General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

60000Km's , and Plugs have black carbon Buildup???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinkytube is an unknown quantity at this point
60000Km's , and Plugs have black carbon Buildup???

All of my friends who have 2001, 2002 civics all have that regular "tan red" wear on their plugs. My 1.7EL ( which is just a civic with a simple VTEC in it) has black carbon deposits on all 4 plugs. I always put "super" in it. But I do not think it would cause these deposits. I do all of the maintenance, I changed the air filter 3 times already, and I use amsoil synthetic 5w30 every 7500KM's. Does anyone know how I can make the plugs wear like they are supposed to? BTW, I just put in 4 NGK Iridiums, and BOY what a difference in fuel economy and idle!

Is there something wrong with my engine? Or is this normal?
Thanks
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
Do you baby your car? That's most likely it. You're better off driving it hard ocassionally, it builds up the heat required to blow buildup out. I know, I used to work next to a smog station, the things I've seen...
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
using super might be the problem. supposedly using it when you dont need it will lead to carbon build up
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I had the same problem, mine were covered in carbon build-up and looked like ****. Also changed mine to NGK iridiums. Havent tried it out yet though.
Old 06-27-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Hondas are high-revving engines by design. If you baby it too much, you'll get black plugs. The car needs a good high-speed run now and again to keep the internals clean.

Case and point: My first Honda, a 77 Accord bought in NICE shape from an older couple some time ago. It ran "OK", but sluggish. Plugs were black. I just started driving it a bit harder every day. After a week or so it really started picking up in speed and power. Plugs were clean. So were the valves and pistons, I'd figure.
That car ran till 2002. When the engine finally blew the head without warning, I figured it was time to move on. So I drive my 02 civic pretty hard at least once a week. It runs flawlessly. So don't be afraid to run it out some.
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

silvermugen is an unknown quantity at this point
Same here almost once a day just let it rev in the first 2 gears to 6000 grand.
that's it, it keep's the mechanic away.
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

pinkytube is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys are great! Thanks

Thanks. I will try that.

I am just a little worried about pushing the car too much. Acura changed the automatic tranny this past winter, and I am nervous about putting too much stress on the second one. ( They changed it under warranty ); I think I'm gonna put amsoil synthetic ATF when I change the fluid.

My engine is a little noisier than it was when new, do you guys think I have to adjust the valves already??

Thanks for everything!
Old 06-27-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pinkytube
Thanks. I will try that.

I am just a little worried about pushing the car too much. Acura changed the automatic tranny this past winter, and I am nervous about putting too much stress on the second one. ( They changed it under warranty ); I think I'm gonna put amsoil synthetic ATF when I change the fluid.

My engine is a little noisier than it was when new, do you guys think I have to adjust the valves already??

Thanks for everything!
is that what makes your car sound louder casue them i need my vavles ajusted.. please let me know i ve been making a list for honda cause im going for a 90,000 service and i got extended warrenty so i need them to fix everything before i go over 100,000 miles