General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

makin your car quieter...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
makin your car quieter...

yep since my auto civic coupe will never be fast ('cept for boost), might as well make it as comfy/enjoyable as possible. been doin a lot more freeway driving lately than usual and i simply do not like all the road noise inside the cabin (i know our cars aren't meant to be super quiet, but hey, haha im always trying to find some cheap stuff to do ). my dad's camry and mom's accord is much quieter, so maybe its time to install some extra sound-deadening material in the car.

first off, my question is from which points does sound transfer from outside--> insiide the most? (ie the little hole behind the backseats into the trunk, the trunk itself, door panels, the roof, firewall, etc). should i be using some dynomat? how much are they? if i were to sound-deaden-fy my car, which place should i start? maaan i sound like a noobie (then again, to this kind of stuff i am , please bear with me)

any input would be much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
door panels are a big source of noise cause they have the least material. Just a plastic bag covering the holes. But you could always get quieter tires, too.
Old 02-24-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Thats the kind of questions that we need on this site...Well Honestly like gear said ...the doors and I would say the trunk Lid..I guess you cant really get into dynomating the floor...\

You also have to realise that Civic'c are just made with less material than a camry or accord and are much lighter...

Also if you remove the rear deck and all the sides of plastic besides the rear seats youll find the wheel wells so maybe those too can be dynamated...
Old 02-24-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I dynamatted the floor inside and in the trunk. Didn't make that much difference, doors made the most. You can get rubberized underpoating (paintable) and spray that under the wheel wells outside the car.
Old 02-24-2005
I'm The Ballz Of 7th Gen

MishBallzEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by _Viper_
Thats the kind of questions that we need on this site...You also have to realise that Civic'c are just made with less material than a camry or accord and are much lighter...
+1
thats what you get for only paying $15k for a brand new car
Old 02-24-2005
You cant spell CRAP without APC

MarylandEcstasy is an unknown quantity at this point
getting fatter tires would help too lol
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

Leets is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound is going to leak through any two panels that aren't sealed. Go to the hardware store and get some foam hole sealer. I can't remember the name of it, but you should be able to find it in the insulation section. While you're in that area pick up a couple rolls of foam insulation (fiberglass works better, but unless you'll be welding metal over it, I wouldn't recommend using it in your car). Once you have all that go pull out all your interior panels. Take the foam filler spray and lay down a thin layer over all the places it looks like metalpanels meet (where the door skin meets the door frame, where the wheel wells meet the inner fender panels, etc.). If you get the right kind of filler it will expand so you don't need a lot. Once that has completely dried take the roll of foam insulation and start cutting it into the right size to place throught different areas of the car. It can be rolled up, wadded up, or simply stuffed into any space between the metal. When that's done you can start on the floor panels. Just go to any carpet store and pick up some thick under-carpet padding (I think 3/4" is the thickest they sell now). Pull out all the carpeting and cut the padding to fit underneath.

The most popular route for most people is to load up on dynomat and weigh down their car. However, dynomat is not an insulator. It's sole purpose is to deaden vibrations in the metal which in turn improve the acoustic properties of the cabin. It's also a grip more expensive than it's equally efficient competition. If you want to improve acoustics, the cheapest way (that still works) is to buy some really good rubberized undercoating (make sure it's RUBBERIZED) and spray a couple layers over all the interior metals. Honda was kind enough to pad the car with its own brand of Dynomat so buy more material would be a bit of overkill in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

bradaven760 is an unknown quantity at this point
the most noise in the car, if you ask any mobile audio guy is from the fire wall. It is the part that gets the most air and road noise. If want to get your car to ride quieter I would suggest having your floor and firewall dynamatted. It is quite expensive for the labor bc it is a pain in the ***. The floor would be pretty labor intensive but if you dynamatted the floor and the firewall and got some fatter tires youd notice a huggggggge difference. I sold my car because of this problem and got a tC. Sucks to have a lot of noise doesnt it?

Brad
Old 02-24-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
the new RLs and TLs have carpeted wheel wells, the dealer said it was for sound deadening. Maybe you could carpet your wheel wells?
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
they sell this sound proofing stuff that you can put inside your car.. they sell it at audio stores, i forget what its called.. its cheap though.. it comes stock on like benz's and stuff. why don't you just turn your music up so you can't hear the noise?
Old 02-25-2005
Registered!!

12sec elcamino is an unknown quantity at this point
The panels on the side of the car in the rear where the handles have no sound proofing at all, when I had them out to do my stereo I noticed that. I would assume if one would insulate the metal from the inside Im sure that would make a huge difference in road noise.
Old 02-25-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 12sec elcamino
The panels on the side of the car in the rear where the handles have no sound proofing at all, when I had them out to do my stereo I noticed that. I would assume if one would insulate the metal from the inside Im sure that would make a huge difference in road noise.
Camino understands
But what about moisture and corosion????
Insulating with what???
thats the question
Old 02-25-2005
Registered!!

SmiteSwift is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea. . . the stock tires are crap. After I replaced mine the noise went way down, especially on the highway.

Maybe some dynamat (or brown bread) in the doors and trunk.
Old 02-25-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, if you buy this stuff called grace co ice and water guard, you can install it instead of dynamat. I just bought a whole roll of it for $56.00 and I got 200 square feet. The Dynamat at my local audio shop was $200.00 for only 20 square feet. You do the math? Its the same stuff it just doesnt have the aluminum backing on it. In fact im pretty sure all of it is made in like ohio or something dynamat and this stuff. Dynamat is just a name.