General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
Motorcycles

So, ive been wanting to get a motorcycle for the longest time. So now that I have the money saved up, I decided to go to the dmv to get my permit and then this past weekend I took the motorcycle course to get my license. But now that I have my license, my girlfriend is throwing a FIT! She won't let me get a bike because I guess shes worried that im going to get killed. But I was talking to her tonight on the phone about going out tomorrow to get one and she flipped! She ended up telling me that I need to choose her or the bike and then just hung up. Now I dont know what to do... what would you guys do? thanks for listenin to my rant... I want to keep my girl and get a bike... but give me a reason to give her for getting the bike...
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

02blackcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
since u dont live together, get it and keep it in storage, drive your car to storage, pick the motorcycle up when u want to drive it, but NEVER drive it to her house or to meet her
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Jeromie is an unknown quantity at this point
doode i feel u trust me. i got all kinds of **** when i got my bike, which in my situation is understandable. ( my mom died on one )
i dont think u gurl is really gonna leave u if u get the bike.
i say get it and have fun, just plz have a healthy fear of what can happen, watch some vids of people crashing so u know what ur getting into.
my gurl was like that then when i was sellin it she didnt want me to.
women...
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

c kim is an unknown quantity at this point
I say bikes before hoes.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy it anyway then roll up to her doorstep and take her outside and convince her to sit on it.

Then she'll probably have to change her panties and shel'l probably dump you and take the bike.

But make sure its a good bike tho, get a honda cbr or interceptor or a gsxr or a hyabusa or something, cause you dont want to be dumped over like a gay *** katana or buell blast or something.
Old 06-21-2005
Championship White 04 Ex Coupe

jzuha01 is an unknown quantity at this point
My girl was the same way! But I went and bought it anyway, she was a little pissed off but in the end she really doesnt have any control over it. After I took her for some rides she calmed down about it and got off my back. She is even ok with me even racing it now at the local strip. So in the long run it all worked out. If your girl is so fast to break up over a motorcycle then maybe its time for u to get that bike and just keep going.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
hows the motorcycle course to get the license... like do u need to have a bike i guess to take the course or what do u need to get the license and what not. cost and length of course. wondering about looking into it.
Old 06-21-2005

AzNTiG3R is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say do what YOU want, not what others want you to do
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

RobbyB is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahha ur kidding me right get a bike, there are so much fish in the sea, dont be a loser
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

MYK1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, we got ourselves a dilemma here. I know someone that was in a similar situation and he STUPIDLY chose the bike. She ended up not leaving him but she was pissed for awhile. After 3 months, the guy was just goin' around his neighborhood and when he was about to make a left turn (around 15-20 mph) his front tire ran over some gravel on the road and his front end slid. He fell and the bike slid about 10 feet. He got major road rash on his left forearm and left leg. Looked like 3rd degree burns. The bike had minor scratches and he ended up selling it. Now he's riding something else And they lived happily ever after.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

obliviot is an unknown quantity at this point
There are two types of bike riders, the ones who have laid one down, and the ones who are going to lay one down. So just remember to wear boots, dress to slide when you ride.

I had a YZF for a long time... 30K miles worth... I laid it down twice, road conditions will bite you in the *** quickly. Sand, gravel and a little tire patch keeping the bike in contact with the ground is all it takes to make a nice 8K investment get trashed.

Just understand the faster you go the longer it takes to stop. Always wear a helmet, it saved my head twice. Oh, and you will have to remember... bike riders are invisible to most idiot drivers. Never hang out in a blind spot, either behind them or pass them, never along-the-side of the car. They will pull over on you in a heartbeat. I've been forced over by an 18-wheeler before... nothing like shifting down twice and throttling the hell out of the bike to get around that fun.

If you do have to lay it down, the back tire is much nicer to slide than the front. Especially if you have to hit the ground and roll for 80 ft.

No seatbelts or airbags dude... so please take care. They are called donor-cycles by some Emergency Medical people. Just keep safety in mind when riding. Especially if this is your first bike. If you want to race it go to a track, where its meant to be raced. City streets are not clean. All it takes is some redneck taking his truck off the curb and pulling gravel back on the road for you to have a bad day around a curve.

Good luck. Oh, you will get plenty of tail with a bike... I've been pulled over many times by hotties wanting a "ride". You'll be surprised.
Old 06-21-2005
My Baby Daddy

PlasmaGT is on a distinguished road
She has a valid concern about you getting hurt. Get the bike. She'll get over it. Just don't make a big thing about it.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
thanks for all the reply guys, but i think im still going to go ahead and get the bike. BTW its a 2005 Yamaha R1 in the Raven color... Looks friggin sick. To answer some other questions posted, the motorcycle course was 150 bucks cause im a student or 200 for anyone thats not, and its 3 days. 1st day is a classroom session where you watch a movie and answer some questions in a group. Then you take a test to prove you learned the material. Then the next two days you get to go out on the "range" and actually ride a bike. They hook ya up with a CBR125, and you get to do a bunch of courses and different manuveers. After your done wiht that, they make you take a test and if you passed the test then they give you a certificate of completion and then you can get discounts on insurance and even a new bike! Best of all he certificate lets you skip the riding portion of the DMV test which is why i took it because that DMV test looks impossible to do on anything over 125ccs... lol
Old 06-21-2005
The one and only....

Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, do whatever makes you happy. It's not her money, she should support you in whatever you want to do. If not, let her go. All you will hear is bitching and moaning. Oh and most importantly, BE CAREFUL!
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this your first bike?

DO NOT GO GET AN R1 FOR A FIRST BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is your first bike, I would recommend getting a used bike. There are a lot of reasons, but I'll list a few.

1.) Deprteciation
2.) You will drop it at some point. (It will hurt your pride and pocket less if it is a used bike.)
3.) Insurance is cheaper on an older bike.

I'm not saying to go out and buy your grandpa's old 86 gz250, but look for a 2000-2003 model.

Wait until after you take the MSF to pick out your bike. I have been riding for a long time! You will not OUTGROW a 600. You cannot, I repeat CANNOT outride the capabilities of a modern day 600 sportbike!
Old 06-21-2005
The one and only....

Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ yeah unless you are Valentino Rossi.......
Old 06-21-2005
My Baby Daddy

PlasmaGT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LayinLo
Is this your first bike?

DO NOT GO GET AN R1 FOR A FIRST BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is your first bike, I would recommend getting a used bike. There are a lot of reasons, but I'll list a few.

1.) Deprteciation
2.) You will drop it at some point. (It will hurt your pride and pocket less if it is a used bike.)
3.) Insurance is cheaper on an older bike.

I'm not saying to go out and buy your grandpa's old 86 gz250, but look for a 2000-2003 model.

Wait until after you take the MSF to pick out your bike. I have been riding for a long time! You will not OUTGROW a 600. You cannot, I repeat CANNOT outride the capabilities of a modern day 600 sportbike!
I agree. If this is your first bike, don't get a new 600. Try something like a used Ninja 250. Buy an '04 for ~$2500, get some riding time in, then move up to a 600.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

1 more thing. Women take a little time to be convinced of these things. After you take your safety course, tell you are gonna 'look around' and see if you can come across a good deal. Take a few days and when you find the 'perfect bike', tell her you found the perfect bike for the two of you to cruise around on.

Take her with you to pick out some good safety gear. This will help ease her mind and show her that you care about hers and your safety.

Some more advice: Make sure you are fully confident and capable of riding before you give her a ride. I would get a couple 1000 miles under your belt before you take her for a ride.

Obliviot was right, there are 2 types of riders. Be careful and start slow.

Here's some pics from my last wwreck just to prove my point. Like I said, I've been riding for a LONG time and it can happen to anyone at anytime. If you have anymore questions, feel free to pm me or email me and I will help in any way I can.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ouch.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	55886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike3.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	55887  
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
get it if you really want it...but the money could definately be invested in a project car. But it's up to you!
Old 06-21-2005
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
get the bike, no question

a good starter bike is an SV 650-S, that's what I'm gonna get. It's a light bike, easy to handle, and not too much power that you will wheelie super easily. it's still a dangerous machine........but i can't wait to get one. my other option is a gsxr 600, 2005, but used. Hard choice

hard choice because I'll get the SV by trading in a Raptor 660R which belongs to a good friend of mine, and take the rest of her loan onto mine in order to get her to cosign for me. the other option, the gsxr, is for sale by a friend of mine....and he'll hook me up on a sweet deal. hard choice, cause i don't want to screw her over and have her stuck with the raptor she doesn't ride......but the gsxr is soo sweet.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
stick to the 600's u crazy ****! the liter bikes will b too much 4 u to handle as a newbie. and b careful and were protective gear. never forget that u can b killed by a Daewoo or a Kia if they turn into u. U r not and will never b invincible when riding a bike.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

954rr coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
R1 may look sick, but mos def not for beginners! i got friends who ride 600 class bikes and can out run people on 1000cc bike cuz its not the bike its the rider. dont try to get the latest and greatest just to keep up with your friends and look cool, wont look so cool lying next to ur bike after you wreck (with images of your girl saying "i told you so").

the '05 cbr 600rr is sick with that tribal paint.

get the right gear before you buy the bike... quality helmet like shoei or arai, leather jacket like joe rocket (cheaper than most) leather or textile and keep it on even if all your friends take theirs off!!
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been wanting one for a long time as well. But I just got some rims, so that is my present to myself this summer, cant afford a bike yet. I'm only 21 so there is plenty of time to get one, hopefully by next summer though. I have never even driven a motorcycle, no one i have known has ever had one, so trying to find something to learn on. I have driven an atv a couple times, not for a long period of time. But everytime i see a bike fly by on the street or a pack of them down the freeway popping wheelies and ****, I get so jealous. Looks so fun.

How much total do you think it would cost to get everything, the saftey course, all the safety gear, bike, insurance and whatever else you might need?

I got to take a ride on the back of an R1 and damn been in love ever since. He got it up to 100 in like 4 seconds I swear, talk about an adrenaline rush!

Would an R1 be too much for a new rider. I'm 6'1 only about 145lbs (lightweight!) so i dont need anything with too much power, not trying to kill myself right off the start!
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Yes, check my previous posts. An R1 will be WAY TOO MUCH for a newbie.

I can ride a wheelie longer than most newbies can ride a straight line. J/K

Costs:

don't get a new bike New bike (600) - $8,500 before taxes
Gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots) - between $750-$1000
Insurance (depending on age, driving record, bike size) - $600-$6000 per year!!!
MSF - usually costs between $200-250

Then over the next year as you ride:
600 mile break-in service - between $150-$300
1500 mile service - $50-$150
New tires at 2000-3000 miles - $ 250-$500
4500 mile service - $50-$150
new tires at 5000-6000 miles - $250-$500
7000 mile service - $50-$300

It all adds up. Motorcycles aren't cheap. These are just basics. You'll want to mod it, add exhaust, custom windscreens, power commanders, blah, blah, blah.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

thanks for the input, but i dont consider myself a noob since ive been riding dirt bikes for a hella long time. I know that streetbikes are different but i got the basic skills down. I took the msf course and now its just time to get a bike. The R1 or the R6 are both really fast bikes but im convinced on the R1. My friends think a r6 is enough and after reading some of your posts I might just get one. But still gotta be a raven... lol
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=LayinLo]Yes, check my previous posts. An R1 will be WAY TOO MUCH for a newbie.

QUOTE]

My bad, I ment R6. I would kill myself on an R1!!!!
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Importracer
thanks for the input, but i dont consider myself a noob since ive been riding dirt bikes for a hella long time. I know that streetbikes are different but i got the basic skills down. I took the msf course and now its just time to get a bike. The R1 or the R6 are both really fast bikes but im convinced on the R1. My friends think a r6 is enough and after reading some of your posts I might just get one. But still gotta be a raven... lol
ummmmm dirt bikes and street bikes pretty much have nothing in common...

when i got my first bike (93 CBR600), my friend whos been riding dirt bikes his entire life but who had never ridden a street bike got on my bike to take it around the parking lot. Yea he dumped it within 10 feet. Anyway i had never ridden a motorcycle before (dirt or street) and it took me about 4 minutes to figure it out with no instructor, but that might have helped me because i had no expectations on how it was gonna react and how it was going to turn etc.

Anyway, have fun, when you wreck i hope you dont wreck too hard

lol as youve assumed by now yea i wrecked the hell out of mine, some dude pulled out of his driveway without lookin, i looked to swerve around him but he was that 1% of human beings who doesnt pull to one side when he backs out. As luck would have it i wasnt injured, my back brake locked up and threw me the hell off my bike and i landed solidly on my side, then my head bashed against the ground but my helmet worked DAMN GOOD. Sure i felt like i got thrown out of a moving car but i didnt break anything and i didnt have major road rash.

Anyway

GOOD LUCK
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

954rr coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

look what happened to this guy (got it from a bike forum)...

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/dail...05/a03lo758.htm

DARTMOUTH -- A 23-year-old motorcyclist was killed in a head-on collision yesterday, just one day after he apparently bought the bike, police said.
Michael G. Harding, of Fall River, was discovered lying in the street unconscious after the crash near 99 Bryant St. around 12:15 p.m., said Lt. Ken Cotta, a police spokesman. Mr. Harding was taken to St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford and pronounced dead. Investigators believe that Mr. Harding was driving his 2005 Honda west on Bryant Street when he veered into the eastbound lane and hit a 2000 Dodge pickup driven by Antonio J. Froias, 56, of New Bedford. Both vehicles suffered extensive damage, but Mr. Froias was not injured, police said. Dartmouth Police officer William Garcia, town detectives and the state police are investigating the crash.

He highsided into traffic, was doing about 95mph just before the crash. People act like I'm just trying to spoil their fun when I tell them not to get anything 600+ for the first bike.
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Importracer

Your welcome. I just thought I might could help. If you have to have a new bike, go for the R6, you won't be disappointed. Just be careful, the throttle on the R6 is real choppy.

Just in case your wondering how I know,
Two of my bikes.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 and GSX-R.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	55936  
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

BTW......thats a 2005 R6 Raven edition and a 2002 GSX-R 750.

I just wrecked the GSX-R (totalled) so now I gotta find a new stunter replacement.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles