General 6th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Question of cars value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyCleverName is an unknown quantity at this point
Question of cars value?

Greetings...
New here, and most likely a short stay, but I know you forum folks have a good grip on the cars supported here (I'm currently active on 2 other Euro car forums myself, and have been doing online forum support on various other cars since the early 90's.)

So here I am, asking those that know the Civic.

I'm looking for opinions on the value of my 98 Civic EX, as I suspect an insurance company is going to considered it totaled (rear-ended, although still driving it today)
I expect to be low-balled below any 'normal' value per the insurance company typical BS, but I think the value is near the highest out there for this car?

Here is what I will likely loose:
Pristine and rust free.
1998 Civic EX 2dr (White)
55,000 miles
Special edition(?) (Special Factory Rims, Rear Spoiler, Sunroof)
Auto
Cassette

Family owned since new (Father purchased, passed to me, and now used by my son.)

Sadly, I'm seeing prices at about $2500 with online searches, but none listing a pristine car with such low miles.
Is it the forums experience that $2500 is the best I can fight for if they total the car?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Vince
Old 11-29-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Question of cars value?

You might get a little more, argue the low mileage and good condition. Be polite.
How bad is the damage?
Old 11-29-2018
Registered!!

Damage is certainly more than $2500 by body shop standards. Replace bumper, and assembly would hide most external visuals, but it did put a light warp in the pass. quarter panel, and my son says the trunk now leaks, meaning something got pushed out of shape there. The car in back obviously went under the ***-end, and crumpled the spare tire well, but interestingly enough, thats all you see from underneath.

Like I said... I have no doubt they will write it off, but what it was, vs what they will offer makes me nervous, as there is no real comparison out there to be found...
Sigh...
Old 11-29-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If the frame is bent then it will definitely be totaled. Body work is hard to estimate as there are a lot of factors involved. When my Fit was totaled they asked me about anything that I had on the vehicle and what condition it was in. They do take that into consideration but if you have a good agent they will fight to get you highest possible price. You also may still decide to keep it and fix it your self I believe.
Old 11-30-2018
Registered!!

Just went back over an looked at the car. It appears the upper (most rearward) part of the rear passenger quarter panel has been pushed inward by 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It is only obvious when you close the trunk lid and see the gap is missing. I told the kid to go get a few shops to look at it for the basic cost of just pulling that area outward so the trunk can once again seal properly. Ive got a hydraulic spreader with enough power, but I'd have to find a way to brace one side so it could push the other outward. I cold consider a buy-back if it can be done reasonably. Replacing the rear bumper from a junk yard is simple enough...

My daily driver is a manual Galant VR4, which he could never operate, and my garage queen is a Jaguar XKR, so he is kinda screwed in finding something reliable, yet dirt cheap to replace the Honda if everything goes south on this loss...

Thanks again for the help!
Vince
Old 11-30-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Get another civic of the same generation and use it as a parts car. Or buy a shell and drop the low mileage engine and trans in to it and keep the rest of the car for parts
Old 11-30-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

KBB site? this is a made-up check using my own zip code, so do yours

https://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/1998...tion=excellent

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-30-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
KBB site? this is a made-up check using my own zip code, so do yours

https://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/1998...tion=excellent
Copy that... KBB is the highest, while Edmonds and AutoTrader only reach 2500.

Until I hear from them Monday, I'm just second guessing that they will lowball and try to walk away... As my son was sandwiched between two cars, the car that nailed him from behind is trying to say my insurance is responsible for the car in front of him.... That's BS, as the rear car always takes responsibility as damage occurred when he was pushed forward. I Just don't trust them...

Not gonna be easy to replace this car for what it has (Namely low miles and excellent condition) for the dollars they will offer, regardless.

Peace!
V
Old 12-01-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good luck!