General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

new car (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
udai is an unknown quantity at this point
new car (maybe)

Sup everyone.. im looking to a civic as a first car instead of going for a new scion tc ..soon.. and i was looking around and found a 95 civic with a 98 gsr engine swap. I was wondering if 6300 was a good price for this car (around 42k mi on it). Heres a list of its mods (not something i really care for but is a plus i suppose):

1.8 dohc vtec, 5 speed GSR tranny.Engine: Skunk2 intake monifoul, intake, Skunk2 stage 1 cams, ACT 8lb lightweight flywheel, new EXEDY stage 2 racing cluth, DC sports 4-1 headers, 2.5" diameter complete exaust, fuel presure regulator, custom interior, Tenzo Rally racing seats, carbon fiber HP racing steering wheel, carbon fiber dash kit, carbon fiber hood, type R rear spoiler, mugen front lip, type R rear lip, 99 civic SI side skirts, Z 3 fenders, racing cross drilled rotors, 17" rims, front upper strut bar, jdm new clear head and corner lights, JDM tail lights.
Im also guessing that it was an ex (sunroof). Is the price too good to be true? Maybe something wrong with the engine (rolled back/stopped miles even)?
Any input would be much appreciated
ill also try to post some pics soon
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
Take the car to two shops and let them inspect the car. I think 6300 sounds fair
Old 01-15-2005
awd pwnz j00
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
i would never buy a modded car... you never know what they did to it and how they treated it.
Old 01-15-2005
SICCMADE

Danka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
that sounds like a good price but a new car is so much better than used, i say go with the tc. it wont blow up in 2 weeks, scion has some pretty nice upgrades for it, and the list go's on and on, just do the homework and compare the price of a new car that will last a good 200K if you treat it good or a used modded car that you can be replacing parts on every other week if the previous owner beat it to death
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
yeah now a days, the price of a new car and used car isn't that different due to low apr rates now. I was going to buy a used 03 or 02 civic, then i did the math and i found out that for $20 more a month i can buy a new 04 civic. So i just bought the 04.

Keep in mind that anyone willing to spend the money to swap there car, probably raced the **** out of it.

if you can wait, then i would just wait for the 8th gen civic and see wat it offers. The 8th gen civic seems more of a revolutionary step up then a evolutionary one that the 7thgen civic was to the 6th gen.
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

prccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
ya that would be a sweet car...but its a modded car...that means that it was destroyed by the driver....i would get the scion because its a new car...with a warrenty....with a new engine and everything...the scion will be a much better car for u
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

ya i figured that much lol.. the thing is, id be dropping around 6g or so on that used car and it would be paid off. For the tC id be dropping 6g on the downpayment and id pay around 250 a month (lower for the 60 mo term)+ around 120 a month for insurance. I honestly dont know if i can keep up with the payments (even if i made enough).. im factoring in college costs in a few years which will totally rape me. Since i am considering this car is there anything in particular that would let me know if he beat down on it? Also.. if you can keep adding comments id really appreciate it. Ive really been researching the hell outa the tC and it is the best low end bang for your buck car (imo) but if i lose my job or something those payments would send me straight to the *******
Old 01-16-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
yeah it sounds like a good price but i wouldnt buy it. If its modded then you know he raced it and who knows whats wrong with it, but if you really want it go get it checked by a mechanic to see if there are any problems. Around where i live some guy sold a nicely modded hatch for 5300 on autotrader then right after that the person who bought it sold it and to me that seems kind of funny. Why would he sell it right when he bought it......
Old 01-16-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by import2nr
i would never buy a modded car... you never know what they did to it and how they treated it.
Yeah i wouldn't buy a car that has been moded. You never know what you get. It might be a piece of ****, but it can run nice, but to know for sure take it to a mechanic and make him do a full inspection of the car. Including leak down and compression test.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
i've seen integra gsr sell for around 6k on craigslist. If you want something already paid off might as well just get the car that comes with it stock and no mods.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
If u want it, have it checked out by a few trustworthy mechanics. IN the end i would keep looking. Besides, even though it is modded it is still a lot of money for an old school civic. the tc would be more money no doubt, if u can handle the payments that might be a good option, toyota quality, brand new, starts every time, no water pumps or alternators going out etc. Just cuz it is paid off (civic) doesnt mean you're gonna have to dump at least some money into it for repairs. THey might be hondas but they still have little pesky probs here and there
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

K so if i do get, lets say 2 mechanics to look at it.. if they say its all good should i go for it? Im really in sort of a bind because i need a decent car, unfortunately im picky as hell and i want it to be quick. My mom has an 04 civic and it really takes some pedal mashing to get this thing going (i havent mashed the pedal yet lol). Any other suggestions or more advice? Im hoping the mechanics can find out if stuff is going to fall off the car, or if itll last me like 4 - 5 years (going overboard maybe?).
Thanks for all the help so far..
Old 01-16-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
if you know your hondas well, its a great car just to let you know. from your first post, it seems like you like the car but dont know every single piece thats included with it. a civic with a gsr swap is a great project car to deal with. but for 6g+, i think that price is fair considering its been raced a few times, modded, and has fresh paint still.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get it checked by a performance shop or ask him where he did all his work if he didnt do it himself. Check if the swap was done right. Also don't buy this if you need to pass emissions cuz i doubt it will unless somehow he got it to pass illegaly. It seems like somewhat of a good price. For a lil more you could probably get yourself a ek sir turbo. they go for around 7k, 7500k check out honda-tech.com
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get it checked by a performance shop or ask him where he did all his work if he didnt do it himself. Check if the swap was done right. Also don't buy this if you need to pass emissions cuz i doubt it will unless somehow he got it to pass illegaly. It seems like somewhat of a good price. For a lil more you could probably get yourself a ek sir turbo. they go for around 7k, 7500k check out honda-tech.com

i.e.
2 liter ls/vtec turbo 450whp for 8000 obo
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1106649

Last edited by XxJDMCivicxX; 01-16-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

If this thing didnt pass emission could i get into any trouble (sry, i like cars and all but im a newb)? And i have to add, i think this car is perfect for me. Its not too expensive, its m/t which is what i want... i feel that itll be good to use through college and will teach me how take care of a car, and itll teach me an added respect for any vehicle i decide to get in the future. Ive been looking around auto trader and ive only seen 1 or 2 other cars that i would want and this was ahead by alot
heres a pic of the car: http://img26.exs.cx/img26/5985/civic28gv.jpg

and here is the original auto trader article, i just found it lol
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...rs=&cardist=40
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

bump
any more opinions/ suggestions?
Old 01-17-2005