General 6th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

1996 Civic Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018
dgm
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dgm is an unknown quantity at this point
1996 Civic Timing Belt Question

Hello to everyone. First post here.

I have a 1996 Civic with 57,000 easy miles. The car is in overall very good condition - body & mechanical. It is a 4dr with the low performance engine - the one with the CAT converter attached to the exhaust manifold. The car has never had the timing belt changed, and I was reading the manual the other day, and it mentions changing the timing belt after 10 years regardless of the mileage. My mechanic had never brought this up with me.

I plan on keeping the car for about 3 more years, which would be about 5 to 6 thousand more miles. My questions is: am I safe with the current timing belt for the next 5 to 6 thousand miles, or should this be a priority to get it changed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1996 Civic Timing Belt Question

Originally Posted by dgm

I have a 1996 Civic with 57,000 easy miles. The car is in overall very good condition - body & mechanical. It is a 4dr with the low performance engine - the one with the CAT converter attached to the exhaust manifold. The car has never had the timing belt changed, and I was reading the manual the other day, and it mentions changing the timing belt after 10 years regardless of the mileage. My mechanic had never brought this up with me.

I plan on keeping the car for about 3 more years, which would be about 5 to 6 thousand more miles. My questions is: am I safe with the current timing belt for the next 5 to 6 thousand miles, or should this be a priority to get it changed?

Thanks in advance.
If it runs well no troubles Just get it done. the Last thing You need to happen is be stranded far away from home because You knew that You had a old timing belt ready to break with-out a moments notice.
Old 12-22-2018
dgm
Registered!!

Thanks for your answer. I guess I should have said, this car never gets more than 5 miles from home - it is a grocery hauler.

The difference in price between a shop doing this job, and doing it myself is huge. In the past, I've done a lot of work to other cars (mainly 60's & 70's American cars). Is this a candidate for a DIY job?

Old 12-22-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

It can by diy-ed depending on your skill level.
get it done soon though, you're on borrowed time
Old 12-23-2018
dgm
Registered!!

OK, thanks for your help.
Old 12-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99stockcivic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dgm

Thanks in advance.
I would get it done as well. 10 years is about the max length you normally want to go, but I've seen 15 years survive on easy mileage cars and you've gone way past that. I'd count myself lucky and change the belt. It's around $500 but it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 12-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dgm
this car never gets more than 5 miles from home
It can break in your driveway but when it does break it can be pricey to fix (ask me how I know). Like upwards of $1500!!

It's really not a bad DIY job. There are lots of helpful DIY's out there.
Old 12-24-2018
dgm
Registered!!

OK, based on what has been told to me here, I'm going to go ahead and do it asap.

I was looking at a Aisin TKH-005 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump. I've read that is the better of the options to go for. PLEASE correct me if that doesn't sound right.

I have a D16Y7 engine. The information I've looked into says that is the right kit for my engine, but the kit itself only mentions the D16Y8 motor. Now, I've read that the belt, water pump, tensioner, etc. is the same - is this true?

Also, other than the kit and the Lisle 77080 19 mm Harmonic Balancer Socket for Honda, what else do I need before I start like gasket maker, loctite, etc.

I've looked at video's and instructions for the job since yesterday, and I think it is within my skill level, but I'd be happy to be given links to info that people have found useful.

BTW - THANK YOU to everyone here for your help.

Last edited by dgm; 12-24-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 12-24-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

You should strongly consider using Honda parts. Parts should work for y7 or y8
Old 12-24-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

OEM!!

If it breaks or fails it’s more expensive then the money you saved on parts!

i recommend getting the crank holding tool. Makes the job easier. It’s not needed but is nice.
Old 12-24-2018
dgm
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
You should strongly consider using Honda parts. Parts should work for y7 or y8
According to the information on the Aisin TKH-005 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump, it is OEM on the Civic. Here is the quote: "Original equipment matched idler and tensioner bearings, Original equipment matched timing belt supplied by Mitsubishi".

Can anyone confirm this, or is this some tricky way of lying on the part of the makers of the kit?
Old 12-24-2018

You've had two people tell you to use oem, what do you think?
The oem replacement on my car doesn't say mitsubishi