General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

AEM SIR vs. INJEN RD CAI for AUTO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KUNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM SIR vs. INJEN RD CAI for AUTO?

Should I buy an Injen Race Division CAI for an auto or a AEM sri? need feedback.....getting one soon.
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
For Auto... Hmm. I'm not sure but I don't think CAI's are reccomended for ther Auto's.. Either way with an Injen or AEm SRI you cannot go wrong.. I know the Injen CAI offers the bggest performance boost of any intakes tested.. but that was tested on a 5-speed.

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

Why wouldn't the injen RD CAI be good for an auto. Injen sells it for auto's. I just wanna get the best performance posible for my auto.
Old 01-24-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
For autos, get an SRI...AEM makes the best one I think. Personally I'm waiting until spring for an intake, and hopefully by then they will have ICEMAN intakes out for our cars[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

ripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I think the reasoning behind the fact people say SRI's are better for autos is because AEM tested the SRI and the CAI and found that on auto's the SRI made more hp. I have an auto, and personally I'm pickin up an injen SRI this weekend for that reason. Check it out.

AEM applications

If you look at the applications, and the denotation at the bottom, it shows that they recommend the SRI for "maximum horsepower." Also, if I undertand correctly, the SRI produces more torque (which auto's need for a good jump) and the CAI produces more top end horsepower. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but thats something I read on the forums. Anyway, if you look at the injen vs AEM dyno tests, injen produced a little more HP and torque. Check it:

injen vs aem
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

I thought it was the opposite. The SRI gets high end power and the CAI get low end power and torque. I might be wrong....so if anyone knows what it really is we need feedback. There are a lot of people on the forum that said they went back to stock from a sri.
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

racinginindy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an Injen CAI on my 01 Automatic. It ROCKS!!! With the SRI, when the engine warms up the air in the engine bay, you get.......warmer air into the intake. With a CAI, you get......cooler air from outside the engine bay. HUGE difference!!!
Old 01-24-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

racinginindy: CAI are not always better dude. AEM is not some kind of new company that doesn't know their stuff! Why do you think that AEM doesn't make a CAI for autos? Because after NUMEROUS tests, the concluded that SRI is B-E-T-T-E-R for automatics!

KUNZ: You got the opposite...CAI generally gets you higher end power, and SRI are generally for lowerend power, and more torque!

EDIT: Also, I think that Injen SRI's are crap, so don't blow you're money on em. All they do is make sound, and if all you want is sound, go buy another cheap generic intake.
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
I must make a correction before this goes on any further......

CAI = Low end power (idle to 4000 RPM)
SRI = High end power (4000 RPM to Redline)

And I don't know what AEM was thinking on this one. They couldn't fit a CAI on an auto, but Injen could. ?? Hmmmm....
and colder air will always be better for an engine, regardless of the trans. setup. I have a AEM SRI on my auto EX, and
I plan on getting both the ICEMAN and the Injen CAI's here soon, just so I can have all three and do my own little tests on them !!
Old 01-24-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

Hmm is it SRI=High end, and CAI=low end? Crap man I've been getting my stuff backwords? Been a long day

School from 8:00am-3:15pm, then I have to go back from 7:00pm-10:00pm...man school sucks

EDIT: antidote11: AEM claimed they couldn't fit a CAI on an auto? What's so differant "fittingwise"? Isn't the throttle body diameter the same? Or is it a problem with routing the thing through out the engine bay? In either case I thought that AEM did have a test CAI intake, and that they concluded that SRI is better for autos...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-25-2002
Registered!!

slam2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i would get the aem as you can see i have an aem on my 5spd ex and it works great
Old 01-25-2002
Registered!!

slam2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the cold air one
Old 01-25-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Whosyourdaddy.....

Yeh, AEM said they really couldn't get one to fit good, and when they did, it didn't produce much power......
Even the one for the manual is not a true " Cold Air " IMO.....if you look at it, the filter still resides in
the engine bay.....the Injen RD CAI for the autos I would say is a true CAI because it places the filter outside
your engine bay and under the passenger headlight for access to colder air rushing under your car.

I have a AEM SRI on my auto and I love it, but I must say that I will get the Injen CAI just to see the difference
under my own hood.....you are your best dyno : ) But the AEM didn't fit well because of the automatic transmission
box that fills up the gap under the engine and next to the passenger fender well. But if AEM stated that they got more
power out of the SRI and not the CAI, why would Injen waste millions producing a CAI for the Autos....?? I would think
because it is beneficial. My plan is this: Fall / Winter = AEM SRI... Spring / Summer = Injen CAI
Old 01-25-2002
Registered!!

Antidote just get a bypass valve and keep it in the winter. I think I the race division CAI the tube splits in two.
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

WhoYoDadday85n -
EDIT: Also, I think that Injen SRI's are crap, so don't blow you're money on em. All they do is make sound, and if all you want is sound, go buy another cheap generic intake.
Looks like antidote11 set you in your place. I am not wrong on this topic. Call Injen and AEM and ask them both. AEM didn't make a CAI intake because they make parts that fit without major modifications to the car. On a CAI by Injen, the bumper comes off, the wheel well gets cut and the battery comes out to install it. With the AEM CAI for the manual none of those things get done. AEM makes the installs of their products easy. For dumbasses like you. Back Off!!

Oh, by the way.....while you are in school all day, take a science class and learn about air density and combustion!!!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

ecliptiCz is an unknown quantity at this point
You freaks. All of the information about AEM SRI/CAI and Injen SRI/CAI is in the FAQ. I bet you this topic was brought up many many times... some inconfident bastard that says... hey, which is better? This vs that?

Just search it before you post, and even check the FAQ once in a while.

Old 01-27-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i am ready to smack someone, we get a thread like this once a day![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

racinginindy: I respect your point...I am not going to flame you like you took the oportunity to do so to me. But here's the deal:

AEM is a much more respected company than Injen. Just because they make a CAI doesn't mean that it's better for your car (in this case an automatic). You know...some companies make products for MONEY...what makes you think that it's for the best interest for their customers (in this case performance). They know that no one else makes a CAI for autos, so they made one...now that doesn't mean its better than a SRI (AEM SRI in this argument). Ask people who know what they are talking about, SRI=better for automatic.

Oh, and by the way, next time don't flame people, simply tell them their mistakes. I personally think that it's people like you who make this board unfun. This is sopposed to be a place to learn, not a place for "flamage." So step![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Whosyodadday -
Actually it is people like you that make this not fun. Everyone is intitled to an opinion. You seem to think that your opinion on the topic is right and that no one else can think differently. I am done arguing with a teenager.

Opinions are opinions...
Old 01-27-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

racinginindy: Use some logical thinking. Ask someone who has been on this board on a while, and they will agree with me that SRI=better for automatics. If you read the begining of my post, i said

<< racinginindy: I respect your point...I am not going to flame you like you took the oportunity to do so to me... >>

I told him that I WASN'T going to biatch. I'm am just providing some enlightment on the situation.

And I am also done with this topic. If you would like some more info KUNZ, do one or both of these things:

1) Search
2) Read the FAQ