General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

clearing headlights illegal????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supsoop is an unknown quantity at this point
clearing headlights illegal????

i was wondering has anyone gotten pulled over for having cleared healights with white/blue lights??? cause my bro has a mazda protege and he got pulled over for having clear corners.
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
...uhhh damn
i have hyper whites on my blinkers and they're cleared and they're hyper blinkers 6x so they kinda strobe... uh oh
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
depends on where you live and how bitchy the po pos are
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

thats g*y, the cop made my bro take them off right there and go home with just the light hanging down from the sides with no covers
Old 01-26-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
florida allows white turn signals
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're that worried about it man, just clear them (you KNOW you want to!!!) and throw some amber bulbs in where the turn signal lights go!!
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

ya i really do wanna clear my lights and thats what ill prolly end up doing, putting in amber lights
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, you'll like it man. Plus when you put the amber bulbs in there, with the reflective material in there, it'll look like the turn signal area isn't even cleared!! You'll see! Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!!
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

im just scared i might f*ck something up [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] thats all, but im prolly gonna do it anyway, i was scared bout installing my own alarm but i did it anyway (it was a BIT*H)
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

You just need to follow the DIY, take your time and use lots of sillicone to seal them back up good! Don't worry about how it looks until the summertime. What I mean by that is that you will have lots of ugly goo (silicone) all around your headlight assembly. Unless you are showing it, don't worry about it! You're probably not popping your hood much this time of year anyways! Just wait until summer and clean it up good. I had help with mine and they turned out great. If you can hook up with some fellow members here that know what they are doing, I'd suggest that! Get a case of brew or something. Just take your time doing them, and don't take any shortcuts! You HAVE to take the bumper off!!!! Good luck!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

CaptainAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't clear my lights but I did put in PIAA xtreme whites in place of the license plate lights as well as the headlights and parking lights. Last Friday I got stopped for not having white lights for the license plate (I live in Massachusetts). The cop was fairly cool about it and gave me a warning so the license plate is back to the stock bulbs. Save your $10 on license plate lights for something else unless you want to get stopped here.

B.T.W. Before I installed the PIAAs I called the local police to see if clearing lights was illegal and they indicated that it was ok. The police said many newer cars have cleared side markers (which I've seen myself). However it sounds like they expect ambers in the turn signals or they have a reason to ticket you. Even the local State inspection station couldn't give me a definite answer if cleared lights would be a problem, it sounds like who you know and if you are willing to slip them an extra $5 to look the other way.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
i cleared mine back in feb 01. i use hyper whites all around and the cops never even look at me. in NC..now the mass and road island cops are just d*cks all the way around. i use to live in ct
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

ecliptiCz is an unknown quantity at this point
Check your state laws (if in the U.S.), and if you get too fed up with looking through all the shiznat, just install them, and see if the po-po's hunt you down. Most they'll do is make you take 'em down, or like, a $50 fine.

Old 01-27-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I didn't clear my lights but I did put in PIAA xtreme whites in place of the license plate lights as well as the headlights and parking lights. Last Friday I got stopped for not having white lights for the license plate (I live in Massachusetts). The cop was fairly cool about it and gave me a warning so the license plate is back to the stock bulbs. Save your $10 on license plate lights for something else unless you want to get stopped here.

B.T.W. Before I installed the PIAAs I called the local police to see if clearing lights was illegal and they indicated that it was ok. The police said many newer cars have cleared side markers (which I've seen myself). However it sounds like they expect ambers in the turn signals or they have a reason to ticket you. Even the local State inspection station couldn't give me a definite answer if cleared lights would be a problem, it sounds like who you know and if you are willing to slip them an extra $5 to look the other way.
>>

i just put polarg white 194 into my license plate last night, and a cop followed me home
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clearheadlights are legal if you put a orange bulb and replace it with your stock white one. But I am not sure about the reflector though.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

slam2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
ive never gotten pulled over yet for my clear out head lights
Old 01-27-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Its also okay in california to have clear heads...(white turn signals).
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I always heard it was illegal in California but I cleared mine anyway. If that's true, I'll stop worrying about changing lanes around cops.
Old 01-27-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Cops might still give you crap, but if you have a vehicle code book with you in your car like I do, then you can just tell them to shut their holes.

And yes it is LEGAL to have white turn signals as it is stated in the vehicle code book!

Here's the actuall statement:

<< 24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear. >>

Do your self a favor, and print out this page...it's the page that explains the vehicle turn signal rules for Cailfornia.

Print out the whole page and keep it in your car. Besure to highlight the part that you need:

Regulation: 24953 (a)

Have fun with those signals, and shove that in the cops face when he pulls you over...it's so fun showing the cop wrong, and he can't do anything about it!
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

CivicXS2 is an unknown quantity at this point
All I know is, if you modify the lights on a car in any way from stock its illegal! One of my friends is a cop so that's how I know (mind you I live in Cali)... ... use your best judgement! They wont hassle you if you put orange bulbs in though, anything other than orange is illegal!