General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gains of a SHORT RAM Intake?

Old 12-26-2001
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
Gains of a SHORT RAM Intake?

Ok, I've never seen a dyno chart or anything for anyone with a short ram intake. The cold air supposedly gets 4 dynoed. What am I suppose to expect from a Short Ram? Bout 2 or so? I've got the Injen short ram, kinda sorry that I got it considering theyre selling Generic Short Rams in a Dutch Auction for only $39.99 each [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
At the most, a CAI will get you about 1 - 1.5 more horses (at the extreme most)....so your short ram will put you at about 2-3 HP, but it will respond better than a CAI at high RPMs. I have a short ram and love it !! And you have to look at the whole package...a cat-back, headers, and intake are nothing by themselves or even with the two...you need all three to get the max. effect from all three.
So without headers, we'll say a short ram gets you 2 HP, well that same intake combined with headers may get you double that.
Old 12-26-2001
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
IMO, none. here's why I think that way:

people dyno the car with the hood open... which doesn't reflect real world situations where as... well, you dont drive with the hood open. or have a big fan blowing in at your engine while you're driving..

now supposely the fan is to simulate the air u get while traveling at certain speed, BUT, you still dont drive with your hood open... people dyno the car with the short ram and hood close, you lose like 10 hp!! while on the under hand, the stock loses like only 2 hp from the hood open setting.

although the air in the hood does get circulated... but it stays within the engine bay.. so as a daily driver, the built up of the hot engine bay will be sucked in by a short ram... if say, you just turned on ur car and do a quick 1/4 mile run while the engine bay air is still decently cool, you might see some gains in power and torque... BUT, after driving around for about over 30 minutes, the air inside the engine bay will be hot enough.

another thing, you will lose low end torque, this is cuz the stock resonator isn't just there to muffle up the noise.. it gives the throttle body an already available air supply once the throttle is open...

IMO, a good way to fix the sucking hot air, and gather more cool air is mugen's way with their new product... u can check it out at mugen's site... and you dont lose low end torque too.. unfortunately its costy and I doubt its available for our cars...

but, if u check out mugen's product, bust out some DIY power, and turn a short ram into something like that... it may or may not fix that low end torque lost. shrug.

well thats all I can think of.. er.. yeah.
Old 12-26-2001
Registered!!

nymbus2k is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the injen sri and cai ... and to be honest .. i liked the sri better because of the better response .. but as for the cai .. i'm getting better lower-end torque and lower-end sound .. it sounds like my engine is actually trying in the lower rpms ...
Old 12-26-2001
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, it's something to do with the back-pressure within the intake. A shorter intake has less back-pressure because there is less air in there to restrict air flow. A longer intake has more air within the intake and therefore restricts air flow a little more. How that translates into improved response at lower and higher rpm's is beyond me? However, it seems to be the same way with headers. You need a certain amount of this back-pressure to help you out in the lower rpm's. Whatever.

I think an AEM CAI sort of compromises betwean the Injen CAE (long intake) and the Injen IS (short intake). It's not as long. I think it's the same width though. Anyway, I'm getting the AEM CAI because I want my lower rpm's not to suffer and I need the space under the passenger side headlight for my air horns.
Old 12-26-2001
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
Did you just say a short ram gets more HP gain than a Cold Air? I thought cold air always gained you more HP because it's bringing in cold air closer to the ground?
Old 12-26-2001
Registered!!

bth Go Army is an unknown quantity at this point
slap a hood on with some vents to vent out the hot air..and i think the SRI might be as good as the cai???? any other opinions