aspirin actually trademarked the word 'Aspirin' but as soon as everyone used it as a 'Generalized Term' as you do, the word lost its trademark value.

So when you run around using words like "Aspirin," "Xerox," "NOS," and "Walkman", you are using generalizations for multiple products that are actually trademarked words. I don't really care one way or the other, but nonetheless, some people are very picky about everyone using such 'generalizations'.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Ok, that makes more sense now, but nonetheless... A JDM turbo like that purchased for $200? And at that, rebuilt for under $500? I'm sure its possible, but it seems senseless. You can buy watercooled, oil lubricated ball bearing turbos in the US.. Why the JDM stuff? That's such a fad in my opinion anyways.

As for the math I did, it was based on a D17, running turbos between the T2-T4 range to see what fit the best, and a T3 seems to be the best match for your app.

I wasn't generalizing too much, but the D17 motor we have lacks in low end power, so a good result would be a turbo with quick spool up, that is why I was trying to stay with a T2, T25 or T3...
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

bah, i say use a 20G or a T3/T4 and use a small shot of N20 to pre spool (plus u can purge on the intercooler!)
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX read your post and talked to the dude he traded the T24 turbo with the T25 he had. So I have a T25 turbo but need a oil return line, water line, and gaskets...

Randy

Anyone know any facts about the T25?