General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

How do I AVOID causing a problem with an OBD2 scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowButSteady is an unknown quantity at this point
How do I AVOID causing a problem with an OBD2 scanner?

Mostly out of curiosity, I bought a generic OBD2 scanner. Other than not plugging it in how do I avoid causing any problems with this tool? Are there any commonly known mistakes that are best avoided? My cars are a new 2018 Civic LX Sedan and a 2015 Fit LX. Neither car has any problem I'm aware of.

I know not to insert or remove anything from the port with the engine running... and I think that I would know enough not to press some button that said, "Delete Main Memory." What else?
Old 04-23-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I AVOID causing a problem with an OBD2 scanner?

You cant really screw anything up with a scanner. Erasing the memory just clears DTCs. If theres a problem that causes it, code will pop right back up after the sensors come online.

I plug my scanner into my obd port with the engine running all the time with no issues
Old 04-23-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Make sure you plug it in straight so you don't bend any of the pins (seen it)
Engine on or off doesn't make a difference
Old 04-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^^

It's not like your code reader/scanner can do any reprogramming or affect the software in the computers.
Old 04-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i can only think of you erasing the codes that you actually wanted to show the mechanic.
Old 04-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

One of the biggest problems I see is people just reading a code then throwing parts at a problem.

A misfire code (for example) does not automatically mean 'replace spark plugs'.
Old 04-23-2018
Registered!!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate each of the very level-headed responses.

I received the scanner today, loaded two apps into my iPad, and will cautiously try the scanner with my Civic tomorrow. The Fit however has one of those "snapshot" insurance spy devices in its OBD2 port for another few months I think. I've not had any problems yet with that intrusion, but I would never again agree to such an obnoxious scam. I will be delighted when I hear that Progressive get sued and fined big time over this nonsense. They've already completely lost all the goodwill earned by "Flo" and her bubbly smiles. The Fit has a fairly small battery and I've found it necessary to go out and start up and run the car for 10 minutes before my wife commutes a short distance to work---no big deal, but it wasn't necessary before the device was plugged in and left there 24/7.

I'll throw a big party when Progressive informs me the spying is over. You're all invited --- B.Y.O.D. (dongle)

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 04-23-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Some observations:
  • When it's pouring rain and your car is parked outside... is NOT the best time to hunt for the location of the OBD2 port for the first time.
  • You should not expect to think, "Wow! I sure got my money's worth." when you plug a new code scanner into a brand new vehicle... and nothing turns up wrong.
  • "Free" scanning software is designed mainly to tease you into buying the full version, but you did know this ahead of time. Right?
  • I can name a number of cars that have interior cabin fuse blocks which are easier to access. Note to self: "Phone for appointment with chiropractor before changing a fuse inside this Civic."
I've purchased many tools before I needed them. This is one I'm confident will pay off.
Old 04-24-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Honestly the $5 or whatever for the full version of the app is worth it.
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

I'm using a WiFi dongle with an iPad. There are just a few full versions of Apple iOS software that will work with this, but I don't know which is best. The
scanner manufacturer scanner manufacturer
seems to push in favor of Car Doctor or Dash Command.

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 04-24-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

delete
Old 04-24-2018

I don't use apple products so I can't really comment on that.
I use Torque Pro on my phone, do they make an Apple version of that?
Old 04-24-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SlowButSteady
Some observations:
  • When it's pouring rain and your car is parked outside... is NOT the best time to hunt for the location of the OBD2 port for the first time.
  • You should not expect to think, "Wow! I sure got my money's worth." when you plug a new code scanner into a brand new vehicle... and nothing turns up wrong.
  • "Free" scanning software is designed mainly to tease you into buying the full version, but you did know this ahead of time. Right?
  • I can name a number of cars that have interior cabin fuse blocks which are easier to access. Note to self: "Phone for appointment with chiropractor before changing a fuse inside this Civic."
I've purchased many tools before I needed them. This is one I'm confident will pay off.
hahaha! good ones!
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

I admit that I have not tried out much OBD2 software, but it seems that most of what is out there falls within two distinct categories:
  1. software that might give you a clue as to why your "Check Engine" light came on---so you can save a few bucks, and
  2. software that appeals to your desire to be in the commander's seat of a space shuttle. "Ground Control to Major Tom...."