Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   100 percent octane (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/127234-100-percent-octane.html)

ferio 11-27-2003 03:46 PM

100 percent octane

hi can someone explain to me what will happen if i put 100 octance in my car? i mean will it do anything performance wise? keep the engine cooler etc? or will i fVck up my engine? thanks!

Mr.Modify 11-27-2003 03:48 PM

why would you want to do that ? i doubt it would do anything performance wise ( like give you 100 extra hp LOL) but if you have no reason to put it in then why would you? And if you do have a reason what do you have?

Edit: where would you get some thing like that? at a race track?

Boilermaker1 11-27-2003 04:11 PM

It'll probably make the car run worse. The compression isn't high enough to burn it. The higher the octane, the harder it is to get it to detonate, so the engine will just have to work harder to run. Just put 87 in it. Thats what the car is designed and tuned to run on... anything higher is just wasting money.

cryption 11-27-2003 04:25 PM

^^^ well put boilermaker ....

KingTorq 11-27-2003 05:01 PM

incomplete burn (burns too slow for a vic), =loss of power. it would prolly kill your cat by dumping too much unburned fuel on it. If you milled your heads down to, say, 13:1, and figured how to bump your timing up, then your car would sing on 100 octane, but would ping on 91.

your car is basically tuned for 90 oct. it may pull some timing if the gas is lower grade, and may do full advance (which aint much) if you run 91/93, but you may hit full anv. with 89- that is kinda car to car diff, and station to station gas quality.

HustleLikeMOFO 11-27-2003 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
... anything higher is just wasting money.
WRONG!

I say this over and over in the gas threads, Diesel is the best way to go. Even though our cars are not designed to handle diesel, it still wouldnt hurt putting some in. You will get more hp (15-20 gains), better gas milege and you tires and paint will last longer too.

ferio 11-27-2003 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Mr.Modify
why would you want to do that ? i doubt it would do anything performance wise ( like give you 100 extra hp LOL) but if you have no reason to put it in then why would you? And if you do have a reason what do you have?

Edit: where would you get some thing like that? at a race track?

no dude.. i was arguing with a friend.. you can buy em in some gas stations in cali(so i've heared) for 5 bucks per gallon.. i wasnt tryin on doin it.. i just want info so i could make him shut up on his theory..ok? anyway happy thanks giving to all!!

civicr34 11-27-2003 06:12 PM

i put 87 in my civic and when i get to 80 mph it smells like something died in my engine and then i dipped my finger in the gas tank nozzle are and wiped some residue from the tank and it smelled like ass so i put 93 and everything is good again

NitehawkVTEC 11-27-2003 06:58 PM

Originally posted by HustleLikeMOFO
WRONG!

I say this over and over in the gas threads, Diesel is the best way to go. Even though our cars are not designed to handle diesel, it still wouldnt hurt putting some in. You will get more hp (15-20 gains), better gas milege and you tires and paint will last longer too.

:D

too funny. the paint will last longer! :clap:

cryption 11-27-2003 07:20 PM

awesome! i'm gonna go put diesel in my car right now cuz i need gas .... brb guys

Dr5D 11-27-2003 08:14 PM

I put 100 octane in my car once, and it happened to be the same day my brakes decided to go out... so I couldnet really tell a difference, except that I was broke from paying 3.99 per gallon :_doh:

cvcpwr2k2 11-27-2003 08:15 PM

man, someone is gonna misinterpret and f*ck up their ride

nynezilla 11-27-2003 09:01 PM

the 100 octane fuel doesn't f@#k up your ride. out here in cali it is labeled as racing fuel at the pump. it is $5.50 a gallon and it is pretty tight because you can feel the little extra power from it. i talked to the clerk and he told me it is actually good for your car every once in a while.the thing that sucks is that they put a lock on the pump after eight o' clock.

calypso 11-27-2003 09:15 PM

what gas station is the racing fuel at ? or where in l.a. ?

HustleLikeMOFO 11-27-2003 09:18 PM

Originally posted by nynezilla
the 100 octane fuel doesn't f@#k up your ride. out here in cali it is labeled as racing fuel at the pump. it is $5.50 a gallon and it is pretty tight because you can feel the little extra power from it. i talked to the clerk and he told me it is actually good for your car every once in a while.the thing that sucks is that they put a lock on the pump after eight o' clock.
Yea, a gas station clerk is a good person to take car advice from. You might as well take my comment serious about putting diesel in ur Civ....

Dark_Pyro7 11-27-2003 09:18 PM

Why put into a car that only requires regular.

cvcpwr2k2 11-28-2003 01:32 AM

Originally posted by nynezilla
i was referring to diesel, not 100 octane. i use 91 all the time. you can feel a little more pep, plus its better for your car, less sediment settles in your gas tank

BausHaug 11-28-2003 07:51 AM

The only time I use a higher octane is when I'm going on long distance drives. When I lived up in Seattle, I got around 40mpg on 93 octane. When I made the same trip on 87, I only got 36mpg. I could only imagine putting in 100....hmmm....

SeCosCiV 11-28-2003 09:06 AM

I use the highest at the pump whenever I get gas, not diesel though, is that ok?

HustleLikeMOFO 11-28-2003 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Prod
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

actually, I use ONLY shell gas. 87 octane, and always fill it full and run to almost E.

Shell gas? Don't tell me you fell for that commercial that ony "Shell" gas gets you better gas milege.

nuffsed 11-28-2003 03:24 PM

I use 91 and it works out cheaper because i get more mileage, and my car runs smoother...

but 100 would be a complete waste of money in my eyes... the car only needs 87...

evilone 11-29-2003 07:23 PM

Here's a question...if it would really hurt, would they sell octane booster?

Blainestang 11-30-2003 02:42 PM

Originally posted by evilone
Here's a question...if it would really hurt, would they sell octane booster?
Octane Booster isn't really for factory cars. If you read the bottle, it says "UP TO 50hp INCREASE!!!!! fine print: because higher octane allows you to up the boost on your car."

Generally cars are built to run a certain fuel, and unless you change the timing or something, it will run best on that. Now, many computers will 'learn' to get used to premium if you use it, and will run crappy on regular if you switch back, but it should 'relearn' regular and run just fine.

Also, probably about 2 years ago, MT or C&D did a test with different octane gas and the Honda Accord, which was built to run 87, actually LOST 5 hp when switched to 93!!!! Is it possible that some of the 'gains' from running premium in cars built to run 87 or whatever is in your mind, since you assume it SHOULD because its more expensive or more octane or whatever? Food for thought.

INCivic 11-30-2003 02:46 PM

why use anything more than what is suggested?
i hear all kinds of excuses, but no real proof

shmeb 11-30-2003 05:25 PM

I use 93. I get better mileage with it than 87 or 89.

Boiler_Room 11-30-2003 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
It'll probably make the car run worse. The compression isn't high enough to burn it. The higher the octane, the harder it is to get it to detonate, so the engine will just have to work harder to run. Just put 87 in it. Thats what the car is designed and tuned to run on... anything higher is just wasting money.

Could not have said it better myself...

hoho 11-30-2003 11:11 PM

Originally posted by shmeb
I use 93. I get better mileage with it than 87 or 89.
u better be getting GOOD ass mileage wit the 93 to make up for the extra money u spent on the expensive gas....i jus use regular.....

centurioncivic 12-01-2003 12:10 AM

if you still have a cat and run race gas ur gonna have a cloggedass cat after you run it. but if you dont have a cat go for it, my friend drop .3 sec. in the quarter on race gas.