General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masker is an unknown quantity at this point
Window tint

Hey guys!

I've been wanting to tint my front windows and i plan on doing it myself to save a few dollars.

Just wanna know if it would be an easy job. Also, should i get pre cut or get a film and from vid tutorials some are using heat guns and some not what is your opinion?

I have a civic 09 coupe.

Thanks and happy Easter!

Last edited by Masker; 03-30-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2018
Registered!!

pjweber is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Window tint

I tried it once, many years ago before the internet was invented. It was a disaster and was unsuccessful. The money i spent went in the trash and i ended up going to a tint shop.

Things may be different for you since there is so much good info and videos on line. You might just want to get a quote from a good shop in your area just to compare against you doing it your self.
Old 03-30-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

]you can do it yourself. i would recommend calling decorativefilm.com - you'll get a better price than what they list online and you can speak to someone knowledgeable to make sure you end up with good brand and high quality stuff(as opposed to thick stiff stuff that will turn purple). just cut it to fit the outside of the glass and then apply wet to the inside. i make application fluid using a spray bottle, water, a shot of rubbing alcohol, and 1 drop of palmolive dish soap. the soap helps it spread evenly and the alcohol helps it dry faster. most important thing is getting a good quality film, not autozone stuff. second most important is getting the glass 100% spotless and free of wax/grease/etc, third most important is making sure the film goes below the rubber trim inside and take your timetrimming around the window edge with a nice new sharp xacto.

if you can afford it though, a reputable shop that will warranty it is a much better option (:
Old 04-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meanie is an unknown quantity at this point

I also contemplated doing my own and watched several videos on the subject. It does look fairly easily, just a bit time consuming to get the right water/soap mixture, squeegee the air bubbles out, etc. Therefore, I just decided to have a shop do it since they included a warranty, but I also had the entire car done.

Since you're only doing the front windows, it shouldn't be that expensive and they will have it done in a fraction of the time you would do it yourself.