General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Type-S Powered Civic Coupe Rumour.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003
Jeremy's Iron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm... there was another rumour in a previous issue that said we shouldn't be "suprised" if Honda decided to bring over the Type R engine in the form of a hatchback... It's when they listed their Top 10 cars of the Year or some crap like that, they said it at the end after talking about the RSX-S.

And no, it wouldn't steal sales from the RSX-S. Someone brought up a point that only a few people would even know about the K20, and the weight differences of the Civic and an RSX-S. This is very true, because there just aren't enough informed people. And I'm sure there's quite a few, but half of those probably won't even be able to afford it anyway.

Either way, since no one here actually works for Honda, there's just no way in knowing what their future plans are. They might come up with something we haven't even THOUGHT about, and it's gonna kick ***.
Old 10-21-2003
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
f series rwd civic.......yeah right...but i would love to see a civic type s or even a type r cpe.....i think it would do wonders for the linup as there really isnt anything honda side to start where the prelude left off....what a sec.....honda just needs to bring the lude back........thats just me tho
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

MugenEx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man I'm happy with my D17 killin V6 stangs and the ford fookus and other domestic and non domestic 4 cylinders. Sure its no V8 killer but hey I'm content....yeah right a K20 swap is in the future. Peace.
Old 10-21-2003
Reppin Stage 7

XTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enoughXTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enough
Wasup Tim...this is Juan.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
The lude is coming back in the 2005 lineup thats what my sales manager says at my dealer. The only thing that he's not saying is if it is going to be rear wheel drive. He did say the price should be a lil lower than the type S and will have a 6 speed transmisson.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Bigmac is an unknown quantity at this point
if the lude is going to be RWD, it would defenately kill RSX-S!!!

and its drivetrain may be a potential swap for future projects
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

MatrixShark is an unknown quantity at this point
That would be awesome.
Old 10-21-2003
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
what 05 prelude? what? another rumor?
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

honda_2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
honda has to do something about our 115bhp engines, celica has 18Obhp, suzuki has engines with 14O+ bhp, toyota corolla has 13O+ bhp and even the EVO has more BHP than CIVIC
Old 10-21-2003
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
Originally posted by curbsquirrel
umm...no they dont own all. the new Si's have the same HP number as the coupes did, and have something like a 20% torque increase...i'm not sure of the exact number. and with the iVtec, the new Si's have the full powerband at the driver's fingertips LONG before the coupe hits Vtec...with or without our 6800 redline. and the weight difference is not even a factor...the older Si's are only a couple hundred pounds lighter anyways...

anyways, honda will never go thru with this....its just like the CTR...just like the RSX-R...if they did it, sweet...i'd probably think of getting one...but no one should hold their breath over a rumor

yeah but they look better. Actually, they look Waaaaaaaay better.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

MindLeSs is an unknown quantity at this point
if Honda was to do that, people would prolly just take the engine out of those cars and put it into their cars instead of buying it....or maybe not...or maybe...i dunno....
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Blur3737 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes the 05 lude is commin back but no one will admit it cause everyone thinks its a rumor and they all say the v6 accord cpe took it's spot in honda's line-up, but indeed it is makin a return and once I hear all the details about it I'll decide if I wanna put my name on the list and trade in my 7th gen cause it's a prelude and it's gonna be great, I heard 220hp but thats prob a rumor, my guess would be 200 like the last one but with the K20a2 maybe? unless they bring back the H22, I have no idea I just know it's comming back and is supposed to be a big seller! so put ur names on the list!
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Blur3737
yes the 05 lude is commin back but no one will admit it cause everyone thinks its a rumor and they all say the v6 accord cpe took it's spot in honda's line-up, but indeed it is makin a return and once I hear all the details about it I'll decide if I wanna put my name on the list and trade in my 7th gen cause it's a prelude and it's gonna be great, I heard 220hp but thats prob a rumor, my guess would be 200 like the last one but with the K20a2 maybe? unless they bring back the H22, I have no idea I just know it's comming back and is supposed to be a big seller! so put ur names on the list!
The Prelude won't be a big seller if they sell it with a 200 HP engine, especially if it's anywhere close to the price the old one was, $26,000 for a Type SH. You can pick-up an RSX-S for $22,000 in most areas which is 4 grand less than the last year Prelude and get everything, plus some, that the Prelude offered. Also, it certainly wouldn't have the H22 because in terms of engine technology the K20 is far more advanced.

On a rant - I hate how everyone talks about what a great car the Prelude was. If you thought it was such a great car you should've bought one. Personally, I really liked the styling and for a FWD car it handled well. However, people act as though the car was perfect. It was a heavy FWD car with inadequate power that was overpriced.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

A few years ago I was choosing between buying a Prelude or buying an Integra GSR. I chose the GSR.

If it was priced higher than an RSX-S. The "next" Prelude would have to offer us considerably more to be viable. That means more power and maybe all wheel drive or something else similarly substantial.

Last edited by MatrixShark; 10-21-2003 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

Stone is an unknown quantity at this point
If they did bring it back it would probably mostly the name, I think it would look considerably different, with just some sibtle cues to show its heritage with the old prelude.

Yeah, they would def. have to either drop the weight or give it over 220 HP, AND drop the price, because face it, they WERE overpriced.

I would like to see a RWD version, 6 speed.

I dont think they would use the H22, unless they upped the displacement and made say an H25. Most likely it would be the K24 that went into it, because unless they totally make it another car, its going to be a little heavy.

This is all just speculation though, because who knows, its just a rumor right now until I see some kind of official confirmation such as a news flash on Hondas web site or something.

Im gonna go do a search right now, see what I come up with on this subject.
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
it aint gonna happen cuz rsx and rsx-s sales will go down the *******
Old 10-22-2003
Raceway Park Track Tech.

LazyDog01 will become famous soon enoughLazyDog01 will become famous soon enough
it all hope. and maybe honda will do it. until then i stick with ex :")
Old 10-22-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
getting a JDM K20A to pass CA emissions would probably not fly
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

Stone is an unknown quantity at this point
they would never put the JDM K20 in the civic, unless it was like 2007 and it was outdate or something
Old 10-28-2003
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Acura is actually cutting back the RSX sales because they want to move up-market.

I see that this is very possible... but than again I also heard that we would get the ITR (RSX)
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

SMURF_KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
no I don't think there will be
Old 10-29-2003
Banned

reelbigfishc22 is an unknown quantity at this point
ya.. honda does not compete with acura... they are the same thing.... honda is for cheap people, acura is for rich people.. plain and simple
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

SMURF_KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
but in Japan all there is is honda, and don't get caught driving an Acura because you will be laughed at by everyone
Old 10-29-2003
Rota C10 Coming Soon.

mphole is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't quite see ANY possibility on this.
Old 10-29-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Honda probably wouldnt put the RSX-S engine in the civic (Non hatch). At most they would just drop the Si drivetrain in. Why compete with your self? just make an Si in both Hatch and Coupe and presto, More sales! with out competing against the RSX. Remember boys and girls, Its all about the $$$$. Honda dosnt really care about making a really fast civic, they care about making a civic that will sell to the masses and make lots of $$$$. We, sadly, are not the masses they cater to.
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

^^^You pretty much nailed it. It's all about the green. However, we don't know what Honda is thinking. They could very well be looking to renew their youth market appeal. Dropping a 200HP K20 into a civic coupe at the factory would definately create some excitement. This "coupe type-s" could easily run with Dodge's turbo neon and mazdaspeed's protege. If you look at the market, the time is right for high performance compacts. Only the bean counting pencil pushers at Honda know if this is the right thing to do.
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

cduone is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 03 coupe and I love it but every once in a while it would be nice to have the motor of the SI. Honda should have done this in the beginning. The 7th gen is in its 4th year...Correct? Well How much longer until the 8th gen civic comes out?
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

TMRakip is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda will NOT put that out. There would be no reason to offer the RSX if they did. There is a 99% chance the Civic will remain an econobox, but I do think it would be wicked cool if they did!
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

cduone is an unknown quantity at this point
If honda would have just made the rsx/integra with the honda emblem here in the states, then they would be more willing to offer better engine choices in the coupe. Just like with BMW 330i/530i Same engine.......... 540i/740i/840i Same engine............ 328i/528i Same engine........... 545i/645i/745i Same engine...........750/850 Same engine. These groupings have the same exact engine sizes and I don't see BMW having a problem selling any of their cars. There is no conflict of interest.

The conflict comes when Honda made the Acura brand which only exist in the States. Because in Japan and abroad their all hondas. The TSX is the honda accord euro-r, the rsx is the honda integra. Honda should have just kept everything honda over here and we wouldn't be getting jipped from larger engine options. The marketing people have created this problem in my opinion. I don't know why honda treats the american market different from other overseas market. We have just as many enthusiats with money as they do overseas. Nissan is just as guilty.
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

SatinEX is an unknown quantity at this point
1) If Honda only offer a Civic type-S sedan (for ppl like me ), then it won't hurt RSX sale.
2) Can Honda build a regular coupe using the S2000 and name it the Prelude 05'? Why waste a awsome engine/chassis/body style???
Jmho of course.

Quick Reply: Type-S Powered Civic Coupe Rumour.