General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
straight up if you're that worried about what she thinks, scrap the bike idea and put the money in your civic. Then again, if I had that extra money I'd do what one other member said, buy a used bike and stunt the **** out of it. Don't know how to even ride, good way to learn.
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

02SILVEREX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
First thing first.... If she is going to leave you for that, IMHO she's not worth it. The fact that she is concerened for you is a good thing though. If you can talk to her about it and let her understand you, she may still not like it, but she won't leave you.

Now going from a dirt bike to a street bike IS very diffrent. Just take it easy, know your own limits, because a motorcycle can far superseed your limits. I do agree with getting somthing a little slower for your first bike though. Atleast for the first year or two.

Side note... If you guy's think sand a gravel are difficult. Try riding in December in New England. Ice=fun
Old 06-22-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
first off .. shes a GF next you can get killed in a car just the same. As for the rest.. get a bike man its the greatest and by the way here is my new honda Interceptor and the bike even has vtec

Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
yeah, i say do what makes you happy. her concerns are valid, but its your life and if you are a smart rider you dont have to get hurt. i know they say its not if you go down its when you go down, but still...there are plenty of people that have ridden a bike all their lives and are alive and well. you know? so, get one and if she leaves you then she wasn't the one anyway. im not gonna say if you dont get one youre whipped, because thats just stupid. bikes ARE dangerous and you CAN get killed...but that doesnt mean that they have to be dangerous and you will get killed.

so, that being said...DONT get a liter bike as your first street bike. a 600cc is plenty for even seasoned riders, so whats the point of getting something that big, especially if its your first street bike? its a lot of money, waaaaaay too much power, and higher risk of getting hurt if you dont know how to handle it propperly. all it takes is one small mistake and youre pancake. im with the others on this one also. go for something smaller...better yet, get a used one so you dont feel bad when you lay it down for the first time. spend the money on good leathers and a good helmet. you can get some amazing 1 or 2 year old bikes at a super low price.
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

zambaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
im getting one too,next month...just got a license...but how's the insurance on those things....??? i've been to a motorcycle safety class and they say it'll help lower it down...
what bike do you have in mind anyway!!!
Old 06-22-2005
Se7enCyrus Racing/Motorsports

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
So whats a good beginer bike again? Anything 600CC and under? Everyone and there mother has a CBR, but they are awesome bikes. Whats some others under 4K used and for newb? Make Model?Thx, i want a bike for college,etc, im a newb though.
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

odin673 is an unknown quantity at this point
best bikes to start on will be older (pre 1998) 600s or a ninja 250/500 or a suzuki gs500f. The bikes listed are far more forgiving then any of the newer sportbikes. I myself got a ninja ZX-6(1994) a couple of weeks ago and it has served me well. If I had to do it again I would have gone for the 500R, because the brakes on any 600 sportbike will lockup very easily if you're not used to the brakes. If you think getting an R1 is a good idea for a first bike then

: Your MSF instructor is an idiot and told you riding is all for show
: You need to reconsider if you really want to ride. Everyone wants the bright shiny bike, but that is not the way to go for a first bike. If your ego would be hurt by an "ugly" bike, then maybe you should reconsider this investment all together.

Now to answer your question. You don't have to lose your girlfriend to get the bike. What I did when my folks were giving me **** was the following. I bought my helmet first. I then told them a week in advance that I would be looking for a bike. I bought the bike and although my folks don't like it, they live with it.
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
welcome noob...
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EM2typeflex
straight up if you're that worried about what she thinks, scrap the bike idea and put the money in your civic. Then again, if I had that extra money I'd do what one other member said, buy a used bike and stunt the **** out of it. Don't know how to even ride, good way to learn.

Uh....no its not a good way to learn. It's a good way to hurt yourself and cause my bike insurance to go up for your claims.
Old 06-22-2005

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
how are Kawasaki? Performence wise and durability? I know a Honda will last long, etc.
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
The new Kawasaki zx6r and zx6rr are pretty good....For a beginner you should start out with a Katana or YZF-600r....LOL....
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicguy1xxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
GO WITH A 600.........I bought a 250 ninja for my first bike, and got bored with it after a few weeks....its great to learn on but i think you outgrow it too fast. unless you want to give it to your gf after she figures out how much fun they are. I consider the 250 a mistake though.....the r-6 is a good choice. I agree with everyone about that, the r-1 is too much. My friend had a 929RR he let me ride, and after his 3rd bike he bought a 750, said the big bike was just too much. Personally im going to buy a r-1....but ive had tons of experience and understand that you have to RESPECT the bike. It is in control i dont care how much of a badass you think you are. Thats where most people make the mistake, they THINK they know what theyre doing then end up in the hospital. As for the choose between the g/f and the bike i say go for the bike, if she leaves you for that then youre better off without her....
Old 06-23-2005

yea, im thinking of just a CBR F4i, even though everyone has one. Meh.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
so after going out and shopping today, I have decided against getting a R6 as well. It looks cool and everything, but the position you have to ride it would make me go sterile after a few months. My ***** were riding that gas tank. Ive decided that for my long *** commute it would be a better investment to get a Fz6 or a sv650, both of those bikes are way more comfortable and insurance isnt as much. Plus they look just as sporty. Ive also decided against getting a new bike. Thanks for all the input guys... ill keep ya updated on what I end up getting.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Glad to see someone with some common sense. Make sure you get some good gear. And be sure to show me some pics!!!

Here's some pics for you to drool over.

The first is my old GSX-R (yellow) with my friends sv650s (silver) and my girl's gs500f (blue).

The second is my 2005 R6 Raven which I just sold to my brother-in-law.

The third is another friend's 2005 Honda Repsol edition CBR1000rr.

The last one is the morning of my birthday. A few of my boys got together and took me for a ride all day!!! They even bought my gas!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bikeshaha.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	55973   Click image for larger version

Name:	GSX-R and R6.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	55974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	55975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mug Shots.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	55976  
Old 06-23-2005
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Importracer
so after going out and shopping today, I have decided against getting a R6 as well. It looks cool and everything, but the position you have to ride it would make me go sterile after a few months. My ***** were riding that gas tank. Ive decided that for my long *** commute it would be a better investment to get a Fz6 or a sv650, both of those bikes are way more comfortable and insurance isnt as much. Plus they look just as sporty. Ive also decided against getting a new bike. Thanks for all the input guys... ill keep ya updated on what I end up getting.
You'll prolly want an SV 650-S though............sportbike looks instead of the streetfighter look
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
the sv650 is a great bike! hawk has one, PM him and hell tell you ALLLLLLLLLLL about it. lol

layinlo, that repsol bike is the sexay!!
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Thanx, I'll tell my friend.