General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Anyone ever seen an in-car computer? No laptops...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dmitri is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever seen an in-car computer? No laptops...

I'm thinking about putting two 1U (thin rack mount) gaming computers in the back of my car. Hook em' up with ethernet and have multiplayer games in the back with 15" screens. Has anyone ever seen anyone else do something like this? Know where I can at least see some pics??
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah...that's what D has...
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
D is the only person Ive heard with a comp in the 2k1...
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

<< D is the only person Ive heard with a comp in the 2k1... >>

so far he is...but who knows if the future
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

You mean Derek? I don't think I wanna go that far. Those things cost in the neighborhood of $4000. I'm talking have 2 computers for about $1600.. But it is a real nice example.. btw, flat screens come from computer flat screens work threw out because the fuses on the inverter board blew. oh no.. put it on a ups and by-pass the fuse. They don't realize how easy this stuff is. Their motto is "If it's broke, buy a new one"....
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

not just 2k1's.. but any car.
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

D = Derek (The King)
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

rallyred2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I see a little brown nosing going on.....j/k
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, D's setup is nice but not the first nor the best I've ever seen. I saw video of an integra with a 15" display in back two 6.4" in front, and two 5" LCD's in the headrests, along w/ PS2/DVD, PC, and I think he had VHS but couldn't see everything really well... but what they did close ups on was like !!
Old 01-21-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
I have a comp just itching to get into my car. I just ordered it. It's going in and I'll have pics by next week! Its a bookpc that's running a 20gig HD, P3 1ghz, 6.4" VGA screen in the front, with TravRoute Copilot GPS system. I also have a slot load DVD player in the front also. You'll see! I'll keep you posted!
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

i think it's just a TV screen for now...i dont think he done anything yet !!!
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Do you think me doing this would be a good idea? I mean, hey.. I'm a computer nerd.. I should customize my car accordingly..
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Anybody? I've searched the net for days and still can't find anyone else that's done this.. is it just a bad idea? Should I drop it and just spend money on a body kit or something?
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
did what you want to do. if u want a computer, go for it.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

exactly how much did you spend on yours? Is it a laptop's screen? Did you just break one up and put pieces here and there? Or is it a normal VGA screen? The only place besides your car where I have seen something like that is on sounddomain.com. They're selling a car pc which pretty much fits in where your head unit goes.. $4600 I think..
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
do you have a lot of passengers in your car that would be able to benefit from the computers in the back? to me it would be useless to put something in that is not going to be used all the time. I would rather spend the money on some nice wheels or a sound system. just me.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

My car's loaded with people about once a week.. Other than that, just me and my gf..
Old 01-22-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

It doesn't matter if you dont use it all the time! It's just the fact that you have it there that's comforting[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

I mean doesn't the fact that you can goto your car, and watch a movie instead of going to your math class mean anything to you[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Sparty is an unknown quantity at this point
Multiple computers, probably a bad idea.

First of all, if you don't plan on running laptops, good luck finding a "respectable" viewing surface. TV's will look like crap and you you'll have a hell of a time trying to read off of them. Flat panel monitors are going to cost you a bundle.

Are you planning on running a LAN in your car? You can try it out if you want, but you'll need more than just two computers. If you want it running smoothly you'll need to get a router which will run you $100 at the bare minimum. You could always hook up a hub, but you'll be suffering a some bandwidth loss.

Did you ever think about how much power you're going to be taking up?

Don't try running DVD's off of them either. They make Car DVD players for a reason; anti-skip. If you try playing a DVD off of a computer you'll be picking up some major skippage, especially with the amount that our cars back end jumps.

The idea is there.
Feasable: Yes
Practical: Hell no

PS: If you're not a computer nerd I would stay as far away from this project as possible. You'll be wasting your time, and money.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

<< Multiple computers, probably a bad idea.

First of all, if you don't plan on running laptops, good luck finding a "respectable" viewing surface. TV's will look like crap and you you'll have a hell of a time trying to read off of them. Flat panel monitors are going to cost you a bundle.
>>

Well, first of all, I already have 2 15" flat screens.. work is throwing them out because they blew a fuse.. so.. the cost of a wire and some time with the ol' iron..

<< Are you planning on running a LAN in your car? You can try it out if you want, but you'll need more than just two computers. If you want it running smoothly you'll need to get a router which will run you $100 at the bare minimum. You could always hook up a hub, but you'll be suffering a some bandwidth loss. >>

I'm a computer nerd from hell. I'm a 20 year old network administrator (only one at the company) managing 4 offices, 11 servers (NT, 2000, Mac, Linux), and over 100 computers and printers and there's a wide area network with frame relays hooking everything up. And the two computers in one car, I can just hook up a cross over cable between the two and it will run 200mbit (100 full duplex like running through a switch). No extra cost there.. My main problem is I have to take the two 15"ers apart and cut and crimp cables and make a custom housing for them. It's just too big with all the crap already on there.. I'm thinking of finding a way to do flip down with them, but haven't figured it out yet.

<< Did you ever think about how much power you're going to be taking up? >>

up to 150w max (probably only 90w most of the time) per computer, and 40w per screen. That's it. If I decide to put DVD in one of the computers (highly likely.. maybe both), I'll be running 250w (probably only 200w most of the time) per computer. That's 290w per computer and 580 for both. There are 600w inverters that run off of cigarette lighters.. I'll get one of those and of course I'll hide it and splice cables right to the battery.

<< Don't try running DVD's off of them either. They make Car DVD players for a reason; anti-skip. If you try playing a DVD off of a computer you'll be picking up some major skippage, especially with the amount that our cars back end jumps. >>

They make laptop style loading cd and dvd rom drives for desktops. Those will do fine.. but I probably won't do DVD.. Then I can't put in a GeForce card..

<< The idea is there.
Feasable: Yes
Practical: Hell no
>>

No, not practical.. but have you ever heard of anyone doing it before? Next road trip to Ohio will be fun.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

<< PS: If you're not a computer nerd I would stay as far away from this project as possible. You'll be wasting your time, and money. >>

The main problem with all of this is that I have big a$$ 15" screens. They will be a little bulky.. and where to put the keyboards and mice.. Know of any puny keyboards?
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

racinginindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Dmitri,

Are you really in your car that much to need a PC for gaming?

Old 01-22-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

LOL dude, let the guy do what he wants! If he wants to do it, then let him be. I didn't let any one stop me when I did it to my car (I only have one computer). You guys, this is nothing new.

Dmitri: Go over to http://www.mp3car.com and sign up for their forums and post questions there. You'll get more details responces, and fewer people telling you it's a bad idea because most of the people on that board have carputers. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Thanks for the web link..

No, I won't be in the car that much, but where I live, the nearest decent place to go shopping or do anything fun besides fish, drink, and boating is 200 miles away.. Just bring couple of friends.. one who can drive a stick.. and I sit and be lazy in the back (or front.. hmm) seat and play quake 3 against a real person.. It'd be kinda nice for work, too.. just get a 100' ethernet cable and take it to the other offices.. any software I need I could store on those. hehe... just kidding.. games only.. Plus, my ex boss has an ISP and is thinking of doing 1mbit wireless throughout the keys. Just put an 802.11b wireless router in and I'm surfin' the net while driving.. well.. I won't be driving.. Well, come to think of it.. I've played Worms Armageddon while driving.. (don't try this) It used to be a 45 minute trip home.. gets kinda boring.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Oh, and in 4 months, I've put on a little over 10,000 miles.. about 2500 miles a month.. yes, I drive a lot. I luv my civic.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

scsikid is an unknown quantity at this point
how the heck! where do u wire this stuff? i was thinking of taking apart my pc to add it in... my question is where do u put the computer components and where do u put the lcd? in dash is where i want mine.... but how about a big enough spot etc.

how do u control the o/s? mouse or something?
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

I just found this site.. http://www.ashleypowers.com/index.htm

This tells you how they put it into the dash.. quite complicated. I'm just going to to flip downs.. one in front and one in back or both in back.. haven't decided. And as for wiring, I'm thinking underneath carpet.. Not sure on that one yet. As for the cpu itself, I'm going to bolt a chopped up rack to the top of the trunk and put 1U cases in. keyboard and mouse... well, I'm thinking just get a spot to store the kb, but the mouse.. I'm thinking optical.. But there will have to be somewhere to put a small pad. I can't be playing quake 3 on no touch pad or track ball... I hate losing.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

LexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
yo that's gotta cost his *** more money than his engine........lol
i wonder how he gets the money
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

ok.. I think I've got how I'm going to do the overhead 15" screens.. The link I pasted.. Maybe I could carve some wood up and make a custom housing.. How easy is it to screw things into the roof and how easy (or hard) is it to run cable through the headliner? BTW, I've decided.. one for the front passenger and one for the passenger side rear. That way, they can't see the other one when he's getting stalked from dark corners in the games.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

Link correction:

Click Here