General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2004 corolla is getting the 2zzge ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00celicagts6spd is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 corolla is getting the 2zzge ...

they are detuning the GTS engine to 170 hp and sticking it in the new corolla XRS!!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...Akw&kw=Corolla

bout time. they shoulda left it at 180 added a lsd and compared it to the sentra spec v
Old 11-06-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda's getting behind..
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

yeah i think it'll take the SI
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

AudioQuest is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like it's standing on stilts. Yuck.
Old 11-06-2003
Raceway Park Track Tech.

LazyDog01 will become famous soon enoughLazyDog01 will become famous soon enough
new corolla XRS

Honda Wake up...SI to slow
Old 11-06-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
They are only taking 10hp. So that thing should be pretty fast. It does look too high. Toyota must not be too concerned with the handling of it.

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band.
Old 11-06-2003
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn..honda needs to wake up and start putting more power into our cars..they're getting beaten by everyone!
Old 11-06-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That car looks nice, and it's fast. All it needs is a drop.
Old 11-06-2003
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills

Jollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really nice
That corolla is seriously ugly and it sits way too high.
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

Keep in mind its a family sedan still so nothing a lil drop cant fix!! Given the temperament of lift I still think it'll be slow but faster than the SI but a lil slower then the SVT focus.
Old 11-06-2003
Raceway Park Track Tech.

LazyDog01 will become famous soon enoughLazyDog01 will become famous soon enough
Like we been saying honda need wtfu.
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
It don't matter how ugly .. owners of it will make fun of us.
Old 11-06-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Drove my aunts 03 corrolla. car is soo uncomfortable. pedals are way to close. But yea. honda is getting behind like always..
Old 11-06-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
looks like new grounds to bring in the CtR
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

they need to bring out an Si with the K20A2 AWD and weighs about 2000 lbs give that elise a run for its money. lol
Old 11-06-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Honda is stupid
no CTR for us. All they do is making economics cars i guess. even PT cruiser come with turbo now days.
But who knows..

Last edited by civicvtec1ps; 11-06-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be happy with a K20A3 in my EX coupe...
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by civicvtec1ps
Honda is stupid
no CTR for us. All they do is making economics cars i guess. even PT cruiser come with turbo now days.
But who knows..
not only that, that ugly *** thing has the SRT-4 motor. WITH a FMIC.

that's harsh
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

kennisonxgs is an unknown quantity at this point
I still think the Corolla's interior sucks. Civic's is nicer especially the dash.
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Six-speed tranny. Nice
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

7thG2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CivicRookie

Honda's getting behind..
Honda has always been behind...
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

DroppIN808 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's time to trade my vic in for an rsx-s...
Old 11-06-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
The Corolla XRS will feature a newly tuned version of Toyota's 2ZZ dual overhead cam engine and six-speed manual transmission found in both the Celica GT-S and Corolla Matrix XRS. The increase in power will be complemented by improved ride and handling, thanks to a sport-tuned suspension and new steering improvements.

"With the popularity of the sporty Corolla S, the logical next step was to match its youthful styling with a performance-driven powertrain," said Don Esmond, Toyota Division senior vice president and general manager. "We expect the XRS to follow the course started by the S grade by appealing to younger customers, with an increase in single male buyers."

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band.

Despite the increase in power, fuel economy is hardly compromised with initial estimates of 25 miles-per-gallon in the city and 32 on the highway.

The XRS features a sport-tuned suspension that includes a front connecting rod damper developed by Yamaha. The damper is mounted between the shock towers to produce improved ride and handling without compromising NVH. In addition to the performance damper, the XRS features increased rate coil springs and shocks on all four wheels for improved roll and pitch, and a ride height that is lower by a full half-inch.

The suspension stands on larger 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels and Michelin performance tires, an upgrade from the standard 15-inch wheels on all other Corolla grades. It is complemented by a steering system that features a more rigid steering column, producing less vibration and improved response. A power steering rack specially developed for the XRS allows for better steering feedback.

The improved performance of the Corolla XRS is accompanied by performance-themed convenience enhancements including sport seats, color-keyed bezel surrounding the grille, silver-colored center cluster and switch plates, a leather-like shift boot with a leather shift ****, and unique badging.

The Corolla XRS will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (TMMC) in Cambridge, Ontario alongside the Matrix. It will reach dealerships on May 1st of next year. Annual sales of the XRS are projected at approximately 5,000 units.

Old 11-06-2003
FIJI-STEVE IS THE OFFICIAL 7THGEN QUEER

Civicster should not be trusted
if they are pricing that model to be less expensive than the gt celica. toyota is dead!
Old 11-07-2003
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band
Well the text doesnt really agree with the pictures

Notice the redline
Old 11-07-2003
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that's the instrument panel from a regular Corolla.
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

cheukkin is an unknown quantity at this point
ugly ***, not impressive still an ugly corolla, I don't think it's powerful compare with the big jump new echo IMO, 170hp can't beat a turbo or supercharge with 980 kg echo...but seriously, honda and acura is getting behind....sigh..
Old 11-07-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
i duno why everyone keeps on saying honda is getting behind..

when honda doesn't go for that market.. barely anyway.

it should be evident by now what kind of market Honda focuses on.. and it certainly isn't the performance market (although they have a few in that direction... )

but the Civic will always remain to be an econobox... if anything it'll become more and more like an Accord...

as for the Si.. well, its a bad move but they're going to stick with it, I think. lol.

the Civic Type R may roll around though. *shrug*

and boy that car is sitting a bit high... I know corollas are high already.. but this is a bit more noticable. heh.

I dont see a Civic dx, lx, ex... with anything more than 140 hp anytime soon. maybe the next generation.

they can pump a lil more out of the Si's powerplant though... they might do that what with all the sport compact market.. (bring in the R, or stick with the RSX... )

remember, as much as Honda is big here in north america, their worldwide sales do not compare much to Toyota and other makes.
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

7thG2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CapYoda
i duno why everyone keeps on saying honda is getting behind..

when honda doesn't go for that market.. barely anyway.

it should be evident by now what kind of market Honda focuses on.. and it certainly isn't the performance market (although they have a few in that direction... )

but the Civic will always remain to be an econobox... if anything it'll become more and more like an Accord...

as for the Si.. well, its a bad move but they're going to stick with it, I think. lol.

the Civic Type R may roll around though. *shrug*

and boy that car is sitting a bit high... I know corollas are high already.. but this is a bit more noticable. heh.

I dont see a Civic dx, lx, ex... with anything more than 140 hp anytime soon. maybe the next generation.

they can pump a lil more out of the Si's powerplant though... they might do that what with all the sport compact market.. (bring in the R, or stick with the RSX... )

remember, as much as Honda is big here in north america, their worldwide sales do not compare much to Toyota and other makes.
Well said!! Honda outside the states trails behind Toyota amd Nissan.
Old 11-07-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
it seems like honda has a lot of catching up to do in the world of performance.

Quick Reply: 2004 corolla is getting the 2zzge ...