General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

question on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alexxx is an unknown quantity at this point
question on exhaust

straight piping with tip means no muffler right? so if i got straight piping with no muffler and just tip.. what are my gains and losses on performance sound or whatever. plus how much would this cost estimate.
Old 12-29-2001
Registered!!

CivicEX2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
say good bye to ur low end torque and welcome the LOUD noise known as vroom vroom. btw u get a lil high end torque
Old 12-29-2001
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not sure where you live but most states are required that you have a muffler.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2001
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point

<< straight piping with tip means no muffler right? so if i got straight piping with no muffler and just tip.. what are my gains and losses on performance sound or whatever. plus how much would this cost estimate. >>

I have never heard of someone running a straight pipe with no muffler and just a tip. I think straight pipe means just running a pipe from the header to the rear with No catalytic...but WITH a muffler. I could be wrong.

I have heard of people running open header (which means no piping after the header) But that's usually at the track. It makes an unbelieveable amount of noise. Running a straight pipe without a catalytic will also cause alot of noise.

Depending on the size of the piping is whether or not you will lose back pressure. One thing you dont wanna lose is backpressure...you will be slower. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] SO just be careful and make sure you do all your research before you go and do somethin silly
Old 12-29-2001
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
won't you lose backpressure and start back firing?
Old 12-29-2001
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
The backfiring is possible. U WILL Lose back pressure. But I believe that backfiring usually occurs when youa re running very rich. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2001
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
blah
Old 12-29-2001
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
straight pipping usually refers to replacing the cat with a pipe... I have heard of people running with out the muffler..

I doubt u gain any noise by replacing the cat, u do gain more horsepower definitely from the better airflow... though dont expect to pass smog test and running a car without the cat is illegal cuz you're causing pollution..

if u want noise... just replace the exhaust resonator with a straight pipe.. that should gain some noise.. u can go for another step and replace the stock muffle with an aftermarket one too.
Old 12-29-2001
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
My old car was a 99 zx2. Just for fun i had removed the muffler and from the cat i ran a straight pipe with a resonated tip. My 2.0 sounded like a 5.0! I did notice a little power gain not much though. But after a while the tip rusted from the inside out and the sound got crappy. Then I traded it in and got my 2k1[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]