General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

100 percent octane

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ferio is an unknown quantity at this point
100 percent octane

hi can someone explain to me what will happen if i put 100 octance in my car? i mean will it do anything performance wise? keep the engine cooler etc? or will i fVck up my engine? thanks!
Old 11-27-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
why would you want to do that ? i doubt it would do anything performance wise ( like give you 100 extra hp LOL) but if you have no reason to put it in then why would you? And if you do have a reason what do you have?

Edit: where would you get some thing like that? at a race track?
Old 11-27-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
It'll probably make the car run worse. The compression isn't high enough to burn it. The higher the octane, the harder it is to get it to detonate, so the engine will just have to work harder to run. Just put 87 in it. Thats what the car is designed and tuned to run on... anything higher is just wasting money.
Old 11-27-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
^^^ well put boilermaker ....
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

KingTorq is an unknown quantity at this point
incomplete burn (burns too slow for a vic), =loss of power. it would prolly kill your cat by dumping too much unburned fuel on it. If you milled your heads down to, say, 13:1, and figured how to bump your timing up, then your car would sing on 100 octane, but would ping on 91.

your car is basically tuned for 90 oct. it may pull some timing if the gas is lower grade, and may do full advance (which aint much) if you run 91/93, but you may hit full anv. with 89- that is kinda car to car diff, and station to station gas quality.
Old 11-27-2003
Banned

HustleLikeMOFO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Boilermaker1
... anything higher is just wasting money.
WRONG!

I say this over and over in the gas threads, Diesel is the best way to go. Even though our cars are not designed to handle diesel, it still wouldnt hurt putting some in. You will get more hp (15-20 gains), better gas milege and you tires and paint will last longer too.
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

ferio is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Mr.Modify
why would you want to do that ? i doubt it would do anything performance wise ( like give you 100 extra hp LOL) but if you have no reason to put it in then why would you? And if you do have a reason what do you have?

Edit: where would you get some thing like that? at a race track?
no dude.. i was arguing with a friend.. you can buy em in some gas stations in cali(so i've heared) for 5 bucks per gallon.. i wasnt tryin on doin it.. i just want info so i could make him shut up on his theory..ok? anyway happy thanks giving to all!!
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

civicr34 is an unknown quantity at this point
i put 87 in my civic and when i get to 80 mph it smells like something died in my engine and then i dipped my finger in the gas tank nozzle are and wiped some residue from the tank and it smelled like *** so i put 93 and everything is good again
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by HustleLikeMOFO
WRONG!

I say this over and over in the gas threads, Diesel is the best way to go. Even though our cars are not designed to handle diesel, it still wouldnt hurt putting some in. You will get more hp (15-20 gains), better gas milege and you tires and paint will last longer too.

too funny. the paint will last longer!
Old 11-27-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
awesome! i'm gonna go put diesel in my car right now cuz i need gas .... brb guys
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
I put 100 octane in my car once, and it happened to be the same day my brakes decided to go out... so I couldnet really tell a difference, except that I was broke from paying 3.99 per gallon
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

cvcpwr2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
man, someone is gonna misinterpret and f*ck up their ride
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

nynezilla is an unknown quantity at this point
the 100 octane fuel doesn't f@#k up your ride. out here in cali it is labeled as racing fuel at the pump. it is $5.50 a gallon and it is pretty tight because you can feel the little extra power from it. i talked to the clerk and he told me it is actually good for your car every once in a while.the thing that sucks is that they put a lock on the pump after eight o' clock.
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

calypso is an unknown quantity at this point
what gas station is the racing fuel at ? or where in l.a. ?
Old 11-27-2003
Banned

Originally posted by nynezilla
the 100 octane fuel doesn't f@#k up your ride. out here in cali it is labeled as racing fuel at the pump. it is $5.50 a gallon and it is pretty tight because you can feel the little extra power from it. i talked to the clerk and he told me it is actually good for your car every once in a while.the thing that sucks is that they put a lock on the pump after eight o' clock.
Yea, a gas station clerk is a good person to take car advice from. You might as well take my comment serious about putting diesel in ur Civ....
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why put into a car that only requires regular.
Old 11-28-2003
Registered!!

cvcpwr2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by nynezilla
i was referring to diesel, not 100 octane. i use 91 all the time. you can feel a little more pep, plus its better for your car, less sediment settles in your gas tank
Old 11-28-2003
I Am The Funky Monkey!!!

BausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the rough
The only time I use a higher octane is when I'm going on long distance drives. When I lived up in Seattle, I got around 40mpg on 93 octane. When I made the same trip on 87, I only got 36mpg. I could only imagine putting in 100....hmmm....
Old 11-28-2003
Pimp Juice Distributor

Location: Dallas, Tx but now Virginia Beach, VA 'cause of job...
SeCosCiV is an unknown quantity at this point
I use the highest at the pump whenever I get gas, not diesel though, is that ok?
Old 11-28-2003
Banned

Originally posted by Prod
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

actually, I use ONLY shell gas. 87 octane, and always fill it full and run to almost E.
Shell gas? Don't tell me you fell for that commercial that ony "Shell" gas gets you better gas milege.
Old 11-28-2003
Registered!!

nuffsed is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 91 and it works out cheaper because i get more mileage, and my car runs smoother...

but 100 would be a complete waste of money in my eyes... the car only needs 87...
Old 11-29-2003
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
Here's a question...if it would really hurt, would they sell octane booster?
Old 11-30-2003
Registered!!

Blainestang has a spectacular aura aboutBlainestang has a spectacular aura aboutBlainestang has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by evilone
Here's a question...if it would really hurt, would they sell octane booster?
Octane Booster isn't really for factory cars. If you read the bottle, it says "UP TO 50hp INCREASE!!!!! fine print: because higher octane allows you to up the boost on your car."

Generally cars are built to run a certain fuel, and unless you change the timing or something, it will run best on that. Now, many computers will 'learn' to get used to premium if you use it, and will run crappy on regular if you switch back, but it should 'relearn' regular and run just fine.

Also, probably about 2 years ago, MT or C&D did a test with different octane gas and the Honda Accord, which was built to run 87, actually LOST 5 hp when switched to 93!!!! Is it possible that some of the 'gains' from running premium in cars built to run 87 or whatever is in your mind, since you assume it SHOULD because its more expensive or more octane or whatever? Food for thought.
Old 11-30-2003
Registered!!

INCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
why use anything more than what is suggested?
i hear all kinds of excuses, but no real proof
Old 11-30-2003
Registered!!

shmeb is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 93. I get better mileage with it than 87 or 89.
Old 11-30-2003

Boiler_Room is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Boilermaker1
It'll probably make the car run worse. The compression isn't high enough to burn it. The higher the octane, the harder it is to get it to detonate, so the engine will just have to work harder to run. Just put 87 in it. Thats what the car is designed and tuned to run on... anything higher is just wasting money.

Could not have said it better myself...
Old 11-30-2003
Registered!!

hoho is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by shmeb
I use 93. I get better mileage with it than 87 or 89.
u better be getting GOOD *** mileage wit the 93 to make up for the extra money u spent on the expensive gas....i jus use regular.....
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

centurioncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
if you still have a cat and run race gas ur gonna have a cloggedass cat after you run it. but if you dont have a cat go for it, my friend drop .3 sec. in the quarter on race gas.
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
I just always use 92/93 cotane (cant remember exactly) and I hate switchign to somethign else in an emergency... only had to do that once tho
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

barfly is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are already using the proper octane fuel, you will not obtain more power from higher octane fuels. The engine will be already operating at optimum settings, and a higher octane should have no effect on the management system.
from octane FAQ

Last edited by barfly; 12-01-2003 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 100 percent octane