Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   2004 corolla is getting the 2zzge ... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/123901-2004-corolla-getting-2zzge.html)

00celicagts6spd 11-06-2003 12:28 PM

2004 corolla is getting the 2zzge ...

they are detuning the GTS engine to 170 hp and sticking it in the new corolla XRS!!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...Akw&kw=Corolla

:clap: bout time. they shoulda left it at 180 added a lsd and compared it to the sentra spec v

CivicRookie 11-06-2003 12:33 PM

:eek:

Honda's getting behind.. :_disgust:

00celicagts6spd 11-06-2003 12:40 PM

yeah i think it'll take the SI

AudioQuest 11-06-2003 12:46 PM

It looks like it's standing on stilts. Yuck.

LazyDog01 11-06-2003 12:48 PM

:_puke: new corolla XRS

Honda Wake up...SI to slow

robbclark1 11-06-2003 12:55 PM

They are only taking 10hp. So that thing should be pretty fast. It does look too high. Toyota must not be too concerned with the handling of it.

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band.

guamcivic2k1 11-06-2003 01:20 PM

damn..honda needs to wake up and start putting more power into our cars..they're getting beaten by everyone!

gearbox 11-06-2003 01:34 PM

That car looks nice, and it's fast. All it needs is a drop.

Jollysid 11-06-2003 01:36 PM

That corolla is seriously ugly and it sits way too high.

00celicagts6spd 11-06-2003 01:39 PM

Keep in mind its a family sedan still so nothing a lil drop cant fix!! Given the temperament of lift I still think it'll be slow but faster than the SI but a lil slower then the SVT focus.

LazyDog01 11-06-2003 02:35 PM

Like we been saying honda need wtfu.

kenji4861 11-06-2003 02:43 PM

It don't matter how ugly .. owners of it will make fun of us.

civicvtec1ps 11-06-2003 02:56 PM

Drove my aunts 03 corrolla. car is soo uncomfortable. pedals are way to close. But yea. honda is getting behind like always..

aznboysrfr 11-06-2003 03:09 PM

looks like new grounds to bring in the CtR

00celicagts6spd 11-06-2003 03:38 PM

they need to bring out an Si with the K20A2 AWD and weighs about 2000 lbs give that elise a run for its money. lol

civicvtec1ps 11-06-2003 03:39 PM

Honda is stupid
no CTR for us. All they do is making economics cars i guess. even PT cruiser come with turbo now days.
But who knows..

CivicRookie 11-06-2003 04:33 PM

I'd be happy with a K20A3 in my EX coupe...

dragoon 11-06-2003 05:27 PM

Originally posted by civicvtec1ps
Honda is stupid
no CTR for us. All they do is making economics cars i guess. even PT cruiser come with turbo now days.
But who knows..

not only that, that ugly ass thing has the SRT-4 motor. WITH a FMIC.

that's harsh :yell:

kennisonxgs 11-06-2003 05:49 PM

I still think the Corolla's interior sucks. Civic's is nicer especially the dash.

01civicboi 11-06-2003 10:51 PM

Six-speed tranny. Nice

7thG2003 11-06-2003 11:01 PM

Originally posted by CivicRookie
:eek:

Honda's getting behind.. :_disgust:

Honda has always been behind... :D

DroppIN808 11-06-2003 11:11 PM

I think it's time to trade my vic in for an rsx-s...

cambo 11-06-2003 11:25 PM

The Corolla XRS will feature a newly tuned version of Toyota's 2ZZ dual overhead cam engine and six-speed manual transmission found in both the Celica GT-S and Corolla Matrix XRS. The increase in power will be complemented by improved ride and handling, thanks to a sport-tuned suspension and new steering improvements.

"With the popularity of the sporty Corolla S, the logical next step was to match its youthful styling with a performance-driven powertrain," said Don Esmond, Toyota Division senior vice president and general manager. "We expect the XRS to follow the course started by the S grade by appealing to younger customers, with an increase in single male buyers."

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band.

Despite the increase in power, fuel economy is hardly compromised with initial estimates of 25 miles-per-gallon in the city and 32 on the highway.

The XRS features a sport-tuned suspension that includes a front connecting rod damper developed by Yamaha. The damper is mounted between the shock towers to produce improved ride and handling without compromising NVH. In addition to the performance damper, the XRS features increased rate coil springs and shocks on all four wheels for improved roll and pitch, and a ride height that is lower by a full half-inch.

The suspension stands on larger 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels and Michelin performance tires, an upgrade from the standard 15-inch wheels on all other Corolla grades. It is complemented by a steering system that features a more rigid steering column, producing less vibration and improved response. A power steering rack specially developed for the XRS allows for better steering feedback.

The improved performance of the Corolla XRS is accompanied by performance-themed convenience enhancements including sport seats, color-keyed bezel surrounding the grille, silver-colored center cluster and switch plates, a leather-like shift boot with a leather shift knob, and unique badging.

The Corolla XRS will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (TMMC) in Cambridge, Ontario alongside the Matrix. It will reach dealerships on May 1st of next year. Annual sales of the XRS are projected at approximately 5,000 units.

Civicster 11-06-2003 11:27 PM

if they are pricing that model to be less expensive than the gt celica. toyota is dead!

Got Boost??? 11-07-2003 02:01 AM

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band
Well the text doesnt really agree with the pictures

http://t.wieck.com/PV/2003/11/04/TYT...0459953_PV.jpg

Notice the redline

dalaw 11-07-2003 02:43 AM

I think that's the instrument panel from a regular Corolla.

cheukkin 11-07-2003 04:45 AM

ugly ass, not impressive still an ugly corolla, I don't think it's powerful compare with the big jump new echo IMO, 170hp can't beat a turbo or supercharge with 980 kg echo...but seriously, honda and acura is getting behind....sigh..

CapYoda 11-07-2003 08:48 AM

i duno why everyone keeps on saying honda is getting behind..

when honda doesn't go for that market.. barely anyway.

it should be evident by now what kind of market Honda focuses on.. and it certainly isn't the performance market (although they have a few in that direction... )

but the Civic will always remain to be an econobox... if anything it'll become more and more like an Accord...

as for the Si.. well, its a bad move but they're going to stick with it, I think. lol.

the Civic Type R may roll around though. *shrug*

and boy that car is sitting a bit high... I know corollas are high already.. but this is a bit more noticable. heh.

I dont see a Civic dx, lx, ex... with anything more than 140 hp anytime soon. maybe the next generation.

they can pump a lil more out of the Si's powerplant though... they might do that what with all the sport compact market.. (bring in the R, or stick with the RSX... )

remember, as much as Honda is big here in north america, their worldwide sales do not compare much to Toyota and other makes.

7thG2003 11-07-2003 09:14 AM

Originally posted by CapYoda
i duno why everyone keeps on saying honda is getting behind..

when honda doesn't go for that market.. barely anyway.

it should be evident by now what kind of market Honda focuses on.. and it certainly isn't the performance market (although they have a few in that direction... )

but the Civic will always remain to be an econobox... if anything it'll become more and more like an Accord...

as for the Si.. well, its a bad move but they're going to stick with it, I think. lol.

the Civic Type R may roll around though. *shrug*

and boy that car is sitting a bit high... I know corollas are high already.. but this is a bit more noticable. heh.

I dont see a Civic dx, lx, ex... with anything more than 140 hp anytime soon. maybe the next generation.

they can pump a lil more out of the Si's powerplant though... they might do that what with all the sport compact market.. (bring in the R, or stick with the RSX... )

remember, as much as Honda is big here in north america, their worldwide sales do not compare much to Toyota and other makes.

Well said!! Honda outside the states trails behind Toyota amd Nissan.

cryption 11-07-2003 10:20 AM

it seems like honda has a lot of catching up to do in the world of performance.