General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Did I hurt my engine?? ( 1.5l turbo )

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mortoma5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did I hurt my engine?? ( 1.5l turbo )

Hi everyone, new here! My basic question here is did I hurt my car? I may have accidentally hit my rev limiter while driving my 2018 Civic EXT sedan w/ 6 sp. manual. It's the first turbocharged car I have ever owned and now I think Honda should teach and warn people about the do's and don'ts of driving a turbo if they are novices. I was accelerating down an on ramp to get on an interstate and was up on cam in second gear at about 4000 RPM ( at least ) when I nailed the throttle even more before shifting into 3rd to go really fast. Before I even was able to hit 3rd the car practically stopped in its tracks as if it shut off the fuel injectors or something. I was not looking at the tach when this happened so my estimate of 4000 revs before I nailed the gas pedal is an estimate. Plus I was not looking at the tach when the shutdown occurred either. It all happened so fast. But yep, I think I hit the rev limiter. The car still has less than 7,000 miles on it and still even has the new car smell and all. Did I hurt the engine? I realize I for sure didn't do it any good. Don't want to take it to the dealer or even mention it to them because I'm afraid that might have violated the warranty since it was my bad. So you guys that know more about turbo Civic please chime in and tell me what you think. I feel like I'm a dumbass but I'll take a few jabs, that's ok...

Last edited by mortoma5; 09-14-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Did I hurt my engine?? ( 1.5l turbo )

rev limiter is a limiter.
It is there to stop the engine revving any further by cutting off the fuel, so as to not to damage the engine (yes, this is what the limiter is designed to do).

any real questions?

The only case it would go really high enough to damage would be to shift to 2nd at 100MPH (car weight will pull the engine to higher RPM)
Old 09-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did I hurt the engine? I realize I for sure didn't do it any good.
No, it's fine. You could mash the gas pedal to the floor and leave it there all day and it wouldn't hurt the engine, the computer controlled rev limiter is designed to prevent the engine from hurting itself.

Don't want to take it to the dealer or even mention it to them because I'm afraid that might have violated the warranty since it was my bad.
OTOH if you downshift incorrectly as mentioned above and force the engine rpm far beyond its maximum, that should void warranty coverage on the damage.
FYI the computer can store fault codes related to excessively high engine rpm.

and now I think Honda should teach and warn people about the do's and don'ts of driving a turbo if they are novices.
Teaching people how to drive is not the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer....but Honda is apparently trying to do something along those lines:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20271/h...to-drive-stick
Old 09-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
rev limiter is a limiter.
It is there to stop the engine revving any further by cutting off the fuel, so as to not to damage the engine (yes, this is what the limiter is designed to do).

any real questions?

The only case it would go really high enough to damage would be to shift to 2nd at 100MPH (car weight will pull the engine to higher RPM)
Wow, very snarky and insulting attitude for a moderator with the "any real questions" stab. A rev limiter is not a perfect thing like any mechanical or electronic system designed to to protect stuff. Probably not a perfect solution to stop any damage at all, just stop complete destruction. The RPM probably could still go to high for a fraction of a second. I thought there were actual expert mechanics that knew more than I did here. That's why I came because I'm not about to tell me dealer about it. I know a little but just wanted to get a more knowledgeable opinion. I realize since I didn't actually see the RPM at the very second it happened that would limit help people could give but that does not mean people should be on the nasty side.
Old 09-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No, it's fine. You could mash the gas pedal to the floor and leave it there all day and it wouldn't hurt the engine, the computer controlled rev limiter is designed to prevent the engine from hurting itself.

OTOH if you downshift incorrectly as mentioned above and force the engine rpm far beyond its maximum, that should void warranty coverage on the damage.
FYI the computer can store fault codes related to excessively high engine rpm.

Teaching people how to drive is not the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer....but Honda is apparently trying to do something along those lines:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20271/h...to-drive-stick
Thanks for at least a more civil reply than the moderator. Obviously a car manufacturer is not going to have any responsibility towards teaching anything. I was not talking about learning to drive a stick, that's all I have driven for more than 30 years. I can drive stick as good as any 18 wheel driver. I was referring to the much higher responsiveness ( apparently ) that a turbo appears to have when it's up on boost and you nail the throttle. I was not expecting it go from about 3000 to 4000 RPM to the red line nearly instantaneously! As a person that's driven Hondas nearly exclusively for 30 years, and manual tranny ones at that, I never had any experience in turbo-charged vehicles because Honda simply has never made one ( at least for the stock vehicle USA market ) until 2016. In an older Hondas like I drove in the past, if I was holding my shift in second or third gear to a high RPM and then nailed it, it would respond but there would never be any real threat it going to go all the way to the red line so quickly!! It would take a while with the cars I was used to driving in the past. That's all I was trying to say. But yeah, I am an expert at manual shifting, just not turbo experience.
BTW, engine codes are a moot point because I can erase those. We have our ways!!

Last edited by mortoma5; 09-15-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was not expecting it go from about 3000 to 40000 RPM to the red line nearly instantaneously!
Now you know it can and will do that!
The more you know about what it's capable of, the better you can control it

Thanks for at least a more civil reply than the moderator.
Some days I'm the snarky one. Maybe yesterday it was his turn LOL
Old 09-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

duh, ezone is also a moderator
regardless of turbo, cutting the fuel will cause the engine to enter into engine braking mode, and the car momentum is not gonna make engine over rev. Pure physics. Not gonna happen.
If a Corvette does not have problems, i don't see why a civic turbo would have issues with hitting the limiter but still go over revving. Nope, not gonna happen.
Simple as that.
Old 09-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Also, unless you are in a really steep downhill, the only thing providing acceleration is the fuel.
Cut fuel and voila. No acceleration. No RPM increase.

thus, not gonna happen.

It only happened with carbureted cars because no limiter., aside from rare ignition cut cars.
Old 09-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ducebigalow is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, this sounds exactly what happened to me in my 2018 hatch lx manual, 2 months after I got. I was trying to get off fast from a light in 1st, high revs into 2nd, and while attempting to shift from 2nd to 3rd it was like for a split second the car, shut off, but the engine was still on and the car was still moving. It went into 3rd, but just before that transition there was an interruption in power. My buddy that was with me at the time was like "what was that"? I thought maybe the traction control had kicked in because it was winter here (Canada) at the time, even though the roads seemed fine. People on other sites also thought it was the traction control, but it is possible I hit the rev limit too. I also wasn't watching the tach when it happened. I was shitting my pants because I thought the same as you, I ruined my new car. However, I did in fact talk to the dealership told them what happened, they checked the car (computer) and couldn't find anything a miss. The car has been fine since, and yes I have nailed it a few times since. Really if that's all it takes to break a Honda engine, they wouldn't be selling many cars REAL fast. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've redlined my 2018 civic (granted, CVT, but I was in sport paddle shifter mode) and didn't think anything of it. I accidentally money-shifted my 2002 and that legit scared the **** out of me. Gunning it on an on ramp, went from 3rd to 2nd instead of into 4th and the tach went to about 9k+ RPMs, but thankfully no damage noted. Engine was pulled apart probably 30-40k miles later for head gasket change, and no internal damage was found.