General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

new car styling

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importuner86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down new car styling

I am so angered at car companies.
Personally I hate the look of the new r35 from all the pictures of prototypes to g35 ripoffs I've seen. I hate the prototype new supra. I hate the chevy ssr, the gto the new mustang the pt cruiser turbo and above all the new cobra. Caroll shelby did approve of the new cobra but personally i think it looks horrible. New cadillacs just looks stupid trying to look futuristic. Chevy and Ford are trying to go retro but can't pull of the styling. The new corvette is one exception-but it looks more Italian than American. I know lots of these cars can haul @ss but the styling is terrible. Overall I think car styling reached it's high point in the 60's and 70's then in the eighties cars all looked boxy (due somehow to the gas crisis) they came back in the 90's and now are going back downhill. So far the Japanese manufacturers haven't been sucked into this styling slump so far and I hope it stays that way. Oh and the crossfire looks like a cross between the back of a vw beetle and the underside of a boat on the hood

Last edited by importuner86; 06-08-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I know what you mean about looking futuristic. Some of them go too far, and eventually we're gonna have a bunch of egg-shaped cars driving around.
Old 06-08-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i dunno, but i 'kinda' like the new model cars. but i agree on how they try to do something when they cant pull it off right. many people have their opinions though, you'd be surprised if someone said they would take an 91 civic hatchback over the newer models. its all opinions but i do somewhat agree on what you said about the cars listed.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

OH and don't get me started on 'sport utility vehicles' there is no such thing anymore. take for example the H2 or land cruiser

Last edited by importuner86; 06-08-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I wish I could pen a couple of cars. I wouldn't do anything retro or futuristic, I would just draw something that I think looks cool. Everyone is trying to look different. I remember the uber-bland rolling boxes from the late 80's and early 90's, now those were horrible. Everything nowadays, looks good, but some things could be better...
Old 06-08-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
i think your buggin.. you. get use to it.. they just have to grow on us
Old 06-08-2004
Banned

acjones20 is an unknown quantity at this point
the new vette is beautiful, the GTO is really growing on me (I can't wait for the 405HP judge w/ the ram air hood) and the cadillac XLR looks SOOOO good in person. You just have to see one going down the road, looks 100x better than a german equivalent. The new mustang has potential, but will be gay in the V6 tim like the current one and that's what you'll see mostly. New dodge magnum is what I'd like SUVs to transition too (RWD, 4 door, low and muscular). I'm tired of suburbans and excursions trying to kill me on the highway while the driver yaps on the phone.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by importuner86
Overall I think car styling reached it's high point in the 60's and 70's
My g/f has a theory that the fins from the '50s are going to show up in future car designs. I guess it could make an interesting car today, if used the right way.
Old 06-08-2004
I'm an idiot.

Shambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont forget to mention two other cars that have been ruined by idiocy.
Impala '97 and up
Monte Carlo. Which in SS trim has 200 hp, and its a FWD car... WTF!
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

oh and I think they ruined the mr2 and made the spyder
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
So, I don't like peanut butter. They way they pass it off, trying to make it creamy or crunchy.

It’s just an opinion. You don’t like the way GM and Ford is going, and that’s ok. I’m my opinion I love what the “Big 3” are doing. Especially Chrysler and GM, these two companies are finally lessening to the public and what they want.
Old 06-08-2004
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe you dont like new cars because your a "import tuner" LOL
Old 06-08-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
i think all the new car styles look quite good.

Which supra concept and R35 concept are you talking about? There are so many.
Also, you need to remember that the G35 IS a skyline. So a R35 skyline will naturally resemble our G35.

The only exception to the new, nice car styling would be the eclipse concept. That thing is just horrible.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i know its your opinion and all, but i have to disagree w/ you on the american cars. the new nissans and new accord suck. thats true. the nissan front ends are just horrible through the whole model line. the new bmw's are pretty bad also...grr

however, i love the direction the domestics are going. i love the new mustang, and the viper looks mean. the cadi's, except for the suv's are all good looking i think. great lines. and the new bronco concept is plain awesome! the vette is trying a bit hard to be a ferrari and the new cobra does suck. youre right. but i def. wouldnt go as far as saying that all the new cars are ugly. have you seen the new GT 40 (or whatever its called?)

you just have to look in the right places.
Old 06-08-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
yo . you really buggin